New
Find
Notify
Tools

PayPal
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
If you're trying to make a purchase for used parts off DRR for example, or anywhere.

What's wrong with PayPal?

I bought a set of used Crane Gold BBC rockers from a guy in Michigan, nice guy, and it was simple, easy.

But since, people don't seem to wanna use it. What method is used other than PayPal?

Why do people not wanna do a PayPal transaction for used parts?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I used PayPal many times with no problems
UNTIL I somehow must have cliqued on a phony e-mail that allowed a Hacker from someplace in Asia or the Mid East or Europe to get nearly $5000 transferred from my bank account that I used for PayPal

My bank quickly got the money back and blocked any and all transactions thru PayPal

PayPal was nearly impossible to get thru to until they realized they refunded the money after my bank had already got it back....

Then they had no problem contacting me by e-mail and phone wanting THEIR money back

I refused to allow them to direct transfer anything and paid them back using a CC

That account sat unusable and I've never used them again

I was at fault for getting fooled by a phishing e-mail but PayPal's response and lack of help convinced me not to ever use them again and I haven't

Since then I have had buyers of parts I might sell send a check or money order and I assure them I'm legit by sending them pictures of the boxes with UPS labels and their info on it.

Postal money order or Walmart also has a way to send money and I've never had a bad transaction

I used Racing Junk many many times...buying and selling and also Ebay.....buying mostly.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
If I sell you a set of heads for $2000 via Paypal, at the end of the year Paypal is going to send me a 1099-k and report it to the IRS as income. Now I would have 2 options, pay the $500-600 in income tax(depending on tax bracket) or prove to the IRS that it wasn't income. This is part of the dems plan to get billionaires to pay their fair share.

So there is no way in he!! i would sell you a set of heads using a cash app.

FYI this all started 1 jan 22

https://bookkeeperbuddies.com/...pps-expect-a-1099-k/

Joe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sr4440,

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Let's go Brandon.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
If I sell you a set of heads for $2000 via Paypal, at the end of the year Paypal is going to send me a 1099-k and report it to the IRS as income. Now I would have 2 options, pay the $500-600 in income tax(depending on tax bracket) or prove to the IRS that it wasn't income. This is part of the dems plan to get billionaires to pay their fair share.

So there is no way in he!! i would sell you a set of heads using a cash app.

FYI this all started 1 jan 22

https://bookkeeperbuddies.com/...pps-expect-a-1099-k/

Joe

Ok Joe, this is it. Thank you.

So this is why when I say I can do a PayPal transaction for this item, people don't wanna do it. I get it.

I have a few items lifters, pistons and connecting rods I've been trying to purchase.

What would be another way of purchasing these items to bypass the digital trail?

There's a set of Crower BBC lifters on DRR in Tennesse I'd like to buy, and BBC pistons in Colorado.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Scam buyers and Jackwagons use Paypal to hide behind. Some will not deal with you unless it is through paypal. I just walk away.
Multiple instances of people saying the product is not as described and get paypal to give them their money back.
Some people get things back that weigh the same as what they sent and in the box is dead weight, scrap steel, rocks, brake drums or rotors. Pay pal just about always sides with the buyer and the seller gets screwed.
Ive been buying and selling on RJ for probably 15 years or more, money orders or even personal checks. I ship when the funds clear, or if I have talked to the buyer and feel good, and the amount is not thousands, Ill go ahead and ship.
Only got beat once, I lost the $150.00 check for a mini starter, and asked him to send me another and I would pay the fees, he said tough luck.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
Scam buyers and Jackwagons use Paypal to hide behind. Some will not deal with you unless it is through paypal. I just walk away.
Multiple instances of people saying the product is not as described and get paypal to give them their money back.
Some people get things back that weigh the same as what they sent and in the box is dead weight, scrap steel, rocks, brake drums or rotors. Pay pal just about always sides with the buyer and the seller gets screwed.
Ive been buying and selling on RJ for probably 15 years or more, money orders or even personal checks. I ship when the funds clear, or if I have talked to the buyer and feel good, and the amount is not thousands, Ill go ahead and ship.
Only got beat once, I lost the $150.00 check for a mini starter, and asked him to send me another and I would pay the fees, he said tough luck.

Wow! What a scumbag.

Yeah, these are all the types of things I was kinda thinking, might be going on with PayPal.

I won't be offering PayPal anymore.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
WSith paypal the seller is always wrong. I sold a guy two Hemi cranks.Cost new was 3000 per. I stated in ad the condition appeared ok but had not been checked other wise.Sold one guy both for 500 plus shipping Weeka later he emailed one was cracked.I called him and told him had not seen any crack.He then said it was found at machine shop.I told him sorry,but items was a stated and not refunding.Which time he went bba and said he would come whip my a$$. I said ok adress is in top left corner.

Paypal contacted me said I had to refund it or they would draft my account.I let them know good luck I closed it before they called me.

I had alrady had similar on conflict about shipping and knew what would be coming next.

I now use USPS money order.If any fraud it is mail fraus and federal crime at that point.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
F#CK PAYPAL

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You sell someone a part and they use PayPal. Once they receive the part they tell PayPal it wasn’t as described. PayPal takes the money from you and gives it back to them. They now have part and money

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would be another way of purchasing these items to bypass the digital trail?

This PayPal and peer-to-peer business is child's play. Once the digital dollar (Fed Coin?) is enacted there will be 100% government control of YOUR money. Rest assured it's coming.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Just closed my PP account......for good.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure if you use PP. Do not attach it to a bank account. Years ago I had a fraudulent withdrawal from Australia that I happened to notice on a Sunday for $1200. I called PP but their fraud dept was closed until Monday so I transferred all the money out of that account, called PP on Monday to report the fraud. They acknowledged it was fraud but still called and emailed threatening to report my non-payment if I didn't put money back into that account to cover the charge.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Sold a HD used gear set that was 100% heard nothing till accounting told me about the problem of the chargeback . It was missing a $6 inner race , he never contacted us but lied to paysht
And got his $400 back !

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yep Paypal sucks

all of the 3rd party payment processors are now required to count anything over $600 as income, and you'll get a 1099-k reflecting it. So, you'll have to pay taxes on it. It has been long overdue, but don't misunderstand me-I hate it. And because of that, I won't use it. I was on the fence anyway, and now I'm done with them-and eBay.

So riddle me this. You sell a, say, crankshaft, for $2000. You paid sales tax on it. Then you have to pay tax on it now too when you sell it? Ridiculous if you ask me.

But hey, I told you people it would happen...among many other things that have been coming to fruition in the last year.

I got scammed on PayPal, nothing I could do about it either. About $600. Race car parts, never showed up, no communication from the seller, paypal had a tracking number so no matter the tracking information as long as they have it there is no recourse. Well, I had to really fight on this deal. The stuff should have been about 85 lbs total weight (packaging and all). The tracking number shows a package that weighed 4 lbs, and was scanned as such through one of the shipping hubs. Red flag. I called paypal and asked them about it and they said their hands are tied. So ok I got the USPS involved and they said they couldn't do anything. Then, a couple days later I was talking to our Alderman, who just happens to be the USPS Postmaster here about this situation and told her that the "red flag" was up, yet noone chose to address it. He said he knew how to handle it. 3 MONTHS later, I see now that PayPal has refunded my money. So, that's fine, and is all I wanted. Right? WRONG. You fiddled with the wrong dude. I got the tracking information (which changed mid-route, by the way) and it was delivered to a place not too far from here, and I know the address quite well since I used to rent that house. So I just ran over there and asked the people about a package that should have showed up. Of course they knew nothing about it. Called the law, got them involved, they looked into it, and found out that some items of questionable nature were being shipped to/from the residence, which then got a higher enforcement involved. Last I heard they raided the place. I'm sure I'll never see my stuff but at least something got done about it.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M802138:
Yep Paypal sucks

all of the 3rd party payment processors are now required to count anything over $600 as income, and you'll get a 1099-k reflecting it. So, you'll have to pay taxes on it. It has been long overdue, but don't misunderstand me-I hate it. And because of that, I won't use it. I was on the fence anyway, and now I'm done with them-and eBay.

So riddle me this. You sell a, say, crankshaft, for $2000. You paid sales tax on it. Then you have to pay tax on it now too when you sell it? Ridiculous if you ask me.

But hey, I told you people it would happen...among many other things that have been coming to fruition in the last year.

I got scammed on PayPal, nothing I could do about it either. About $600. Race car parts, never showed up, no communication from the seller, paypal had a tracking number so no matter the tracking information as long as they have it there is no recourse. Well, I had to really fight on this deal. The stuff should have been about 85 lbs total weight (packaging and all). The tracking number shows a package that weighed 4 lbs, and was scanned as such through one of the shipping hubs. Red flag. I called paypal and asked them about it and they said their hands are tied. So ok I got the USPS involved and they said they couldn't do anything. Then, a couple days later I was talking to our Alderman, who just happens to be the USPS Postmaster here about this situation and told her that the "red flag" was up, yet noone chose to address it. He said he knew how to handle it. 3 MONTHS later, I see now that PayPal has refunded my money. So, that's fine, and is all I wanted. Right? WRONG. You fiddled with the wrong dude. I got the tracking information (which changed mid-route, by the way) and it was delivered to a place not too far from here, and I know the address quite well since I used to rent that house. So I just ran over there and asked the people about a package that should have showed up. Of course they knew nothing about it. Called the law, got them involved, they looked into it, and found out that some items of questionable nature were being shipped to/from the residence, which then got a higher enforcement involved. Last I heard they raided the place. I'm sure I'll never see my stuff but at least something got done about it.

What's long overdue, you losing equity on things you buy?

What was worth 50% of when it was purchased, is now worth 35%.

Bullshyt to keep a work'n man down.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use Zelle.
Not a problem, yet!
I have bought stuff from people that never heard of it. They signed up and like it.
Just to easy. If I have a problem I can go to my bank and not have to talk to someone someone on the phone that doesn't know how to speak English.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Be careful with paypal.
I did quite a few transactions and had no problem.
Then I bought 2 things within a few days of each other, they never came. I notified paypal.
They jerked me around for awhile then notified me that the sellers had receipts that each item was delivered in my zip code and closed the case.
NOT MY ADDRESS, my zip code!
I tried to get them to verify the weight and shipping cost on the receipts and they refused!
My money was GONE!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I use Zelle.
Not a problem, yet!
I have bought stuff from people that never heard of it. They signed up and like it.
Just to easy. If I have a problem I can go to my bank and not have to talk to someone someone on the phone that doesn't know how to speak English.

I sold a crankshaft earlier this year using Zelle and it was very easy and set up through my bank

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure all the money transfer companies/services have to do a 1099, so you'll be liable for income tax with any of them.

Thanks Brandon.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2