DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    If I want to begin a new project -----------------
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I want to begin a new project -----------------
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I would strongly consider a GMC Canyon.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You never stop, do you? Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Tom, the Lamplighter, is almost finished Smile

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
as long as it's not another "f’ing ugly" mustang Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, I think the Colorado/Canyon package is worth considering. Even other small or medium pickups are worth a look. I have not looked one over carefully in ref to modifications but plan to do so. Anything the size of an S-10 or slightly larger is valid.

Beginning with a newer body has many advantages. No rust, paint is good, generally more aero than the older bodies, easy to find a "core."

I have five grandchildren soon coming of driving age, and at least one of them may need something to race.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agreed, great platform to build from for all the reasons mentioned and it has great visibility too

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I vote a bad ass MOPAR!!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BG, since I am old, I grew up with the original round of muscle cars. I even worked on them when they were in warranty. I still like the old Mopars and smile when I see one. However, finding one in good condition is just about impossible.

One consideration is a Dakota pickup.

Larry Woodfin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to build a 68-72 El Camino, you just don't see many as race cars. I have a 565 in my shop that would fit perfect in one

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I vote a bad ass MOPAR!!

no such thing ever existed

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Larry
I hear you! They are tough to find. How about a wrecked newer challenger body.

PS
My first race car was a 64 Polara. Love those B Bodies.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
How about a mid engine van? Either mini or full sized. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The G body El Camino would be good, but again, rare to find a good core for a reasonable price.

Larry Woodfin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
How about a Gen 3 Hemi in a GM G body?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I vote a bad ass MOPAR!!

Ghetto sled.

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Gbody el camino is my current project. I have my dad's first car. It eventually became my grandfather's shop truck so she's rough. Needs floor pans and doors and a header panel (reproduction take an 82 and up style front end) and a lot of love. I'm looking to build a mid to high 11 second ride for foot brake and top when I don't bring my dragster out. I think the hardest part is going to be finding a pair of good manual window regulators for it. It had power and I just don't want power windows in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: top189h,

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
I vote a bad ass MOPAR!!

no such thing ever existed

Feel the loveBig Grin

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just flat out awesome. Absolutely love the SS Hemi Darts. Barracuda's, Belvedere etc......

BG

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Two Thumbs down old cars do nothing for me anymore and my Firebird runs as quick as most of the SS/AH cars.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like them all when they are well done! Old new Chevy Ford Mopar AMC Buick Pontiac. Loved cars/trucks since I can remember!

Larry whatever you choose it will be nice based on what I have seen from your work. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

BG