DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alcohol Start Up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol Start Up
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the mechanical advance and the lightest weight springs you can get your hands on. I've tried the magic steps during starting in every possible combination and broke stuff. Starters, Bellhousings, flex plates, even broke a callies dragon slayer crank once. All of my experiences were on methanol with MFI.

If you have not already done so, ohm every plug wire including your coil wire. I found a bad coil wire once that was causing most if not all of my problems on one combination.

On 2 other setups, (540+ cubic inch BBC's with iron heads) methanol and or gas, MFI and carbureted, both motors would kick back no matter what magic sequence i tried. Mechanical advance and really light weight springs in the distributor solved the kick back problem in both motors. Like someone else already said these two motors started like street cars with no issue after i put the mechanical advance back in service on the distributor.

Start retard in the msd box did not work for me on any of my setups. I think its because the MSD box needs a reference for it to retard from therefore it must see the reluctor pass the pickup a few times prior to retarding the timing. IE you get a few sparks at full timing as soon as the box is turned on. These are the ones that break flywheels and starters.

Every motor i have ever run with MFI has had a Rons Primer Plus system on it, well worth the investment.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I pump it 3-4 times. let it sit at least 2 minutes. Longer will make it easier. and Longer when colder also, 5-6 minutes. Turn ignition on. Leave throttle closed for a moment as the starter first turns, and crack throttle slightly. 5 degrees pulled at 0 rpm from main timing, main timing kicks in at 800 rpms in grid. alky carb. Works for me on any car, multiple engines, 12v and 16v.

16v is a lot nicer tho!

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Ditto on the mechanical advance and the lightest weight springs you can get your hands on. I've tried the magic steps during starting in every possible combination and broke stuff. Starters, Bellhousings, flex plates, even broke a callies dragon slayer crank once. All of my experiences were on methanol with MFI.

Install MSD Grid 7730. It can be programmed for any starting retard for rpm desired. And it can be programmed for many other functions as well. Plugs right into that old analog ignition.

If you think primer plus is great (it’s excellent), Go Grid!

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of brian hansbury
posted Hide Post
I Have 3 With Alky Carbs Unless Its Very Cold Out Step One Pump To Floor Two Times Spin Engine Over No Ignition , Two More Pumps Spin Over then turn ignition on while cranking will fire everytime .... if cold out a splash in each corner of carb first time will start normal rest of day !!

Posts: 16 | Location: east nassau | Registered: April 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post