DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SWAG on timing change effect
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWAG on timing change effect
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Agree with Curly1.

I helped a guy get a 5.20's front engine dragster lined out. Took us 10-12 passes over a couple weekends. Basically started with a car that shot left or right off the launch (wheelie bar adjustments) and then within 10 passes and other adjustments (weight, air pressure, etc) we had it ready to enter a race. Of course racing is the best test and tune, but it was finally drivable.

It also makes a difference that we were first in the lanes when they opened and one of the last cars to make a pass when test and tune was over. The more data, the better analyzation we could do.

After a pass it was: Get the car back, make a change, try it, analyze results, make a change, and repeat.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I do not mean to sound rude but nobody here can tell you ANYTHING about your car. Your car is a Front Engine Dragster and they are completely different than other cars. In fact few Front Engine Dragsters are the same from what I can tell. Mine I had to take it our several times and make changes. Most all were an improvement but it took 5 different tire combinations and stiffening the chassis even more to get it where I want it. I also like you raised the chassis up some to help weight transfer and ground clearance.
I have moved a bunch of weight around in addition to stiffening chassis and now my car works. Track time.
When or if I throw more power at it that all goes out the window and I have to start over.

What did I do? I took it to the Track, took video and tried to determine what was going on and how to fix it. Appeared the chassis was flexing too much.

Most of these guys here are running a four link Rear Engine Dragster. They have stiffer chassis and rear suspension to make it work. Ours are hard tails and MUCH more flexible chassis. The key is getting right amount of flex, right tire, right power, right converter and we have much less flexibility than a Four link Rear engine car. So what they are doing has nothing to with what we do. What worked on mine may not work on yours.

If you think more timing would help the ONLY way you or anyone else will know is if you go out and try it.

I also think you learn more RACING than testing. Of course testing helps and has its place but nothing like actual racing to find weak links in your combination.

Not to be rude.I never asked about my car.I never asked how to tune my car. I know more than anyone that few on this site have insight into FED tuning.

I asked about and idea how much effect timing had on hp of the engine and even then I stated it would not be directly comparable to my engine since it is Hemi and most here are bbc with some sbc engines.

I rarely ask about tuning my car. I mostly aske for knowledge and cheap education of what other may have learned. Sometimes its just for knowledge that may or mey not come in handy.

I just mentioned shake deal because thats what got me thinking about too soft tune on car.

As for racing vs testing. Racing is better once you have car that will go down track under power. Going to a race getting one test and if can't get down track one race rd test does very little. Again not point of post.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Okay so you do not want to hear anything except about if we think more timing will help tire shake.

No. Timing is not the tire shake problem nor is it the solution. That is my opinion and you probably do not want to hear that either.

Most people run too much timing as it is. Basically as I said in my post I think you are barking up the wrong tree with timing. But it does not hurt anything or cost much to try it. Then we will be back at same point looking for other solutions. At this point get out there and try something. Anything. Go out there make changes and the car will tell you if it is Right or Wrong and go from there.

I want you to get out there run your car and get it sorted out and start winning rounds there is nothing like driving a front engine car.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Nope. All I wanted to hear is how much power you think or have found change from timing change. Which is what question was.

I don't mind opinion on most anything. I don't like being told no-one can help me tune my car when its a FED and they all have RED''s. When I never asked for anything related to tuning my car. Being told I need to run car to fix issue when I never asked how to fix a issue. Insinauation I am asking how to fix car w/o running it and I never have .

I know if I feel need for more power to rid shake and there is room in tuning window for more timing that would be easy and damn cheap approach. Then look at other things such as tires wheelie bar settings. Maybe fuel or new different tire. While you guys have tons of knowledge on bracket cars and its appreciated. Willing to bet I have most beat on working around thru and if possible over tire shake and real shake not tire quivering stuff. Real shake is when you get out of car sick or needing 3 or 4 Excedrin.

Again the track has been in 30* range for past month and trying to run on a track that cold proves you shouldn't be running on track that cold. Today was nice, but track does not run on thursday most weeks. Until tracks are option I do not see where bench race bs session about info involving anything engine related can be bad.

Kind of like running in Texas last week. Would have proved you shouldn't race in the snow.

I reread whole thread as for my replys. I have yet to see where I ask how to correct shake, how to tune my car vs RED's . If someone see's where I did. Please point it out. I admit I aks things and state things leaving some points out. I do not ask one thing looking for something else just like I don't answer one way meaning something else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
As for FEd being fun to drive and nothing like it.Almost agree.

I had driven one before I started this deal.Half reason I built a FED.

alky dragster was more fun.Then it was 3400 hp in 1900lb car. 200 in 1/8 beats hell out of 140 or 150. But 40 or 50 bucks a pass beats he11 out of 1500 to 2000 per pass when you do math at end of year.LOL