DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Throttle drive by wire ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throttle drive by wire ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
My grandson has started racing his grandmas 2011 Lexus GS350.
He was very successful in Jr dragsters.
His RT are all over the place with the lexus. While at the drags last Saturday a buddy mentioned the successful drive by wire racers are using a device that plugs into the factory throttle wire loom and allows the throttle response to be changed. (Roar pedal)
This got me to thinking is fly by wire inconsistent in applying the throttle body? Does anyone here have any real world experience with this drive by wire modification?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2042 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a pedal commander on my daily and its amazing how it boost throttle response. it has 3 setting and 4 steps on each setting. I barely have it above stock becaus ethe other are to jumpy...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1533 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
I have a pedal commander on my daily and its amazing how it boost throttle response. it has 3 setting and 4 steps on each setting. I barely have it above stock becaus ethe other are to jumpy...

Do you feel it would help in a foot brake situation?

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2042 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
although I havent footbraked in 30 years it would have to help I would think.... more consistent? i dont know about that

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1533 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a newer Ram that has poor throttle response when throttle is at 0% tps. It’s a complaint by many and some use an enhancer like mentioned. I’ve always left foot braked when not driving using three pedals. Doing a small power brake when pulling away from a dead stop overcomes much of the hesitation daily driving and towing.

Posts: 2539 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use the Sprint Booster V3 on my corvette. Probably the #1 mod anyone should do. Here is a demo that makes it crystal clear.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2349 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My wife has a GS350 (love that car) so I did a little experimenting on this today. The car has good power, but the computer really kills it if you have a foot on the brake, and it responds really lazily when you pull your foot off the brake. No bueno! I thought maybe Sport+ Mode would help, but no dice.

In stock form, it seems to be way better to deck it from idle but you'd need to figure out some odd timing as there is still the delay, as you know. Hopefully you can find a mod that works!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3185 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
You can tune that out of the throttle. That is a lazy torque management thing.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1226 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:

Burt can you expand on this tune?

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You need to find a tuner that deals in Lexus vehicles.

Posts: 695 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:

Burt can you expand on this tune?

From my understanding the gas pedal is now just like a TPS. Just another 5 volt sensor you can assign a value to the voltage output...just what the add on box does.

The auto makers make somethings less responsive because there are stupid drivers out there.

I been looking into these things lately because I am working on my Trailblazer SS...Looking to get it sub 12.00 to footbrake it just for a little fun

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1226 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
here is another thing that may help your grandson out before you buy any add-on devices. At least it is worth a try, (depending on available controls and settings in the vehicle). If you can turn off or disable any factory traction control and other similar safety aids. My truck has Traction Control and something GM calls Stabili-Trak (?) Can't remember what exactly that is), these can be turned on or off with switches on the forward console. I was playing around with them one day, and with both of those disabled, the truck reacts a lot quicker from a dead stop, even if you don't mat the throttle. I don't know if they affect throttle response specifically, but I do know that most traction control on factory vehicles works by using the ABS system to apply brake pressure to prevent wheel spin. So I'm thinking that canceling that feature out could theoretically make a big difference in R/T's and ET's...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1059 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all that have contributed on this post.
Pretty good ideas.
Thanks again.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
OEM's often "program" the ECU such that the ETV is opened per "their" programming, regardless of what the driver wants. IF they can open it slower, they can also slow down or sometimes eliminate accel enrichment, which helps emissions among other things.

Remember "back in the day" when people were saying that "fly by wire" was justified on cars the same way it's justified on fighter jets? LOL. If people only knew that fighter jet engines do not have throttle response. From half thrust to full thrust it might take a few seconds depending on the engine.

I hate ETV's. Certain applications they're kind of nice, such as off-road or rock bouncing-where the ecu is programmed to "ignore" the frequent application and release of the throttle while bouncing around. Also on electric cars, people talk about how you have instant torque. No, you have as much torque as the MCU wants you to have which in most cases is less than instant.

It's all about control of the throttle, and that's why etv's are very common now. And with that, ETV's are pretty inconsistent. A good tuner can fix that though, but the driver usually notices the "fix" as making the throttle kind of jerky. If you have different drive modes some ecus can be programmed so that one drive mode is like a throttle cable (or as close as you can get to it) where the "comfort mode" might be like OEM. My Mustang has these but it's still nowhere near cable-like in "drag strip mode".

also torque management is used to ease the load on the transmission, and that too leads to inconsistencies. So does traction control. So in order to help consistency, you need the ability to turn off a lot of those nannies.

Posts: 124 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post