DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Importance of a quality transmission fluid
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importance of a quality transmission fluid
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
​this is what Allison's Transynd was designed for and to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkVN6ZqloSI

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So we leave in high gear a lot of the time and see temps in the 200-210 range on the regular. When we started this I put Valvoline Maxlife atf (Red bottle) in both cars because it was 17.97 a gallon at Walmart and I expected to be changing it on the regular. Both cars have had multiple 200+ run seasons with consistent RTs and the graphs look the same on run 1 as they do on run 200.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 472 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and here is Allison's video presentation on Transynd 668.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XU2BEHBV8

The entire video, mimics the 295 presentation as to why it is better than mineral based fluid and extends drain intervals. At 1:00 minute in they tell us for 7 seconds that it was built from the 295 spec to deliver "a better and higher performance fluid" but never say how.

Me thinks this is all about marketing, relaunching the same product 17 years later after first bringing it to market, under the same name, now calling it 668.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
So we leave in high gear a lot of the time and see temps in the 200-210 range on the regular. When we started this I put Valvoline Maxlife atf (Red bottle) in both cars because it was 17.97 a gallon at Walmart and I expected to be changing it on the regular. Both cars have had multiple 200+ run seasons with consistent RTs and the graphs look the same on run 1 as they do on run 200.

Here is the PI sheets for the maxlife, and it appears to be a decent fluid. Notice in the sheets it meets a tes-295 standard, which is the transynd 295. However, it would be real interesting in your paticular application if actual transynd would cool the transmission down like it normally does compared to other transmissions fluids.

https://sharena21.springcm.com...11-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 711 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
and here is Allison's video presentation on Transynd 668.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XU2BEHBV8

The entire video, mimics the 295 presentation as to why it is better than mineral based fluid and extends drain intervals. At 1:00 minute in they tell us for 7 seconds that it was built from the 295 spec to deliver "a better and higher performance fluid" but never say how.

Me thinks this is all about marketing, relaunching the same product 17 years later after first bringing it to market, under the same name, now calling it 668.

Your old buddy the fluids engineer would know the science.....those videos are for general consumers....not the nuts and bolts engineering.....addictive packages are in ppm typically from what I have seen.....of course it's not some revolutionary change but if it's better for our stuff why not use it. You made the statement for our stuff it wasn't better(668) ....what led you to that statement?

I'm not interested in arguing with you.....but obviously it takes someone who really knows these additives and their affects to tell us why it may or may not be better or if it's like you said.....it is negligible.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, it’s not better, there is nothing they can improve upon with this fluid for our use! Again this fluid is not designed for our cars/transmissions. Again, 668 was formulated to the sane spec as 295. There is no new spec for 668. Again, the original 295 doesn’t shear under extreme temps and loads and because it is a synthetic fluid it’s viscosity remains consistent regardless of temperature that is why it reduces fluid temp in our application. 668 can not reduce our fluid temp further nor can it increase the duration of our use as most bracket racers are putting no more than 250 passes/60 miles on their trans fluid a season and then dumping it.

That said, I suspect they will discontinue making 295.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:

Here is the PI sheets for the maxlife, and it appears to be a decent fluid. Notice in the sheets it meets a tes-295 standard, which is the transynd 295. However, it would be real interesting in your paticular application if actual transynd would cool the transmission down like it normally does compared to other transmissions fluids.

https://sharena21.springcm.com...11-9c12-ac162d889bd1

I have been running the Valvoline Max-Life ATF for many years and did not even know it meets Allison 295 Specs. It has always worked really well for me.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4043 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting conversation.

Historically I’ve used the house brand Type F fluid from NAPA, and change it whenever I remove the converter bolts. It might go 2-3 seasons between engine changes.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3167 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
This has been an interesting conversation.

Historically I’ve used the house brand Type F fluid from NAPA, and change it whenever I remove the converter bolts. It might go 2-3 seasons between engine changes.

I believe you can improve your car with a fluid change. I have actual data that shows the low viscosity fluids are more consistent, and a TOUCH quicker than type f or non synthetic fluids, providing your converter isnt going 7000 rpm. And even IF your converter is going that high, the low viscosity fluids are still more consistent from 1st to last pass of the day.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 711 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agreed

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I was surprised when I read the Max Life chart. I pulled up the chart on Transynd 295. The charts aren't measured exactly the same. The way I read it Max Life may have a little more viscosity. I have a good friend that works in the synthetic oil business. I'm going to ask him to read the charts for a comparison.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1. Valvoline’s Max Life ATF is NOT approved by Allison as meeting the 295/668 spec/criteria.

2. If you want 295 fluid, buy the original. The Allison approved fluids passed the 295 testing criteria, however they were not field tested for 7 years in an Allison 3000 Series transmission on the streets of Germany as was Castrol’s propriety 295 fluid formulated specifically for Allison.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Valvoline’s Max Life ATF is NOT approved by Allison as meeting the 295/668 spec/criteria.

2. If you want 295 fluid, buy the original. The Allison approved fluids passed the 295 testing criteria, however they were not field tested for 7 years in an Allison 3000 Series transmission on the streets of Germany as was Castrol’s propriety 295 fluid formulated specifically for Allison.

Ed, you are correct, but the fluid claims it "Meets" the cryteria. These companies have to pay to get these certification. What that tells me is that Alison/GM has agreed that it will work, but does not mean its what is best for the transmission.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Amsoil has made the same claim since transynd first hit the market in 2004. Bottom line is they are just baseless claims and GM/Allison have not approved them in anyway in their transmissions to provide the same performance as TES-295

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amsoil has made the same claim since transynd first hit the market in 2004. Bottom line is they are just baseless claims and GM/Allison have not approved them in anyway in their transmissions to provide the same performance as TES-295

Yea, but Amsoil is generally trash, and i wouldnt put it in my lawnmower. But i am not a fan of them, or their snake oil salesmen.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Having worked in testing forever...anyone can take a spec run a test and say they meet or exceed said spec. To your point the fluids listed on Allison's site are the ones that paid to be endorsed and have been approved by Allison. I am almost sure those approved manufacturers labs were audited and results reviewed with a process to monitor over time.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
Amsoil is generally trash, and i wouldnt put it in my lawnmower. But i am not a fan of them, or their snake oil salesmen.

Quoted for the TRUTH.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Can the 295 be used in a street driven th400?

Posts: 10 | Location: england | Registered: April 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
OK after reading through all this, I have a question. When I Googled Transynd 668 the only thing that comes up is Castrol branded. Is this what you all are using?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post