Find
Notify
Tools

Altalab Users
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
I've got this shiny new trailer I'm fitting out. Previously my weather pole was fed thru the front wall. I'd noticed that at some races larger tow rigs would either shade the weather sensor or block anemometer.

This time I'd like to keep the console at the front but the sensor pole at the rear to get it out in clear air. Altalab says I can run he sensor cable quite long (long enough for this installation) but, that antenna cable needs to be less than 45 feet to maintain signal strength.

Is anyone here using a long antennae cable and how long is it?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I’ve never seen that and think you’re looking for some advantage where there is none. 99% have their weather station at the front of the trailer on a pole, some with stackers have it on the side of the trailer based on interior cabinet layout and POE. What I have seen is some put the antenna on the shield plate up on the pole.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Why not go out the side, close to where the display box is located with a permanent antenna? That is how I do the Top Fuel and Funny Car teams that get weather stations from us.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have mine on the side, in front of the door. With an extendable paint pole, I can get it way up in the air above any blockage, unless I’m parked in the trees somewhere.

I can’t think of any advantage to be gained at the rear of the trailer.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Not ignoring you guys, just considering what you've suggested.

I am concerned about the antenna cable length. Normally, I just set the antenna on a cookie sheet and set it on the trailer tongue. I do know someone with a rear mount and they don't seem to have problems.

Mounting it the way I've done before does solve a lot of problems and saves some work.

Thanks for the photo Ed. I was just fixin' to go through your thread and see if you were using a painters pole for a sensor mount.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine is like Ed’s except I came thru the front wall with a connector, but I have a box on the tongue that makes it a little easie to

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
Mine is like Ed’s except I came thru the front wall with a connector, but I have a box on the tongue that makes it a little easie to

On my last trailer I used an outdoor electrical cover and a little fuzzy cable TV pass thru for the cable to connect to the weather console. A clean set up. The mounted on the front of the trailer.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I used to put my antenna on a pizza pan on the roof of the trailer. I’ve since bought a stronger antenna off eBay and it is also mounted to the pole beneath the weather sensor, pointed toward the staging lanes.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I finished the weather station install this morning. I took the advice offered here and installed in the front like I did with my previous trailer. The trailer is 6" higher than the last one and the pole is another foot longer.

It took me so long because I dithered around putting a hole in the front of my new trailer. The installation is just like the last which gave me no trouble at all.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Looks good

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yep, looks very nice!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post