DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted
Anyone have any experience with the bluetooth OBD2 scanners that communicate with your smart phone?

Was looking at a BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro on Amazon...but would like to hear some real world info from someone who has actually used one, or similar.

Just personal use...nothing major.

Thanks for any assistance!

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have the BlueDriver, so far it’s worked great. I just use it to check any codes but mostly to clear the stupid gas cap code on my Ford Ranger.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5325 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not that there's anything wrong with "old" technology, but the BlueDriver is somewhat old by lightspeed technological changes standards. You can go to YouTube and search Scotty Kilmer for other scan tool reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keFaPcp_E6o

You may also be interested in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFF9eQwb9Jk

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2349 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It was strange that I came in the house and saw this post because my Ranger had given me a check engine light this morning.

Amazingly it wasn’t the gas cap but was an 02 sensor. Guess I’ll take a look at it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5325 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two of these Veepeak WiFi OBD2 scanners for a few years. No complaints, they work very well especially at the $17 price. It can read emissions test readiness which some can’t. You can view in real time and log a whole slew of sensors. I use the Fourstroke app with it on my iPhone.

Posts: 731 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys! I'll check out those YT links and see what's what. I'm just wanting something to check codes when they pop up and such on my own stuff.

I appreciate the feedback!

Maxx Levell

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I'm using ELM327 off Amazon or Ebay (don't recall). You will need to buy a diagnostic app along with it. It works great.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1394 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack, but does anyone make one that works with HD diesel so I can monitor the motorhome while going down the road?

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 638 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Hijack away lol...I'm sure others have the same questions!

Maxx Levell

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...does anyone make one that works with HD diesel so I can monitor the motorhome while going down the road?

This may work for you. It works well in my Grand Marquis.

" Does it work with Diesels?

Yes, as long as your vehicle's emission decal is marked as "OBDII Certified" or "OBDII Compliant". It is imperative that the fuel calibration procedure be performed for all diesel vehicles."

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultraga...ultragauge_wired.htm

Posts: 2349 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, as long as your vehicle's emission decal is marked as "OBDII Certified" or "OBDII Compliant". It is imperative that the fuel calibration procedure be performed for all diesel vehicles."

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultraga...ultragauge_wired.htm

Mine is a 2004 - it's not OBD2 and has no emissions to speak of but I'd like to monitor trans temps, boost etc...

Posts: 638 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I’ve had two of these Veepeak WiFi OBD2 scanners for a few years. No complaints, they work very well especially at the $17 price. It can read emissions test readiness which some can’t. You can view in real time and log a whole slew of sensors. I use the Fourstroke app with it on my iPhone.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered it Friday and used it Saturday to clear a code on my Fit.

For those looking for a monitor for a pusher.... I used this with mine when I had it. Worked well.

[URL=ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor (Frustration Free) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V...i_dDnFFb07FM74D]Scan Guage D[/URL]

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine is a 2004 - it's not OBD2 and has no emissions to speak of but I'd like to monitor trans temps, boost etc...

That's going to be a tough nut to crack. It would appear you don't have any central information output port to get information from. I'd say you're down to the old fashion method of installing a sensor, wiring and a gauge on a per parameter basis. Maybe someone will have insight that's not obvious on your vehicle. Good luck!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What moho engine/trans are you wanting to monitor? The scangauge is a great product but sometimes you have to identify the PIDs to get it set up.

Posts: 192 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
What moho engine/trans are you wanting to monitor? The scangauge is a great product but sometimes you have to identify the PIDs to get it set up.

Its a Freightliner chassis with a 300hp Cummins. It has a diagnostic system and a round diagnostic connector to hook up a code reader, its just not OBD2 like a passenger car. It's considered heavy duty OBD (J1939). It has a check engine light and I bought a scanner to read trouble codes, but I'd love something that I can leave hooked up that shows more than the limited guages on the dash - mostly trans temp & engine boost.Thanks Head Gamez, the one you linked looks like what Im after....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BD104X,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A scangaugeD comes with the 9 pin J1939 protocol connector.

Posts: 192 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post