DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Drag Racing Strategy: Bracket, Index & Heads-Up
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drag Racing Strategy: Bracket, Index & Heads-Up
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Whether you hold a little or hold a lot I think it is a trap to do same thing every time. Two reasons , 1. The others will soon learn how you race. 2. Changing things up a little keeps you on your toes on on top of your game.

I'm not against having other methods. But only the two have worked for me. Most know I hold. Most of the winners around here hold. If you get a competitive light, and are on your toes at the finish line, it's hard to get inside regardless if they know what you are doing. Yes some sharp ones are going to push you to the finish line and cut you loose. And you watch for it. You know you have some to get rid of. Go with em. If they don't cut you loose, feed the stripe to him. The race is yours to win or lose.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
When I first began bracket racing 18 years ago, a very knowledgeable guy taught me to always hold 2 numbers...he is a nationally known hitter, by the way...10 years later I learned from one of the best in the business how to bracket race and why holding increased your chances of winning any round...once you learn from guys like these you realize holding is the only way to go...

That said, they also told me if you race someone who kills the tree and runs the number there is nothing much you can do with them other than say good race...with most folks, however, you will have a distinct advantage holding numbers...when an expert explains why it makes so much sense...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My strategy is to show up as often as possible. It seems to help me. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Always change it up and keep them guessing.

Now heads up is simple.Make the fastest pass you can down your lane and hope you have clear view when you get to finish line.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I set up 20 and dial down .02 and make time runs.

ep

Posts: 765 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
How many of you have and use an "oh s#%!" button?

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Heads up, hammer the tree and hope you have enough. That's real drag racing in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Now heads up is simple.Make the fastest pass you can down your lane and hope you have clear view when you get to finish line.

We have a different approach to the heads-up racing. Our drag racing quads are very unique & we use them for bracket, index & heads-up/grudge racing. Sometimes during a weekend event we run all 3 styles of racing. So, you have to be selective on what ET you show or not show.

I'll use one example: We had run brackets & Index all weekend. We had ran a 6.30 Index & chose to dial in the mid 6.30x range. Then we went to heads-up grudge racing afterwards. After beating two quads, we couldn't get any more races. One guy said, "we thought you only had a 6.30 quad".

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2563 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick!:
How many of you have and use an "oh s#%!" button?

I don't have it, but have considered getting/using it.

I've had it used against me at one of the races at the 1st Spring Fling Million. If I remember right my opponent was dialed 6.40 & I was dialed a mid to high 6.40. I was holding around 7 numbers. I was getting rid of ET with slightly less than full throttle around 300' mark. My opponent had caught me around that area & was wheel racing me. It was during this period when he used his nitrous. I took his bait hook, line & sinker!; it was so embarrassing. I immediately went to full throttle & he saw/heard my move. We were both close on reaction, both close to our dial, but he controlled the finish line by a very small margin & of course won.

I ended up getting him back in another race during the same event. It was my turn to pull from my bag of tricks. I had seen how he raced my wheel & not my stripe taker. So, I decided to use the stripe taker to trip the finish line. Yes, I had it set-up to give me the option to use the stripe taker or front tire to break the finish line. Anyway, I dialed a high 6.30 & he kept his dial. I caught him around mid track, but couldn't get a wheel on him. I said to myself, this is going to work. Right before the stripe, I nailed the brakes. The nose dropped with the stripe taker taking the finish line for the win.

I talked with the racer at the next Million & he calls using his nitrous as; keeping his opponent honest.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2563 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's amazing to me how so many people can drive the finish line to .00X at 110 mph, but can't find the starting line with their opponent already pre-staged.

Posts: 523 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
LMAO at Phil! There’s a guy I raced last year who I swear was waiting for the cows to come home before he would even pre-stage. Next time I race him he is in for a surprise! Big Grin

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been told by several D1 racers who have raced at the Strip/Vegas, don't stage first!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do they not have a time out function on the tree?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that do but as Vern stated here, no one there is in any hurry to to prestage, stage, race!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bucky,

This guy is well known for this crap. I guarantee he will pre-stage first against me next time.

That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In my past I was the worlds sloppiest at staging & almost 1st to stage every time. I've had a few literally race me to the beams, LOL! It never fared to well for them. I had one competitor tell me his wife was furious about my staging. He finally told her, Bryan does the same thing every run & no games are being played. I now choose how, when & why in my staging; within the rules.

IMO, I take into account how my opponent stages, but generally don't try to beat them at their routine. We have one of those guys in our class, that just plain takes his time. I slow my routine down for it, but that's about it.

Now, if the opponent is truly taking that long. Then the issue falls within the Starter, doing or not doing his job.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Honestly I find it allot easier race 1/4 mile, you have way more time to think about it but then having the extra time to think can bite you in the ass sometimes

I hear that all the time. If your opponent has the same extra time to think, how then is winning any easier?

Also, since you're typically nearing the finish line by the time the race is playing itself out, speeds and closing rates are higher in the 1/4.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Honestly I find it allot easier race 1/4 mile, you have way more time to think about it but then having the extra time to think can bite you in the ass sometimes

I hear that all the time. If your opponent has the same extra time to think, how then is winning any easier?

Also, since you're typically nearing the finish line by the time the race is playing itself out, speeds and closing rates are higher in the 1/4.

With a high closing speed, it IS harder to judge the other car at the stripe. But in my experience, it is much harder when you are being chased. You have to take your eyes off the line, look over your shoulder, determine how they are coming, look back at the stripe and of course make sure your car is on course, then rinse and repeat as many times as it takes. When you are chasing, your head barely moves. You can see their wheel and the stripe all in the same frame. Now if it is getting sketchy for your car at the finish line, all bets are off. Ya gotta make sure you are in control of your car. I have had rounds like that and all you can do it spot drop and hope for the best or bail completely and gather things up. I'm hoping the wing cleans that up for me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:

Never said winning was easier, just easier to make a decision right or wrong because you have more time. Perfect example, when racing 1/8th mile I am dialed in the 3.8-90 range, that race is over in a heartbeat, not allot of time to think. Racing 1/4 mile I am dialed in the 6.10-15 range, that's another 2.1 or so secs,all in the back half which seems like an eternity. I value the aluminum rods in my blower motor way to much to rip the throttle so I will normally spot drop or drag the brake or both if needed. They say each rip of the throttle counts as a run on your rods lol

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
With a high closing speed, it IS harder to judge the other car at the stripe. But in my experience, it is much harder when you are being chased. You have to take your eyes off the line, look over your shoulder, determine how they are coming, look back at the stripe and of course make sure your car is on course, then rinse and repeat as many times as it takes.

I agree with your first 2 sentences, but you can make it easier. There are a good many slow racers that don't look back when being chased, they carry ET & use other strategies/tactics. No rinse & repeat. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
With a high closing speed, it IS harder to judge the other car at the stripe. But in my experience, it is much harder when you are being chased. You have to take your eyes off the line, look over your shoulder, determine how they are coming, look back at the stripe and of course make sure your car is on course, then rinse and repeat as many times as it takes.

I agree with your first 2 sentences, but you can make it easier. There are a good many slow racers that don't look back when being chased, they carry ET & use other strategies/tactics. No rinse & repeat. Wink

Man I don't know....any good slow racer I know might be carrying and using other methods but they're still all looking back to some extent....

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post