DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front Struts on a Dragster?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front Struts on a Dragster?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if there was a performance benefit it would be at least offered as an option by every dragster builder and it's not. The 2 or 3 builders that offer it as an option build few cars with it. The quickest, the fastest and the winningest dragsters in the country don't have a front suspension.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My hardtail had the frontend done mainly to keep it the beams. It worked great for that and it rides like a Cadillac.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
if there was a performance benefit it would be at least offered as an option by every dragster builder and it's not. The 2 or 3 builders that offer it as an option build few cars with it. The quickest, the fastest and the winningest dragsters in the country don't have a front suspension.

On the contrary, some of the fastest, non top- dragster, are Diamonds going 3.90s/4.0s and are at ALL the big money races and winning. Chris Stine, Dan and Cory Mong have WON BIG money with their pro charged Diamonds. With that being said, i am not sold on a dual suspended car BECAUSE, we went to dragsters to have less moving parts for the consistency aspect.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
again, the winningest dragsters in the country do not have a front suspension as my current dragster does not nor will my next dragster.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Jodie Jent
posted Hide Post
Of course there are benefits to either the struts or diamond style suspension.

We have had 3 altereds for example in the past with only 1 of them having struts. It was the best car out of the 3 hands down.

My current Diamond has been .957 60' with no bar, no weight in the nose, and no wheelies or any kind.

Posts: 495 | Location: Owingsville, Ky. | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For those who state adding a front suspension helps to keep the front tire in the beams without adding weight, well how much do you thing two shocks, springs etc weigh? For the pivoting type front ends, same deal, your adding weight up front. On track performance, meaning added consistency for these vs hard mounted front ends is zero IMO or they would be on each one built. I am sure they ride better though, especially in the pits.

BTW, stating that your dragster went .957 in 60' with no bar and no weight with a front suspended car, (which I believe) just means your entire combo is well balanced, and as I mentioned above you do have added weight up front. My hard mounted 4 link car has gone .965 in 60' with no weight and no bar. Not hard to do with the right combo.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My car lost weight because I was carrying weight up front so it wouldn’t red light. I know, I know, I just needed to tune the chassis better.

Wouldn’t take for my Diamond front suspension. Drives like a dream and rides like a dream and no more red lights because of a wheelie.

Pick your poison, let’s race!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I converted my 09 Nelson last year with a Diamond front end and I can honestly say it was worth the effort , it even worked out to be lighter than before !
- I bough a kit from Dan for $1k and did the work myself.
- I went one step further and added an air bag to be able to lift it up so I get it in and out of the trailer without having extra long ramps or lifting front of trailer .once airbag is deflated the Original design is permitted to work with no interference.
- Our tracks back home are like Beirut so the suspension really helped !
- total weight gain was 33 lbs and removed about 9lbs in bars and wiring .
- so how did I save the weight ? Well I always ran 2 battery’s and deleted one . By moving the battery closer to the engine I no longer needed that extra battery to crank it .

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
diamond for the win !

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed, you have a PM

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pic of diamond front with air bag

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Pic of diamond front with air bag

Yes I would like to see this set up too.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would guess the airbag is probably pushing on the axle but still want to see a pic

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I got a complete build photo and video on my fb page U can see them there or anyone that wants u can pm me ur email and I’ll send u pics that u can post on here also .

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Abitz,

Need a name for your Facebook page. I couldn’t find it.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Actually most all the Diamond Dragsters are built with the front suspension. Also the amount of Dragsters getting dropped of to be retrofitted is large also. It kinda all come down to preference. I have owned and driven solid car, rear suspension, and rear and front suspension. Won races with all and they each have their own personality so to speak.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Many of you may be using a Grid to pull some timing at the hit to keep it from popping out of the beams and going Red.

With front suspension you may not need to pull as much timing if at all meaning you have the potential to run faster. The harder you can hit it earlier in the run the faster you will be. IF YOU ARE USING A GRID TO KEEP IT FROM POPPING OUT OF THE BEAMS YOU COULD PROBABLY BENEFIT FROM FRONT SUSPENSION.

The main reason I went with front Strut Suspension on my new Altered is to keep it from popping out of beams, we are not allowed to use Grid. And of course smoother ride on some of the rougher tracks. Two of the tracks we run at have a rough shut down. Anything we can to to make it smoother makes it safer is worth considering for those tracks.

And Dragsters may get even better as front suspension would allow to use a stiffer chassis which could help even more. The chassis flex which all of us long cars have helps the car to hook and absorb some rough stuff but it is un-dampened and can cause bounce. If I was going to keep my 225" Front Engine Dragster I would look into front suspension. On a long car the Diamond or Yancer type is probably better and more stable than a Strut type. For shorter, wider car like altered I would go with Struts.

May cost a little more but that is not much of an issue. You would get much of it back if you ever sell it and may win more to. At least on my Altered I think it was worth every penny and was one of my hard requirements for the new car.

Hardtail cars won a lot of races and a lot of money. Then at some point the Four link cars started taking over and everyone though you had to have rear suspension if you were a serious racer.

Very soon we could be saying same thing about Front Suspension. Just Saying.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my car does NOT use "a Grid to pull some timing at the hit to keep it from popping out of the beams and going Red", my car WORKS!

IMO and many, many others, a front suspension on these cars is a marketing gimmick. Don't want it, don't need it.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Many of you may be using a Grid to pull some timing at the hit to keep it from popping out of the beams and going Red.

With front suspension you may not need to pull as much timing if at all meaning you have the potential to run faster. The harder you can hit it earlier in the run the faster you will be. IF YOU ARE USING A GRID TO KEEP IT FROM POPPING OUT OF THE BEAMS YOU COULD PROBABLY BENEFIT FROM FRONT SUSPENSION.

The main reason I went with front Strut Suspension on my new Altered is to keep it from popping out of beams, we are not allowed to use Grid. And of course smoother ride on some of the rougher tracks. Two of the tracks we run at have a rough shut down. Anything we can to to make it smoother makes it safer is worth considering for those tracks.

And Dragsters may get even better as front suspension would allow to use a stiffer chassis which could help even more. The chassis flex which all of us long cars have helps the car to hook and absorb some rough stuff but it is un-dampened and can cause bounce. If I was going to keep my 225" Front Engine Dragster I would look into front suspension. On a long car the Diamond or Yancer type is probably better and more stable than a Strut type. For shorter, wider car like altered I would go with Struts.

May cost a little more but that is not much of an issue. You would get much of it back if you ever sell it and may win more to. At least on my Altered I think it was worth every penny and was one of my hard requirements for the new car.

Hardtail cars won a lot of races and a lot of money. Then at some point the Four link cars started taking over and everyone though you had to have rear suspension if you were a serious racer.

Very soon we could be saying same thing about Front Suspension. Just Saying.

Taking timing out at the hit to prevent pulling the wheels out of the beams usually hurts and not helps! By removing some power it allows the tire to dead hook! which is the main cause of this issue. Reduce launch rpm works the best, but you still have to balance the car vs the hp!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Curly, you are absolutely correct on the short and wide with the strut. And very true as you said about unsuspended cars winning a lot of races through the mid 80s to latter 90s. A solid car with the right tire and convertor was killer back then. The 4 link or swing arm then made the cars more versatile and sure made the ride way softer. And one more thing you can scrub 20 mph off at the stripe and not worry about bouncing.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post