DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pro or street gear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro or street gear
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted
Ok I’ve broke 2 gears this year. First weekend out I broke a 5.83 pro gear that I’d run all year last year. Changed to a 5.67 pro gear and broke it this week. Car is 3300lbs 421 700 hp PG, 1.80 low 33/16/15 tires 9” rearend. I always ran a street gear in my dragster because the pro gear wouldn’t hold up so thinking about going to a street gear in the Nova. Anyone had issues with pro gear and changed to street gear with any luck

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pro gear.... Kidding Smile

This is a 66 Chevy II 3000lbs 23 427 sbc powerglide 4.51 Motive *performance* street gear, 275 dot radial tire 400hp plate system.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
With the 28X10.5 tires and 5.13 gear never had an issue with the street gear. Guy that does my trans and rears said I needed the pro gear because the pinion gears were so small going to the 5.67 or 5.83 but there not lasting. No more power than I have it shouldn’t be breaking them so I’ll try the street gear. Not really wanting to put a 10” in it yet.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
With the 28X10.5 tires and 5.13 gear never had an issue with the street gear. Guy that does my trans and rears said I needed the pro gear because the pinion gears were so small going to the 5.67 or 5.83 but there not lasting. No more power than I have it shouldn’t be breaking them so I’ll try the street gear. Not really wanting to put a 10” in it yet.

The pinion hasn't been the problem, the ring gear has correct? 5.14 36 ring gear tooth quantity 5.67 34 tooth Q Motive Performance gear.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think you'll be alright Motive performance street gear C Hodge.

Give it try. Nothing too loose pro not working out.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
First was the pinion teeth all broke. I haven’t pulled it apart to see if it the pinion or ring gear this time

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
First was the pinion teeth all broke. I haven’t pulled it apart to see if it the pinion or ring gear this time
If you have beadlocks you could put a shorter narrow tread slick on it. That looks cool and it works good M/T stiff sidewall.

Take a different approach on the gear, maybe a 5.29 gear if you can get a short enough slick on it. Maybe a radial PBR?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always ran a street gear in my dragster because the pro gear wouldn’t hold up so thinking about going to a street gear in the Nova. Anyone had issues with pro gear and changed to street gear with any luck

you've got the wrong guy setting up your 3rd member. I've always run Pro gears in my Mark Williams 3rd members in both my dragster and my door car without issue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure what brand you are running. But heard a rumor the Richmond pro gear was having some problems. Not sure if it's true or not but heard of a lot of people breaking them lately.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
Not sure what brand you are running. But heard a rumor the Richmond pro gear was having some problems. Not sure if it's true or not but heard of a lot of people breaking them lately.

Last Motive we ordered came in a Richmond box. It had a Motive part #.

It might not be a bad idea for C. Hodge to post an image of the broken ring on a portion of the ring we can have a look at the pattern. Not saying it wasn't setup correctly but it couldn't hurt to have a look.

This a a 5.00 gear I set up to run in conjunction with a 1.69 low Powerglide transmission, for 370 pro tree index racing.

Pattern look at all like this C Hodge?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Both I have broke were Richmond gears.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I would not. My experience is that when pro gears give up the ship, they usually make noise and vibrate before they go away all together but street gears just shatter. Pro gears are softer to absorb impact while street gears are harder so they wear better. Years ago building a dragster with street gears was popular since they were light, but I had a set of street gears blow up in spectacular fashion and take out the driveshaft, center, & a 4-link bar while denting the framerail. I believe your problem is due to the size of the pinion like you mentioned, but my $.02 I'd be afraid to go to street gears.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 651 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Aren't there certain gear ratios that are weaker than others?

I don't know, just putting it out there.

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
Aren't there certain gear ratios that are weaker than others?

I don't know, just putting it out there.

Yes! I've had several PM conversations with the OP, I originally suggested the 5.67,he just did a huge tire backhalf.

Time for a shorter tire or try a street gear, or lets look at the pattern. I'd do a shorter tire and 5.29 street gear if it were mine.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What carrier case are you using? And spool? Id bet the case flexes and breaks the gear

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1087 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
What carrier case are you using? And spool? Id bet the case flexes and breaks the gear

Could be! Need a image!!

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Bought a moser 9 inch 4.86 gear set up about 15 years ago. and it knock a tooth off last year... Street gear to boot. Should not be breaking that much

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.50 126

Posts: 1419 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The pinion head gets drastically smaller from 4.86 to 5.67.

Maybe it has a hard hit active stator converter. I have a PTC pro tree active stator sprag converter, that'll knock the taste out of your mouth at TB release.

I think the converter builder has more leeway active stator, as far as stator selection (mods), in comparison to spragless for range of torque multiplication below stall.

For this reason if it's a spragless converter, you can rule this out OP.

Huge tires, small pinion head, I could see the hard hit PTC Opel core 8" converter I have, doing ring and pinion carnage repetitively.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
numerically the higher the number the weaker the pinon. It gets smaller. May need to go to the 9 1/2 gear set

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
so you are breaking gears that are made for high horsepower hard hitting drag cars and doing so with very mild combo, Sounds like something else is issue.

while a 9.5 gear set would be strong.It cost and may not fit with your case w/o grinding. Plus seems like extreme for your combo. Just thoughts.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post