DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Poor Man’s Racing Radio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Man’s Racing Radio
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I do some of my best thinking during yard work, and today’s thought was noise canceling earbuds in the helmet.

Apple AirPod Pro does a good job with noise cancellation and they are small enough to work with a helmet on. Your crew member could call you as you approach the waterbox, help with alignment, reminders, opponent issues, etc. using technology many of us already have. I hear people talking about how Racing Radios has improved their program and I don’t see why earbuds and cell phones wouldn’t accomplish an improvement in communication with driver and crew.

I’d love to test my theory, but I’m in chassis shop jail and will have to live vicariously through actual racers. Let me know if anyone has tried this or you pooh-pooh on this idea.

Posts: 3 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
im not sure the mic would work inside the helmet. plus all the noise from the crew member.... try it tho

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
J R, what makes you think the crew would make noises?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would think he's referring to header/burnout noise being picked up by the crews phones.???

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hopefully off during run! That way crew will not hear you cussing or in bad situation you screaming OH SHYT.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is a joke. The Baxter's know the Woodfin's and especially Pappa Woodfin has been known to carry on with stories and wild tales.

Of course, I would not do so during a competition run.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
quote:

It is a joke. The Baxter's know the Woodfin's and especially Pappa Woodfin has been known to carry on with stories and wild tales.

Of course, I would not do so during a competition run.

Lol^ I like the phone idea.
You have to have fun doing this. Some of the best stories come from the radios! There are four ( including Jeff) of us on the radios, after he stages its his show. Before he stages it’s me unless the guys pick up on something serious.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Don't see why it wouldn't work. Crew man with a quality bluetooth headset will kill most of the noise. I can ride my diesel tractor and talk on mine and the person on the other end thinks I'm sitting on my couch. Mine is an old Blue Parrot, I'm sure they have better now.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post