DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Replacing Brake Lines on Older Door Cars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing Brake Lines on Older Door Cars
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
I am going to do a complete replumbing of the brake system on the 68 Camaro. Pretty-much all of the brake lines for the entire hydraulic system, from Master Cylinder to the Rear (Drum Brake) Wheel Cylinders and the Front Calipers.
My question is regarding the brake line materials that others have used with good results. I have used several of the green / gray colored, (easily bendable by hand), aftermarket lines in recent years, to replace factory pre-bent lines on older cars, that are no longer available. I really like using that stuff, and have had no issues with it on normal street-driven cars. Anyone use it on race cars? Other than more vibration, and possibly higher pressures at times, I am thinking it should be fine to use. Not finding any info on pressure rating, but I would assume it should be well above normal brake system pressures.
Also looking for recommendations on the flex lines / hoses that go to the calipers. I guess I can sum up the reason for asking all this, is that I don't know if there are any domestic sources for brake lines anymore. And I still do not trust Chinese manufacturing to have a high degree of concern for the quality, and safety of the end user, whether it be with baby toys, dog food, or brake hoses. Yes, I know they have made progress on some things, but they still can't make a fastener that isn't soft, or any stainless steel item that does not rust, or any solar powered lights that don't fail in less than a year. I am willing to pay for quality stuff if I can find it. Thanks in advance for any advice or info. Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1076 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post

Posts: 142 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I have a 68 also. Keep us posted when you get going on this and take pics.

Clark

Posts: 142 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Don't know your wants, if you want original looking or not. I use NiCop for brake lines but these are daily drivers and it's one and done for rust. They don't look original but neither do the coated steel lines but if you think the green steel lines are easy to work with you'll be amazed at NiCop lines. I bought braided flex hoses, fit and worked well.

Posts: 1527 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've done a few cars with PVF coated steel.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As posted above, the "NiCopp" tubing is easy to work on and completely acceptable for our applications. Car Quest has them, and I expect other stores. They are available in 10" increments from 10 - 60. I use the premade line, when possible, simply because it is easier. You will need a "coupler" to add the required length going to the rear. Usually, a slight rerouting will accommodate a 10" length. In cases when a custom length is needed, I use one end of the NiCopp and then cut and double-flare the other end as needed.

In my experience, using OE-type connections is simply easier and completely acceptable. I use OE-type flex hoses from the local parts store.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1861 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice and info, guys. I have no concern with it not looking original, and the NiCopp tubing sounds like the way to go. Appreciate it! Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1076 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I just did my Corvette (street car) with stainless lines. Be forewarned, they are a real PITA to flare. Also, they can sometimes be difficult to get the inverted flare fittings to seal. It helps if you tighten the fitting, loosen it & tighten it again to help them seat. I think the regular green-coated steel is just fine for a race car that will never see the elements.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 648 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Just did the Olds a few weeks ago with NiCop and it was very easy. I had to get the adaptor for the rear line at Tubes and Hoses. The rest was straight forward.

Bought a 25' roll of NiCop on Amazon for $36 and had plenty left over.

Posts: 405 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post