DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mallory Hyfire V11 C Ignition box
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mallory Hyfire V11 C Ignition box
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I just bought a dragster with this ignition system.
I would just like to know if it's worth keeping as we are going to campaign this car in T/D this year. Also, what do you use for data recorders?

Posts: 82 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No and Racepak

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Least expensive ignition and limited data acquisition … MSD Grid

MSD Grid with Racepak

Holley Dominator ECU

Fueltech FT600. Combination Display and ECU

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I run a Racepak also but Lord have mercy the sensors are out of sight price wise now. At least they were when I looked the other day.

You might look at RPM performance. My friend has one and he likes it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
If you mean the HyFire IVc, don't toss it, sell it to me. Big Grin If you have the matching Mallory Comp 9000 distributor, I'll buy that too.

They are bulletproof, reliable as hell, and were actually superior to the comparable MSD 6 AL. Same multiple-spark discharge, but with a built-in 2 step (Max & Stage RPM), no chips to mess with or other external modules needed, far better smooth soft-touch rev limiting than the choppy MSD system. But MSD bought Mallory and killed their product line. (One way to beat the competition). Roll Eyes
I haven't had a failure in over 20 years, and have a couple spares already, but adding another spare is never a bad idea. PM me if you want to sell it and upgrade to a Grid, etc.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Jim It maybe bullet proof but the problem is no one runs them except you so if it shyts the bed, the OP is done for the weekend at s divisional or national event whereas everyone runs MSD.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The hyfire VIIc is one of the worst automotive aftermarket products ever made. It randomly shuts off and will occasionally even fire a couple pulses at the wrong time. Mallory jerked me around for years claiming they were repairing both of my boxes. I talked to the head of tech on her last day there and she admitted that after the first few times they never did anything besides clean them up and send them back to me. They knew the boxes didn’t work right but they gave up on fixing them and weren’t allowed to tell anybody.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ive had a Hyfire V11c in my dragster for 15yrs without so much as a blown fuse. It could melt down tomorrow and owe me nothing. But I seriously doubt that would happen because it's........bulletproof

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Ive had a Hyfire V11c in my dragster for 15yrs without so much as a blown fuse. It could melt down tomorrow and owe me nothing. But I seriously doubt that would happen because it's........bulletproof

The 667c with the serial cable to the controller? If so, you must have one of the ones that they didn’t let the magic out. There’s 2 laying out in the woods somewhere I could dig up and send to you

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the same MSD Grid since late 2011 introduction in my car and removed several times troubleshooting other cars ignition problems. It’s been through all the firmware upgrades and still works as designed. When MSD introduced Grid, they claimed it would not be obsoleted. To date this has been true as MSD developed more ignition devices that work with Grid.

Many racers that have contacted me for Grid advice/ help often end up saying the same thing in the end…… Glad I switched to Grid, or, Wish I would have switched to Grid sooner.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

The 667c with the serial cable to the controller? If so, you must have one of the ones that they didn’t let the magic out. There’s 2 laying out in the woods somewhere I could dig up and send to you

i can attest to his car doing this several times with this ignition, before burying them deep in the woods.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I must just be lucky....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. I have an MSD digital 7 I can replace it with. I would be interested in selling it but am not sure how to IM on this forum.

Posts: 82 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bbtommyd:
Thank you for the replies. I have an MSD digital 7 I can replace it with. I would be interested in selling it but am not sure how to IM on this forum.

ID keep the Hyfire in it before i put a digital 7 in it. But i LOVED the Hyfire 7 boxes 25 years ago and NEVER had the issues that everybody had with 7al2/3 in late 90s. currently run a grid tho.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post