DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ohlin mono shock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohlin mono shock
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
05 UC with Ohlin mono shock, anyone running a similar setup, if so what setting do you have that work.

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Is it a TTX like on top, or a LMP like bottom photo?

All TTX dampers will say TTX, where you see it top photo with two clickers on canister side

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like the TTX, it has 25 clicks on each ext and comp.

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mopar Traitor:
Looks like the TTX, it has 25 clicks on each ext and comp.

TTX you wanna run the compression tight, relatively speaking, dragster. That's a twin tube so no matter how you adjust the rebound clicker won't affect compression damping as it would slightly, if it were a mono tube (LMP).

I'd start in the middle on rebound, and go from there. Two, three, four, five clicks from tight on compression, dragster.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mono shock dragster, I should say.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes mono shock dragster. 1.01 -60's 4.50's

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes mono shock dragster. 1.01 -60's 4.50's

Any video?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No video - here is the problem - car repeats great until track gets a little iffy, then it moves around on the top end at times to the point of lifting. Shock is currently set on 17 rebound and 13 comp, may need to reverse those but test and tune normally consist of a couple of time trials and go race so was thinking someone maybe with same setup to get me in the ball park. Never a problem on the starting line only on the big end.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
No video - here is the problem - car repeats great until track gets a little iffy, then it moves around on the top end at times to the point of lifting. Shock is currently set on 17 rebound and 13 comp, may need to reverse those but test and tune normally consist of a couple of time trials and go race so was thinking someone maybe with same setup to get me in the ball park. Never a problem on the starting line only on the big end.

Because of the design of the TTX - twin tube, the seperating piston is smaller in comparison to a monotube design - LMP. Plus the fact it's a mono shock - 1 shock, I'd suggest three, four, five, maybe six clicks form tight on compression, to keep it up on the tire at speed. If it feels too tight on the time run, take a couple clicks off it.

In the middle of the adjustment range on rebound, twelve or thirteen clicks from tight.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks - will give it a try

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks - will give it a try

You're welcome sir.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
you can play with settings wont hurt to learn,i think they are close.shock isnt goint to help on top end .likely to much air in tires.top bar down may help also.remember whatever you do for down track will affect starting line in some way.what tire do you have now don

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don, sending you a private message.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rusty - Tire is the Big Bubba. 6 lbs of air. They are about 1 1/2 years old with not that many runs as I missed all of last year.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rusty - Tire is the Big Bubba. 6 lbs of air. They are about 1 1/2 years old with not that many runs as I missed all of last year.

Pinion angle?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shock is currently set on 17 rebound and 13 comp.

17 and 13 clicks clockwise or counter clockwise?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1 1/2 degrees -- Clockwise

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clockwise

I'll cover this first.

So whenever you discuss clicker settings, the correct terminology to use, is to discuss it from tight (any brand).

From tight would be counting clicks counter clockwise in this case - Ohlins TTX 36.

So you're actually at 8 clicks from tight on rebound now, and 12 from tight on compression.

I'm suggesting 14-15 from tight on rebound and 6 from tight on compression.

It's not a huge change but a tighter compression will hold the extension of the damper, you see in the video I posted. That's what you want, the damper extending.

The phenomenon is the same for every drag car, the pinion crawling the ring gear, applying the tire to the track surface. You might even try working a little more pinion angle into the mix at some point.

This ohlins damper you have, you'll find you love it, once you identify what it wants for clicker settings, in correspondence to power in play, instant center, pinion angle and spring rate.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good info - thanks - will give it a try hopefully this weekend.