DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    iron to aluminum block
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iron to aluminum block
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
what changes , if any, have you had to make to your suspension setups in a dragster when changing from iron to aluminum blocks?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 596 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
None

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DRB motorsports. I noticed you have a Diamond race car. Call Dan as has been noticed with more people running alumn. blocks a few easy changes will make a huge improvement. Also Gary Fleenor at Fleenor Trans. has a Diamond and alumn. motor and this was a change from iron to alumn. I kinda know what the changes are but feel it is going behind someones back to post. Dan has the info on his cars and the data so call him.

Posts: 321 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
same as noted above .... none

except car runs faster because its 110 lbs lighter

Posts: 786 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
same as noted above .... none

except car runs faster because its 110 lbs lighter

I thought block was only 100 lbs. lighter. Is other 10 from right rear hip pocket being lighter?LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
from what i've read , brodix aluminum is 120 lighter than dart big M.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 596 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I would think that ride height would be affected by the amount of the spring rate.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I agree with calling Dan, give him a call and see what he says. But if I had to venture a guess it won't be major changes, and maybe a shock spring rate change..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a Ray Miller I did the engine and transmission. It's owner bought it from guy who weighed 300 plus lbs, and ran a standard issue steel tall deck BBC.

Needless to say, they knew it was gonna need springs when the owners 100 lb daughter got in the car, after I completed the engine & transmission.

They had another identical Ray Miller dragster sitting next to it in the garage aluminum block, the owners other daughter drove.

Springs... maybe

Tall deck

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I switched from iron to aluminum block I also added a 110lb roots blower so it was a wash for me Big Grin

If its a suspended car you might check the before and after right height, that could affect your bar angle maybe just a little if the height is higher with the aluminum block, other than that just run it

Posts: 2491 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Aluminum block, the bigger issue is main bearing clearances at operating temp.

If it's not perfect, it'll run for a little while before showing itself in the line bore to the next guy, who's hired to fix it.

Then it gets real interesting.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I had to move my top bars up one hole. It was shaking the tires bad enough that I had to lift.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
what changes , if any, have you had to make to your suspension setups in a dragster when changing from iron to aluminum blocks?

I'd say it would depend on your setup now but likely just a ride height adjustment.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DRB Motorsports, Did you get a chance to call Dan @ Diamond. I told him Monday about your change and he will be glad to go over what he has found to work well.

Posts: 321 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
no not yet. super busy at work . got time. considering throwing everything from the 598 into an aluminum block over the winter. thanks for checking with him. ill get with him soon .

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Unless youre going 450 or faster, probably nothing. As Top38 said, maybe a slight ride height adjustment, thats about it

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
no not yet. super busy at work . got time. considering throwing everything from the 598 into an aluminum block over the winter. thanks for checking with him. ill get with him soon .

You better order the block now if that's your plan. Brodix was 10-14 weeks out.....

Posts: 123 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:

You better order the block now if that's your plan. Brodix was 10-14 weeks out.....

Got it dropped off at engine builder. Excited to see how much it changes it.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All things being equal, it will pick up about a tenth. That's what I've seen on the ones I've done.

Posts: 123 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
On my 2017 american, i had to change from a 400 lb spring to a 350

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 724 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post