DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Small block guys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small block guys
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I currently have a 408 in shorty dragster. I’m gonna build a 18 degree headed motor this winter. I have been told to put 5.85 rods in it instead of the 6 inch I have now. Some say it will run better. Do any of you small block guys have any input on this? It’s 3.75 stroke 4.185 bore. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would run 6 inch rods. I have 6 inch rods in my 3.875 stroke 18 degree motor.

Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe if your supercharged or running a lot of nitrous and need to move the ring pack lower.

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Like bc Malibu said,if you need to move top ring down for nitrous, go with 5.85 rods. Otherwise stick with six inch rods

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Stop worrying about rod length and worry about ring package. Get that sorted out and connect the piston to the crank. Rod length is WAY overrated.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:
I currently have a 408 in shorty dragster. I’m gonna build a 18 degree headed motor this winter. I have been told to put 5.85 rods in it instead of the 6 inch I have now. Some say it will run better. Do any of you small block guys have any input on this? It’s 3.75 stroke 4.185 bore. Thanks in advance.

Depends on cam and induction etc, etc. But hypothetically speaking lets say you have one 5.85 rod engine, one 6.00 rod engine. And the 5.85 rod engine out runs the 6.00 rod engine. It'll be for a couple reasons 1. The torque converter multiplies more torque below stall due to the broad torque curve of the short rod engine. 2. The broad torque short rod is advantageous in comparison to a higher average torque long rod all things equal,,, gear (converter slip), converter stall (rpm).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run 6" rods in my 4" stroke 15 degree sbc

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Stop worrying about rod length and worry about ring package. Get that sorted out and connect the piston to the crank.
quote:
Rod length is WAY overrated.

That's not what she said....
bada bump

goob- depends on your pinion angle, really....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Stop worrying about rod length and worry about ring package. Get that sorted out and connect the piston to the crank. Rod length is WAY overrated.

Bingo!!!

I ran 5.850's in my 18* and 15* 399" motor. So many considerations went into that decision, but primarily the ring package.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post