DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    6SPD TRANS STRENGTH
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6SPD TRANS STRENGTH
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
sO i HAVE 6 SPD OUT OF MY 96 Z/28. Building it into bracket door car. I can sell trans and get good piece of change. Problem being me. I love driving straight gear. I also have a 1969 panel truck with 454 pretty mild just cam,heads,intake headers nothing bada$$. Thinking about poping 6 spd in it. Great gas mileage and retain straight gear fun. Problem again me. Man has to know his limitation and controlling my inner 16 yo show my butt self is beyond my limitation.LOL

Question I have is will 6spd live behind bb with tq factor. I lived behind the LT-1 with some ,well hard driving. That was small block making about 350 and in Camaro not heavier truck.

Anybody know what power level these things are good for?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
IIRC it's a T56. It's probably rated for 450 ft lbs of torque. T56's came in a wide variety of vehicles including Vipers. It "may" be OK...however a friend of a friend asked my last week about repairing the broken T56 out of his big block equipped "57 Wagon.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Woody B,

Tell him do not ask Chevorlet.According to three parts guys they are not serviceable, I guess when they assemble them they weld them shut.

Panel is better idea than the buggy I am working on. Tube chassis with 2 seat,gas tant lil 30" bed and 383 SBC does not need a trans with .5:1 6th gear.LOL Then again a 52 yo suspenion does not need 170 mph top end ablity if I own it , I know the z/28 rand 155 in 5th and no numbers left to read 6th

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It'll be fine as long as you're not gonna put slicks on it and dump the clutch at 5000 RPM. They are a little expensive to repair when you break it so keep that in mind as well.

There are a number of different T56's. Vipers have them Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. They are all different. Viper will take more power than Mustang and Camaro. The newer cars have the TR6060 which is a little stronger than the old T56. Aftermarket is a Magnum unit, stronger than all of them but still commonly called T56.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post