DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ladder Bar to 4 Link Cost ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ladder Bar to 4 Link Cost ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone have a rough idea the cost (69 Camaro) to convert a back half ladder bar to a 4 link, as well as swap the 12 Bolt for a Ford 9" in the process?

Adding in new shocks/spring, wheelie bars, driveshaft etc...

Thank You

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
parts and labor $5K to $15K depending on who is doing the work and whether they are buying a kit or fabricating the parts.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We are doing the same job now but reusing our shocks, brakes and no wheelie bars. We are doing it all ourselves and expect the job to run around 4000

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Way to many variables you can spend 10 grand on just rear end

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
15 years ago, MPR got $30K for a 4 link back half.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Talked to Mike P. after posting this. You were nearly spot on regarding cost. He mentioned anywhere between 6-15K just in labor. He didn't think it was worth the cost over the current ladder bar setup. 6-10K to replace with new ladder bars, complete rearend and shocks/springs.

I wholly trust Mike's opinion

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
In a door car average weight a ladder bar car can work very good. In many ways the ladder bar cars are easier to tune the chassis.
One thing you need to be aware of is good shocks is more critical with ladder bars to make them work really good. Actually good shocks are pretty important with any hard hitting car.
Extension dampening makes a big difference on how the car hits the tires. A four link has many more adjustments and possibilities but not all of them are better.

Are you having any real problems with the ladder bars? Do you have any good video to see what the car is doing? With good video if you can figure out what is going on you can make a plan to resolve the problem.

Unless you are having any real problems with ladder bars and you simply can not resolve them with shocks or other adjustments I would keep the ladder bars. Then if you have money burning a hole in your pocket More horsepower.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J69:
Ed,

Talked to Mike P. after posting this. You were nearly spot on regarding cost. He mentioned anywhere between 6-15K just in labor. He didn't think it was worth the cost over the current ladder bar setup. 6-10K to replace with new ladder bars, complete rearend and shocks/springs.

I wholly trust Mike's opinion

As you should, none better in the country for stock/super stock type cars.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Curly1, Car works well with the current ladder bar setup thankfully. Just hasn't been updated in awhile and was curious, so I reached out to Mike P. after my post. I'm all setSmile

Thank You

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A lot of races won over the years and still being won with ladder bars and will continue.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post