DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Loosing grip after launch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loosing grip after launch
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
As the others said it could be a variety of items, but I would try tightening the extension. After shock fully compresses, if the extension is too loose it will try to return to ride height too fast and not keep the tire planted. Tightening the extension will slow that process down and could keep the tire planted longer.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
Light blue line is 02. Tires are are 7 5psi and brand new. To me it looks like a shock change just not sure which way to go.

I run 10psi on the Shevelle

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N2Ofrog:
As the others said it could be a variety of items, but I would try tightening the extension. After shock fully compresses, if the extension is too loose it will try to return to ride height too fast and not keep the tire planted. Tightening the extension will slow that process down and could keep the tire planted longer.

I have the extension pretty tight currently and compression pretty loose.

Im going to play with shocks and Tire pressure and see what happens

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1993 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it can also be the compression is too loose and causing the tire to unload.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
ok here are my w a g's
compression needs set 1/2 way
extension need 3/4 from soft
air is close
instant center appears to low and possibly to far out if 4 link
loosen front end

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
ok here are my w a g's
compression needs set 1/2 way
extension need 3/4 from soft
air is close
instant center appears to low and possibly to far out if 4 link
loosen front end

I agree with Rusty on this one but would add with those changes the suspension would work the tire harder and may need more air then. As it is right now you are not getting much suspension front or back. The car drops in the rear but that is almost all tire squat.

I would also take shocks off and move rear end all way up and down and see if there is any binding or anything not right.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4200 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
On a door car I like seeing the shocks 2-5 from loose on ext and 3/4 tight on comp depending on settings to make it separate and hold it there. Really fast door cars need stiffer settings. Tire psi can be used to remove or add bite just like shocks and the 4-link. More air more bite, less air less bite. Bobs car has a ton of hit in it and needs more air. I’m running 3190 bubbas on mine with way more air than is being recommended.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. When I got the car the shocks were all full loose. I will try going more on compression and less on extension & some more air pressure. If it ever stops raining maybe we can get out and test.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1993 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
How old are the shocks and are they working correctly is honestly one of the first questions that need addressed.. Also mentioned above, does the rear end move up and down freely without bind or bad heim joint? I had a set of shocks that had a burr on one of them, causing them to now move freely together on the rear of my dragster. Sent them back to Strange over winter and got them back and the back of my dragster has way more movement and doesn't hop off the starting line any more. It actually lets the entire setup work together now.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Also having the same issue. At galot there was no issue, but came home and have that same hop. I went down in air psi and it got smaller. Adjustable struts up front all the way loose. Extension set on 6 (1/2) and comp set on 2 of 12, strange doubles. Its still pretty consistent, but would love to get it to go away.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Went out this weekend had the tires at 9psi which seemed help. The range of the rear shocks are 18 clicks. I set the comp at 9 from soft and rebound at 4 from soft. Car still spun .25 off the line at its normal spot but had another spin after it. You can see on the video the front end bobbling up and down. Im looking into front struts for this thing. Seems like its not weight transferring like it should.

https://drive.google.com/file/...2hB/view?usp=sharing

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Set the rebound 2 from loose and the compression 2 from tight.

It'll have one hump/spike in the driveshaft at the hit instead of two or three down track. Then you fine tune those settings to zerox driveshaft graphs in comparison to each other over several laps. If it'll zerox driveshaft graphs, the capacity to zerox timeslips exists. It's either that or put some anti-squat in the bars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Air psi helped so your going in the right direction. Still to much wrinkle in the tires for me

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
Air psi helped so your going in the right direction. Still to much wrinkle in the tires for me

Better on the time slip (more consistent 60 ft) worse driveshaft graph with two humps and visually worse bouncing. The reason the 60 ft is more consistent (better) is because the car spends more time trying to get up on the tire before the 60 ft. You can see in the groove, the tire track get narrow 2-3 ft past the starting line and then again 6-7 feet out from there. That's the two humps in the driveshaft graph. I'd raise the ride height in the back a hair to raise the IC for anti squat and run the shocks like I suggested. Raising the ride height will give a good indicator on if the car needs anti-squat without taking anything apart to raise the IC.

I'm not sold on the tire pressure adjustment being the reason for more consistent 60ft's. Added tire pressure is traction (bite). The tire looks more wound now (more bite), that adds up with more pressure. Although the OP needs less bite (traction) at the hit, not more. The OP needs a lil wheel speed off the trans brake to speed up the front end, and get the car up on the tire. He went the right way on the shock adjustments, this is why it was better (more consistent 60ft times) I believe. Adding pressure definitely went against the grain of fundamentals pertinent to the original video/driveshaft graph.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I went through last night and measured the 4-link. Bottom bar is 2.8 deg down.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Raise the top bar on the housing end a hole or two. needs more leverage

Posts: 127 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bob, Front end has no lift as you already know.After messing with a nose heavy doorslamer I feel your pain although I got lucky in the front strut area and worked through it. Unill you get transfer out of the front do not be afraid to add weight to the rear. Even a 50 pound bag of any thing for a run. 30 lbs in the back of my 3200 lb car made it right. 60 lbs would carry the wheels forever. Loose 6400 converter 4.30 gear 29.5 tire leaving at 3200 perfect. 3600 almost too much.

Posts: 321 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Still working on this. I believe some/most of the problem is in the front struts like a few others suggested. I figured out how to adjust these last weekend. These struts are old and you need to remove the spring and collapse the strut to adjust it. I believe these were topping out at launch. i lowered the front end some to allow for some more travel before they top out. I was not able to get out again because of rain. Hopefully this weekend.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Update on this:

Spent some time going thru the car and found out the corner weights were all funky. I fixed all that and went to the final the next weekend. The hook spin was still there but consistent. In the final the car bogged real bad on the shift. After some investigating and talking to a bunch of people figured out it was the sprag in the converter. Purchased a new converter and now the hump is gone. Dont know really how the converter could affect that but it is totally gone now.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com