DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    changing front runners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

changing front runners
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
I have set of front runner I need to get on car,Not new or would have had good year do them. Still might,
Anyone changed a set of them out yourself? If so what did you use. I have a set of spoons but tire is PIA to get over edge and although minor I so have a scar mark in wheel.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would never put used front lightweight racing tires on my door car no matter how good they looked. I was always changing front tires at 5 years and now going to make it every 3 years after the last failure episode with a 4 yr old GY front.

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
who said anything about light wieght tire? I am changing good year front runners. Meaning take old one that are cracked and well used off and putting some on that are newer. Pretty sure not much else available for dragster wheels other than front runners or another brand of same design.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thought you were referring to door car fronts. Would anyone run used dragster fronts?

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
When you have set that have ton of thread so to speak on hand. Have few runs nad got them free from a buddy. Plus when You have a set on car very old with some cracks and very little thread hole depth.

I will and am going to run used ones

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
who said anything about light wieght tire?

M&M did & he's correct! Racing front runner tires are lightweight & that's one of the reasons we use them. Wink

My front runners get changed out every 3-4 years, unless an inspection deems an earlier replacement.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
WO,

You might want to look at these rim protectors. I know nothing about them or how they work.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4769

My new rims came with 360* protectors when they were shipped. Even so I'm having the front runners mounted by the tire shop. The rears are double beadlocks & plan on mounting them myself using spoons & the shipping protectors.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
looks like will see what good year can do monday.Only about 40 miles from house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
actually there are few other that fit wheels and arfe lighter than GY. When or should say if can afford the wire fronts for car I will buy AVONs to go with them. total would be around 14 to 16 pounds off car. If noy for cost of about 1500 I would already have a set. To go with alminum spindles I have on car already,Plus need to see if can remove weight w/o carring frontend out too much before spending more to take off weight. Probably even then will not do till new motor is done. 40 cubes and more compression may make so stupid to spend to remove weighht then have to add it back.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE My new rims came with 360* protectors when they were shipped. Even so I'm having the front runners mounted by the tire shop. The rears are double beadlocks & plan on mounting them myself using spoons & the shipping protectors.[/QUOTE]

I have 14”wide beadlocks (conversions) and can pull the rim out and push back into a 32x14 by hand without using lube or spoons in 30 seconds or less with gloves on. The video below shows rim coming out and going back in front side facing out. I do back side facing out that works better for me. I also do it on a foam pad because one is angling the rim and edges can be forced to the floor. Simple to do with a little practice.

I believe you have radials, and not knowing the added sidewall strength, not sure how easy it would be to force (pull) the tire over the outer edge when installing the rim. Bias are easy. Watch the video from 0:20 to 0:40 for their method.

Beadlock Rim Install

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
[QUOTE My new rims came with 360* protectors when they were shipped. Even so I'm having the front runners mounted by the tire shop. The rears are double beadlocks & plan on mounting them myself using spoons & the shipping protectors.

I have 14”wide beadlocks (conversions) and can pull the rim out and push back into a 32x14 by hand without using lube or spoons in 30 seconds or less with gloves on. The video below shows rim coming out and going back in front side facing out. I do back side facing out that works better for me. I also do it on a foam pad because one is angling the rim and edges can be forced to the floor. Simple to do with a little practice.

I believe you have radials, and not knowing the added sidewall strength, not sure how easy it would be to force (pull) the tire over the outer edge when installing the rim. Bias are easy. Watch the video from 0:20 to 0:40 for their method.

Beadlock Rim Install[/QUOTE]

Guessing never messed with dragster front tires? Samll sidewall noway in hell youi pull them thru. Spoon will note even leverage tire above rim to even get a start. Add in weld aluma star first design not 2.0 have 3/8 lip outward. I was hoping someone had a trick but it would be just that. Changine a beadloc I can do in my sleep. We change them every 10 to 15 pass'. A slick has 20 times the sidewall and hell of lot more flex than a 22x2.5x 17

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Guessing never messed with dragster front tires? Samll sidewall noway in hell youi pull them thru. Spoon will note even leverage tire above rim to even get a start. Add in weld aluma star first design not 2.0 have 3/8 lip outward. I was hoping someone had a trick but it would be just that.

Take your dragster front rims/ tires to the local motorcycle shop. They have the machine to change them on.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
[QUOTE My new rims came with 360* protectors when they were shipped. Even so I'm having the front runners mounted by the tire shop. The rears are double beadlocks & plan on mounting them myself using spoons & the shipping protectors.

Beadlock Rim Install[/QUOTE]

Thanks M&M!

Yes, I have radials & they do have a stiff sidewall. I need to stop procrastinating & have the rear tires dismounted. Then mount them on the beadlocks. The new radial front runners will be mounted at the same time.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I second a motorcycle shop I’ve done a couple sets of fronton my dragsters and I’ll pay a shop much easier

Posts: 413 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
hell anything got to be easier.LOL plus less chance srewing up wheels.If not for 3/8 lip hangine out it would be lot easier to not screwup wheels.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Plus the motorcycle shop will be able to balance them

Posts: 413 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I will by pass any balancing of them. But heading to jap bike shop in kmorning got to be dang site cheaper than HD. Hell will probably be HD bill at most Harley shops.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
problem solved. Good year in Highpoint said no problem and no charge. Pretty sure them being same guys as at track. they are set to go on them.