DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Engine oil testing shoot out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine oil testing shoot out
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
Remember, oil is not just oil.

https://youtu.be/TWuKvnCq1js

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
hss product comparison tests are always good.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Note that it's 5W30. Generally considered the best oil available today from a wear (film strength) standpoint.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Mobil 1 getting beat up by Walmart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
And 1/2 the guys on here will still say they prefer to use regular oil instead of synthetic and just change it more often or use conventional 20w50 like its 1965!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 634 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...will still say they prefer to use regular oil instead of synthetic...

Not going to debate the syn vs. conventional, but some conventional oils have very good film strength. O'reilly's 5W30 for example.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I run dino oils because it never gets hot, and doesn't get many hours before it's changed. Synthectic is a waste of money in a bracket engine, ALTHOUGH, even the "conventional" Valvoline is now a synthetic blend.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1677 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yep, seen that video before. Never seen my engine oil get above 225* in either the race car or my 10 yr old 1/2 ton pulling a 7k lb enclosed up Fancy Gap going North @ 60 mph when it’s in the 80’s.

ME, I use Citgo SuperGuard because it’s inexpensive and I change it every 3-4K miles with a Wix filter. Under $20

For some good information about the oil you’re purchasing go HERE .

Posts: 2484 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
hss product comparison tests are always good.

I’m glad you shared that link as he was not on my radar. Both entertainment and so good test info on a wide variety of stuff.

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
One little comment about the tests. Virgin oil lab tests are a great first step for weeding out crappy oil. That’s how I found Brad Penn was junk with a slick marketing plan.
But, the used oil lab test is the real tell tail. Hi compression is brutal on oil and so is methanol fuel.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How many here have experienced oil related failures in their race engines? Not lack of oil. But quality of oil?
In all my racing years and all of those years building my own engines, never once have I had a failure related to the actual oil.
I run methanol, and a vac pump, and heat my oil. Two changes per season.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bucky, hey Bucky, what kind of motor oil you using?
Motor oil is motor oil. LMAO

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5318 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Bucky, hey Bucky, what kind of motor oil you using?
Motor oil is motor oil. LMAO

You always answer a question with a question? LOL.
Valvoline VR1 for a while now. I have used Mob1 years ago, cheap house brands....all same results. Never any failures or bad looking bearings that the builder didn't deserve.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Mobil 1 getting beat up by Walmart.

Thought I read Amalie Oil bottles for Walmart? I'll look for that.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4522 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
How many here have experienced oil related failures in their race engines? Not lack of oil. But quality of oil?

I have. I ate up 3 flat tappet cams before I learned not to run Mobil 1 synthetic. It took my hard head 3 times to realize the common denominator in cam failures was the change to M1. I went back to Havoline and no issues. This was before all the zinc hype came out and nobody really knew the zinc was being removed from oil.

This was more of a street engine that I bracket raced in sportsman. Just a little 350 hp 355.

I run STP now for zinc additive. I'll listen to all the negativity on this and just smile and walk away. My engine builder uses STP on flat tappet cams for break in lube and has for decades. That's good enough for me.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1391 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I have. I ate up 3 flat tappet cams before I learned not to run Mobil 1 synthetic. It took my hard head 3 times to realize the common denominator in cam failures was the change to M1. I went back to Havoline and no issues. This was before all the zinc hype came out and nobody really knew the zinc was being removed from oil.

This was more of a street engine that I bracket raced in sportsman. Just a little 350 hp 355.

I run STP now for zinc additive. I'll listen to all the negativity on this and just smile and walk away. My engine builder uses STP on flat tappet cams for break in lube and has for decades. That's good enough for me.

I should have put a modifier in there about flat tappet cams. Oil and flat tappets have their own relationship.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I had a manager at Oriley tell me that their house brand oil if made by Valvoline. Thats what he said anyway.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
I ate up 3 flat tappet cams before I learned not to run Mobil 1 synthetic. This was before all the zinc hype came out and nobody really knew the zinc was being removed from oil.

I've been running Mobil 1 Synthetic either 5w-30 or 10W-30 in my street/strip and race engines from the mid 80s until sometime in 2018. Over those 33 years, I have run hydraulic flat tappet cams, solid flat tappet cams and roller cams in BBC engines from 396/402 to 454/468 to 522/533 to 618 in my dragster and never ate up any of those cams.

Just saying.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:Virgin oil lab tests are a great first step for weeding out crappy oil. That’s how I found Brad Penn was junk with a slick marketing plan.

When was this?? Can you post the sample results ??

Posts: 2484 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:Virgin oil lab tests are a great first step for weeding out crappy oil. That’s how I found Brad Penn was junk with a slick marketing plan.

When was this?? Can you post the sample results ??

X2! I am very intrigued.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post