DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mopar rb fireing order change
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mopar rb fireing order change
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I understand some Chev racers change cam for another firing order On Mopar #7 and #4 are exchange to do this. I understand benefits for this, what is the downside if any?

Posts: 19 | Location: st paul mn | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane:
I understand some Chev racers change cam for another firing order On Mopar #7 and #4 are exchange to do this. I understand benefits for this, what is the downside if any?

Cost of the cam.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1308 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Usually it's only 25-30 bucks and it's "supposed" to help the harmonics. There is also the LS firing order that swaps 2 & 3 also for about the same cost. Just make sure you write it down we have some 7-4 swap cams and I always have to write it down.

Posts: 615 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Usually it's only 25-30 bucks and it's "supposed" to help the harmonics. There is also the LS firing order that swaps 2 & 3 also for about the same cost. Just make sure you write it down we have some 7-4 swap cams and I always have to write it down.

$25 more for a dodge? if this is true where do you get one? because a 4-7 and 2-3 is a custom cam for a mopar. I hope i am wrong and you can tell me go to xxxxx and get one.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1308 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
http://www.jonescams.com does it for the stated small price increase.

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Don't beat me up on this but I've used Herbert cams for a few builds, but yea these were chevy motors too. Just thought if they do it for them the other brands would be the same? Might be worth a phone call to them.

Posts: 615 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Bullet. Just had a cam ground for my 572. 1.9 spread lifter bore, 7-4, 2-3 swap, used a hemi round lobe blank. Roughly 600.00. John Partridge ext 101 is their mopar guru.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3338 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Don't beat me up on this but I've used Herbert cams for a few builds, but yea these were chevy motors too. Just thought if they do it for them the other brands would be the same? Might be worth a phone call to them.

When I ran Super Street, I ran a herbert roller. I had their cam, lifters, and springs. Ran the lifters for 10 years. Took them out because I felt guilty. Gave the cam to a buddy which he ran until I think a rod took it out. Springs were the same as the lifters, changed them because of guilt. Eventually went with Crane cam, PSI springs and unfortunately comp rollers. Rollers were biggest mistake of racing career, cost me 4 cams and lifter sets.
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3338 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is the downside if any?

I have been running 4/7 and 2/3 4/7 swap BBM cams for many years. The ONLY downside is when blanks are hard to come by and the additional costs. On occasion Wedge head blanks get harderd to come by especially in 55 and 60 MM versions.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1022 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post