DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BBC, Alum. Block / 55mm Roller cam brgs.?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC, Alum. Block / 55mm Roller cam brgs.?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted
Building a new Alum. 632, Going w/ 55mm. cam - ANY REAL Benefits to going ROLLER cam brgs.? H.P.?, longevity? >do they fail?< no crazy pressures 300/900, Thanks.. HMMMM

Posts: 257 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No more issues with roller vs Babbitt bearings. Use a raised cam block or 2.100 rod pin to help with cam to rod clearance.

Duane Allen

Posts: 29 | Location: Sandston VA | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I went babbit with my 55mm cam. I just didnt like the idea of all those needles inside my engine. Just my personal choice and nothing more, just didnt see the benefit in TD.

Posts: 2484 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Isn’t the trend in lifter going to bushes instead of needles for the very reason of getting the needles out of the motor?

Posts: 2593 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Brodix aluminum block here, 55mm needle bearings...no issues whatsoever. I actually asked to have the babbit bearings instead, block showed up set up for rollers...oh well. cam does go in easy and turns really easy....if that even matters

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1504 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Are any alterations necessary to the lifter galleys and is the oil flow path thru there affected by the use of the 55mm Roller Brgs ?

Posts: 233 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
They both work! I've used the roller deal for a while with no issues. Not sure I'd want to use a babbit without a set screw in an AL block though.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Top38, That's why I mentioned
'Alum. block',in case of expansion differences, Trying to justify the cost, if there is HP to be had? What could it be worth 1 - 5 HP? Sunset will be building the short block.....& my 383MC HH & your Terminator.

Posts: 257 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Most of the frictional losses in an engine are from the piston rings. Honestly I don't think you'd see any difference with one over the other. I went with them because that's how my block came...

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1504 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
Are any alterations necessary to the lifter galleys and is the oil flow path thru there affected by the use of the 55mm Roller Brgs ?

None that I'm aware of. Other than lifter bores being oversized nothing has changed in my block except there are no oil supply holes to the cam bearings

Mark Goulette