DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Headhunter 395 MC on alcohol?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headhunter 395 MC on alcohol?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had a lifter failure using Isky’s EZX bushed .904 lifters. That said my 648 has BAM DLC .937 bushed lifters with near 400 passes on them. I also use PSI ML springs and last season was the first in many that I haven’t broken at least one on 2 different engines, both in the dragster.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of racer7171
posted Hide Post
30 degree of timing will help. I had a miss and lowered the timing and it worked. same heads and size engine on alky carb. It is not a super fast combo, but it is consistent.

Posts: 180 | Location: USA | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a thread on here somewhere about a 632 with these heads and alcohol vs gas. We ran an APD alcohol carb, Ron’s terminator injection and an APD gas carb. The APD gas carb outperformed both alcohol combinations by nearly a tenth. This head does NOT like alcohol on a big cubic in motor and when it gets the volume of alcohol it needs it’s putting unnecessary strain on internals and will cause problems. We ran the alcohol injection for years before rising up on this combination and running gas

We ran alcohol for 15 years on all of our cars and mostly ran rons injection with a primer plus system, so it was far from inexperience being the issue

Again. This head and cubic inch motor does NOT like alcohol compared to gas

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I sat in the dyno room at PAR with Scott and KB when our 632 HH motor was dynoed on a gas carb and then Ron’s injection terminator tuned by James Monroe. I believe the motor made 30ish more HP on alcohol than gas and a lot more torque. I would have to go back and look for exact numbers. KB and Scott told us the motor would still run faster on track on gas than alcohol despite the dyno numbers

We thought we were smarter… we were not

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
anyone run alcohol successfully with Headhunter 395 MC's on a 632? I recently put this motor together with a new APD 1250 and cannot get it to run clean on alcohol, it breaks up and misfires under load, tried different heat range plugs, 8,9,10's with different gaps from .018-.030, tried timing from 32-36 degrees with no change, switched to a gas carb and it runs fine, after some research was told to put a projected tip spark plug such as a R5672A-9 with alcohol? I also run nitrous and from what I am being told, I should not run a projected tip plug with nitrous? I'd like to run alcohol with this because we have a second car on alcohol and its easier to stay with 1 fuel type, but not a big deal. It has 15.6:1 compression so I have been running C16 the last 2 weeks and it seems good but if I can't get it to run good on alcohol is it worth the extra money for C16 vs. 112? Any input is appreciated.

Having the right cam design is part of it but carbs can be tricky. If you want to spend the money Dale Cubic will build you a carb that works with your combo otherwise, EFI fix`s all problems. My 706 with 16.5 compression, 225LB injectors on alcohol makes just over 1400HP.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
I sat in the dyno room at PAR with Scott and KB when our 632 HH motor was dynoed on a gas carb and then Ron’s injection terminator tuned by James Monroe. I believe the motor made 30ish more HP on alcohol than gas and a lot more torque. I would have to go back and look for exact numbers. KB and Scott told us the motor would still run faster on track on gas than alcohol despite the dyno numbers

My engine is about .05 slower than the gas versions in GOOD weather, but rest of the year, it runs the same, or .02 faster. The cam is everything on these engines. Im ok with being .05 slower in good weather, when it runs the same as gas rest of year, and it dont cost 14-20 bucks a gallon for fuel.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

My engine is about .05 slower than the gas versions in GOOD weather, but rest of the year, it runs the same, or .02 faster. The cam is everything on these engines. Im ok with being .05 slower in good weather, when it runs the same as gas rest of year, and it dont cost 14-20 bucks a gallon for fuel.

The decrease in maintenance and headache offsets the expense for me

Even the amount of fuel I have to haul and worry about offsets the expense for me

I understand that everyone’s opinion is different, but after 15 years of alcohol… I won’t go back

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even the amount of fuel I have to haul and worry about offsets the expense for me

I understand that everyone’s opinion is different, but after 15 years of alcohol… I won’t go back

I get that. Im the guy that takes my 450 car to local tracks, to run super pro for a 1000 bucks, and using 200 in racing gas for 1 night is a little much for me, I run m5 and MIGHT burn 100 worth a fuel in a night, making 7-8 runs.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a thread on here somewhere about a 632 with these heads and alcohol vs gas. We ran an APD alcohol carb, Ron’s terminator injection and an APD gas carb. The APD gas carb outperformed both alcohol combinations by nearly a tenth. This head does NOT like alcohol on a big cubic in motor and when it gets the volume of alcohol it needs it’s putting unnecessary strain on internals and will cause problems. We ran the alcohol injection for years before rising up on this combination and running gas

We ran alcohol for 15 years on all of our cars and mostly ran rons injection with a primer plus system, so it was far from inexperience being the issue

Again. This head and cubic inch motor does NOT like alcohol compared to gas

That has been said before many times and may be true at this time. I do think that with right cam research and development alcohol would outperform it.

If on most other motors the alcohol runs better then I think they just have not found the right combination yet on them. Probably much in part to cam.

With that said unless you have the time and money to experiment and try things then may be better to stick with what you know works.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4020 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What maintenance?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
anyone run alcohol successfully with Headhunter 395 MC's on a 632? I recently put this motor together with a new APD 1250 and cannot get it to run clean on alcohol, it breaks up and misfires under load, tried different heat range plugs, 8,9,10's with different gaps from .018-.030, tried timing from 32-36 degrees with no change, switched to a gas carb and it runs fine, after some research was told to put a projected tip spark plug such as a R5672A-9 with alcohol? I also run nitrous and from what I am being told, I should not run a projected tip plug with nitrous? I'd like to run alcohol with this because we have a second car on alcohol and its easier to stay with 1 fuel type, but not a big deal. It has 15.6:1 compression so I have been running C16 the last 2 weeks and it seems good but if I can't get it to run good on alcohol is it worth the extra money for C16 vs. 112? Any input is appreciated.

Having the right cam design is part of it but carbs can be tricky. If you want to spend the money Dale Cubic will build you a carb that works with your combo otherwise, EFI fix`s all problems. My 706 with 16.5 compression, 225LB injectors on alcohol makes just over 1400HP.

You are getting everything out of those 225's at that hp level.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What maintenance?

Increased oil changes for one, even with the primer plus system

But, that engine combination for whatever reason for us on alcohol had a lot of broke valves, valve springs and even lifters. Switched it to gas and never had a single engine issue. Was it the alcohol? I don’t know

All other engines never had problems on alcohol, but a 632 head hunter motor sure seemed to

DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racer7171:
30 degree of timing will help. I had a miss and lowered the timing and it worked. same heads and size engine on alky carb. It is not a super fast combo, but it is consistent.

At this point I don't think I will bother going back to alcohol with this combo considering the performance from this past weekend, out of the 12 passes I made over 2 days, it went 5.06 - 5.07 @ 137-138 in not the best air, I used approx. 7 gallons of C16 which isn't terrible. I sent my carb back to APD to convert it to gas so this was with a borrowed 1250, my goal with this combo was to run 4.90's so with the right carb and a few more adjustments, I think it will be there

Posts: 20 | Location: Fredonia | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

What maintenance?

But, that engine combination for whatever reason for us on alcohol had a lot of broke valves, valve springs and even lifters. Switched it to gas and never had a single engine issue. Was it the alcohol? I don’t know

All other engines never had problems on alcohol, but a 632 head hunter motor sure seemed to[/QUOTE]

If you have to change your oil more often, you missed the tune up bad! Alky don't care about running way rich, gas will not run way rich! Alky don't break valves and NOS don't hurt motors,..........

crew chiefs do though!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

What maintenance?

All other engines never had problems on alcohol, but a 632 head hunter motor sure seemed to

If you have to change your oil more often, you missed the tune up bad! Alky don't care about running way rich, gas will not run way rich! Alky don't break valves and NOS don't hurt motors,..........

crew chiefs do though![/QUOTE]

trip zip and dead 0

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What maintenance?

crew chiefs do though!

trip zip and dead 0[/QUOTE]

Ran alcohol for 15 years and all of the injection was tuned by James Monroe by data such as EGT and time slips. Any leaner and the car slowed way up both in ET and MPH

Much rather run gas in general, but especially on the head hunter heads

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What maintenance?

crew chiefs do though!

trip zip and dead 0

Ran alcohol for 15 years and all of the injection was tuned by James Monroe by data such as EGT and time slips. Any leaner and the car slowed way up both in ET and MPH

Much rather run gas in general, but especially on the head hunter heads[/QUOTE]

So you had it wrong for 15 years!

Whether injection or carb, you can puke the oil at either WOT or idling or both! Idling is usually the issue because you can't ignore it!!! As I stated, alky will run/idle puke fat where gas won't. If you are milking the oil you are too rich, period! I don't care who tune it. BTW I know James well also.

I ran a 565 Head Hunter motor on alky with injection for years! Oil stayed cleaner longer with alky! No added maintenance with alky & injection.

FYI, EGT's can be misleading! O2 is much better.

Also nothing wrong with gas either!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

What maintenance?[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then your tune up was way off. I run alcohol and change my oil between 60-70 runs and currently have 400+ runs on my short block.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I BOUGHT TOP38 's Terminator setup, love it. Was on a 632 w/ 383 HH / MC w/ 35* timing. Door car best of 7.80 @ 173 @ 2600#. It is now on a 12* 632 (made 1302 on gas carb - ran 7.61 @ 2720#) I'll find out Friday night....

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
having trouble also with 582 headhunter not wanting to run

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post