DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    06 Silverado 2500 Vibration
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

06 Silverado 2500 Vibration
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Got one of these with a duramax. It developed a vibration over 45 MPH. Felts like drivetrain so I checked the u joints, they were good but the driveshaft was rusted/rotted up pretty badly, had a new one made and it definitely helped a bunch but it still has a vibration. Between the driveshaft rear yoke and the rear end there a vibration dampener on the pinion, just like on the crank of an engine. It's about 6" in diameter or so. Wondering if this could be bad too. This is also rusted up pretty badly.

It's 4 wheel drive and the front DS u joints are tight.

FYI, it's not tires.

Anyone ever run into something like this?

Thanks

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
check motormounts?

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to mine... I had a u-joint vibration so I changed the joints & hangar bearing, but then had a different vibration. I loosened the hanger bearing and moved it slightly (the mounting holes are slotted) and the vibration went away. It's like you need to have a little "pre-load" on the bearing if that makes sense?

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Same thing happened to mine... I had a u-joint vibration so I changed the joints & hangar bearing, but then had a different vibration. I loosened the hanger bearing and moved it slightly (the mounting holes are slotted) and the vibration went away. It's like you need to have a little "pre-load" on the bearing if that makes sense?

My DS is one piece deal, short bed, ext-cab. No center support.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
check motormounts?

I have not along with the tranny mount but will give them a look.

The vibration starts around 45 to 50 MPH, coasting is worse vs under load also.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
check motormounts?

I have not along with the tranny mount but will give them a look.

Top,
I agree with this. We see this in my transmission shop all the time. You would be suprised at how beat up the trans mount gets. Also, Power-brake the truck in forward and reverse and see if you feel a bump. If you do, replace the engine mounts.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

This leads me to examine the pinion bearing real close. It's hard to hand "rattle check" HD units.

We used to have to grab a handful of worm gear clamps and balance the driveline on the road, I think it was Phord vans that were the worst.

Add weight, move it around to gauge effect, keep at it until it was smooth. Last resort, but it worked.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1659 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Update: Motor mounts are good but it did need a tranny mount. The new mount definitely helped a bunch. Most of it is gone but there is still a slight vibration present. The pinion feels good, we did dump the rear gear oil and it looked very good, nothing on the magnetic drain plug so I don't believe it's bad. So I am still thinking it could be the vibration damper that's on the rear yoke. Any other thoughts?

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
since you are in the rust belt check the emergency brake shoes and that they both are releasing fully.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
since you are in the rust belt check the emergency brake shoes and that they both are releasing fully.

Rear brakes done about a year ago, I never use the E brake also. Also the truck rolls freely.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
The backing plates often rot out and leave everything hanging.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
If it were me, for less than $120, I would change the yoke, and the pinon seal. While I had it off, I would pull the front pinon bearing and take a look at it also.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/mo...05&pt=13594&jsn=2638

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Duramax had a crazy vibration that took a while to show its ugly self and it was the parking brake on the passenger side.

Deteriorated to where parts were getting hit by the flutes of the rotor.

I am doing a complete frame repair and rust removal and needle scaled everything including that weight on the pinion.

I replaced the rear u-joint years ago and did it again recently looking for a slight noise.

Mine has a 1 piece 5” diameter aluminum shaft 8’ bed

I doubt it’s that weight on the pinion causing your vibration.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t already done the mid shaft support and bearing , check it by sliding under and push it up , if you have excessive clearance it will shake at speed. Had to do mine at 166k but was smoother than stick when done. New universals , bearing and mount assy, balanced.
By chance did you lower it???

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
If it were me, for less than $120, I would change the yoke, and the pinon seal. While I had it off, I would pull the front pinon bearing and take a look at it also.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/mo...05&pt=13594&jsn=2638

If I need that, it's not that one, need the one that has 1.375" U Joint caps, 4X the money!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
My Duramax had a crazy vibration that took a while to show its ugly self and it was the parking brake on the passenger side.

Deteriorated to where parts were getting hit by the flutes of the rotor.

I am doing a complete frame repair and rust removal and needle scaled everything including that weight on the pinion.

I replaced the rear u-joint years ago and did it again recently looking for a slight noise.

Mine has a 1 piece 5” diameter aluminum shaft 8’ bed

I doubt it’s that weight on the pinion causing your vibration.

OK, that's 2 votes for the parking brakes. No idea why any truck needs disc's in the rear to stat with!!!! I will give that a good look and get back to all. I have owned the truck for a while now, got it with 68K on it and it know has 155K so the backing plates could have issues. Obviously I had more than one issue too.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
If you haven’t already done the mid shaft support and bearing , check it by sliding under and push it up , if you have excessive clearance it will shake at speed. Had to do mine at 166k but was smoother than stick when done. New universals , bearing and mount assy, balanced.
By chance did you lower it???

My truck, extended cab w/a 6.5' bed has a one piece driveshaft. And no, it's at the stock ride height.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My GMC is a 2500HD and was a pita to do the parking brakes

I replaced everything including the backing plates. Had to pull the axles and the hubs

My truck got so bad parts were falling out in my driveway and the truck jerked to a stop !

It’s a terrible design and reminds me of early Corvettes where I first saw that style. They corrode and rust bad in there and not using them doesn’t help.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Top 38, did you find it?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Top 38, did you find it?

Not yet, between weather and time I haven't had a chance to look further.