DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD Timing Light Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Timing Light Repair
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
We Have a Chrome MSD Timing Light...Never had Good results with MSD Repair of Boxes..Usually just Junk them..Wondering if anyone can Recommend
a source for repair for the Timing Light?? Didn't think the repair would be that difficult..Also any feedback or recommendations on Battery operated lights with a bright flash in the event we just buy another Light..Tanks... Our current Light is a 12V cable type hook up...

Posts: 234 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Never had a bad result with MSD Repair of boxes or distributors. Send it to the people that manufactured it...MSD

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use an old Craftsman chrome timing light, had it for several decades, never failed. I mistakenly did buy a very inexpensive battery operated timing light, I could not see the timing mark on the damper even in total darkness.

Bob

Posts: 3156 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I spoke with MSD Tech, They don't have many parts to support a repair on our PN 8990 Light, and it would be " a crap shoot to send it in" appreciate the assessment...Will buy a new one...

Posts: 234 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My MSD Self-Powered Timing Light #8991 timing is 15 years old and has been trouble free. I just swapped out the 6 AAA batteries 4 days ago.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed, How is the Light's "Flash Quality" is it bright? Daylight effective? Not talking Bright Sunshine here. I used another Racer's MSD self Powered one when helping him check his timing a few years back, and the light output was lousy...He said he bought it used..Maybe it was Junk..My 12V MSD had a far superior Light quality which is why I hoped to have it repaired... If you think it works well enough that it doesn't have to be used inside, tghats great. Prefer the Battery powered Model..

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I really like this timing light. It's plenty bright during the day and is made in the USA. I got mine from Amazon a while back for $75

https://www.esitest.com/P/42/1...tiveClampTimingLight

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This timing light is excellent like all MSD products. The light is bright and no issue reading the balancer in the daylight.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Roger That.....Thanks for the Feedback and Comments to all who replied....

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I use an old Craftsman chrome timing light, had it for several decades, never failed. I mistakenly did buy a very inexpensive battery operated timing light, I could not see the timing mark on the damper even in total darkness.

Bob

Find one of these on fleabay. Get a non dial back version only

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2546 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I've used a dial back timing light for over 3 decades with MSD boxes, never an issue. Still have my Snap On dial back light which reads the same as my MSD light.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Harry's Taxi-2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bruce, I've used a dial back timing light for over 3 decades with MSD boxes, never an issue. Still have my Snap On dial back light which reads the same as my MSD light.

That no-dial back with MSD's was an internet rumor from before the internet.

I have a Snap-on and another (can't recall brand) both dial-backs and they both read dead on.

"Trust the Plan"

Posts: 29 | Location: Newville Pa | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY, started back in the Car Craft magazine days. Never found to be true from my first 6A box in ‘77, nor my 6AL boxes, nor my Digital 6 box, nor my digital 7 boxes, nor my 7AL3 boxes.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a couple old silver Craftsman, MSD. and a dial back snap-on. No problem for the last almost 40 years. Never have a problem with any of them seeing the light flash in the shop. Middle of bright day, if I have to use I grab a large towel and drape over to make the light more distinct.

Posts: 321 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm. Not sure where I saw that non-dial back thing. I keep thinking it was in the MSD nomenclature.

I've got the original Craftsman light I bought retail 40 plus years ago plus the spares I bought for myself and my son. I do have a new dial back version I got off fleabay. I've never used it and really don't know how.

I learn something new every day.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2546 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Craftsman chrome light can't be beat for simple and accurate. As far as the dial back lights I've compared my Mac against my Snap On and the Craftsman and they all read the same as long as the operator keeps the dialback dialed off when comparing.

Posts: 1527 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post