DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Crower bushed lifters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crower bushed lifters
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a set with around 300-400 runs...super smooth and the rollers show no wear.

What sort of life are you all seeing with these?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It depends on your engine combo....Garage door springs and/or 8k+ rpm have a huge influence on life expectancy....But I will say, in my opinion, 300-400 runs would warrant a return for a rebuild.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4471 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine got about 1000 runs out of the .937 in a 1400 hp Ford engine before he did eventually lose one.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
It depends on your engine combo....Garage door springs and/or 8k+ rpm have a huge influence on life expectancy....But I will say, in my opinion, 300-400 runs would warrant a return for a rebuild.

Or you can keep running the lifters until they break, then you know you didn't waste your money having them rebuilt too early

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4471 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What breaks on a bushed lifter? Just curious because I never heard of one breaking.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
What breaks on a bushed lifter? Just curious because I never heard of one breaking.

I had the wheel fall out of an Isky back in the spring. They were all smooth about 50 passes before failure. They had a few hundred passes and had been through at least one blow up. One other lifter was rough on disassembly.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When you say wheel fall out do you mean the axle failed in it? I am curious because my builder tried turning me to bushed lifters but I have never had a Crower HIPPO needle bearing lifter fail and I don’t change mine out like most do.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
When you say wheel fall out do you mean the axle failed in it? I am curious because my builder tried turning me to bushed lifters but I have never had a Crower HIPPO needle bearing lifter fail and I don’t change mine out like most do.

I don’t think I know for sure. The body spread. I think the axle is still in the wheel but I didn’t bother to retrieve it from the water jacket

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were all smooth about 50 passes before failure.

BJ, What kind of kind of valve clearance checking regimen do you practice?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bushing lifters have their place,they come apart like anything else though. 400 sounds about right to have em looked at, to me.

You can't run a bushed lifter on an engine like this with spring pressure approaching 1400 open, it'll dig a ditch in the lobe.

I'm old school, I run Crower needles.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thought that was why they have these bushing lifters with dlc to run huge spring pressures and distribute it over a larger surface area. Not picking just trying to understand why you said it would grove the love. I dont see why it would act any differently on the lobe itself.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
why are you concerning yourself with what some nobody that doesn't race and is not a professional engine builder, rather assembled an engine in his storage unit for some broke dyck?

The who's who of professional race engine builders whos's customers are the who's who of bracket and class racing use bushing lifters almost exclusively in their engines whether they make 1000 or over 2000HP!

http://sunsetperformanceengine...=PRO%20LITE%20SERIES

https://sdparts.com/i-24134221...ce-crate-engine.html

https://www.shafiroff.com/chev...r-charged-engine.php

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I thought that was why they have these bushing lifter with dlc to run huge spring pressures and distribute it over a larger surface area. Not picking just trying to understand why you said it would grove the love. I dont see why it would act any differently on the lobe itself.

More pressure more friction, It's why you won't see a bushing lifter in a pro stocker, so much friction / pressure, a ditch is dug in the lobe.

I suggested you take a good look at the Denny Sreward lifters, we're gonna. We've already bought a couple sets of pushrods from him. Nice, thanks for reminding me of him in Florida.

The real benefit of a bushing is the fact if you hurt one, a lot of times you can drop another in without disassembling engine. Same as a needle, only a needle lifter has a smaller window before it explodes.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this is the BRACKET TALK FORUM not the Pro Stock Talk Forum!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Edward shut your stinking lying mouth pretending, we already have enough lying stinking mouths pretending corona, destroying millions of lives and jobs. I built this building on my property and I'll race when I find something that will be a worthwhile challenge. The 370 pro tree at Bradenton turned out to be too easy after everyone said it was impossible 3200 lbs on a 10 x 28 bias tire, with a factory condition Nova.

Shut your lying stinking mouth, pretending.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of factors involved in the life expectancy of a (any) roller lifter. Lifter size, lifter bore/lifter clearance and alignment with the lobe, spring pressure, cam profile, lubrication, rocket arm/retainer clearance and any related binding will drastically shorten the life of a lifter.

A lot of the time we tend to lay the fault on the roller lifter when it may well be sometime else. If you are continually losing roller lifters the failure could be caused by something other than the just the lifter. If you don't identify the cause you are going to be constantly replacing lifters and cams.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

and Bracket Talk too!

Impressive fluorescent lights Laughing very hard BlahBlah

Meanwhile, you still are not a professional race engine builder and no one of note runs anything you have assembled in bracket racing or NHRA Class racing.

Again, you are a NOBODY!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Edward loves playing pretend with his stinking mouth deceit, typical lefty -wrong

Where's the pretend here Edward?

There is no pretend here Edward - Right?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Edward are you intimidated I build my own engines, transmissions and you're a crate engine racer.

Well don't be Don Garlits was my hero so I took after him, he was a hands on drag racer also from Tampa Fl. No need for you to be sour with your stinking mouth pretending on the internet, from hundreds of miles away hiding behind a keyboard. Smile

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
WHEN are you guys going to let this go???? You jump on each other with every post. Both of you are very smart except with one subject, and you know what that is.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post