DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Saga continues..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saga continues..
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Well got those that didn't see the last post. Rebuilt PG over the winter.
Moved Rossler internals into Reid's case.

Took car out first time about 1.5 months ago. First 2 runs car went 5.7 and varied only few thousands. 3rd run burned band up.

Rebuilt that week and finally got it this weekend. Rain here in pa had things cancelled.

Went out this weekend and first run car make whole 1/8 mile pass no leaks and ran the expected ET for heat. When I left off at 1/8 mile it puked out the breather fluid which created a nice smoke screen. Not a lot of fluid.

I purposely put the level high thinking that might have been a reason for first failure. Level was set at exactly 3/4 inch above pan rail.

Removed about 1qt of oil and put level at pan rail. Made another pass and same thing. But less smoke.
Checked level and it was there I used to run it. Thinking it was just residual from first pass made another run. This time no smoke or anything. Feeling good about things out car in trailer for the night. Next morning first time trial car smoked the band again.

Got car home. Checked shifter to make sure it was indexing and it's perfect in ever gear. Pin drops in freely in every gear. Even tried the shift solenoid and again it shifts perfect. All positions pin freely goes in and out.

Recheck of pressure in 1 & 2 show 230psi. Same as it was after both rebuild

Band was set at 74inch pounds and backed off 3.5 turns.

Dipstick was marked at both pan rail and 3/4 above.

Transynd fluid. Same I used years prior.

Anyone run into where Reid's case causes issues it's the only thing really changed besides band and clutches.

I did read today where someone said their valve body needed clearance to Reid's case but I didn't see any issues when putting it together. Also you would think the pressures would be low if it was leaking.

When checking pressures it does bounce between 205-230.

Valve body was Rossler.

Just looking for ideas before I take it to Rossler this week.... Would like to resolve it myself.

Thanks

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1453 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have seen on multiple ocaisions where the band must be set visually for proper clearance. the tollerance on aftermarket parts stack to the tight side side and cause the band to drag bad at 3.5 turns.must adjust with pan off upside down to see drum turn.it must be completely free and 1 to 1 with output shaft turned by hand.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1438 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
also sounds like you need to pull pressure relief and sand spool in circular motion and bore.from other symptoms de scribed i would separate pump and clean sufaces well to ensure seal.use new gasket to seal to case.if something else is trying to turn the drum the band cant hold it if thats the case would indicate a valve body issue.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1438 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
tap all holes and insure proper bolt depth

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What servo and spring is being used ?

Posts: 121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
First time new sonnex guided. Then I went back to the same one Rossler had put in stock cased PG I was running with zero issues before rebuild.

Posts: 1453 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is the band aftermarket or a stock reline?

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 33 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Got first one from TSI

Second one came from Abruzzi. I spoke to Marco and he knows the car and power level.

I don't know the difference between what your asking. Sorry.

Pulled trans out today and checked valve body. Bolt hole depths and proper seating. Everything checks out good.

Is it possible that something in valve body needs changed to work with Reid's case and Rossler valve body? Rossler also put ringless shaft in stock case prior to be moving internals to Reid's case.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible that something in valve body needs changed to work with Reid's case and Rossler valve body?

probobly not but be sure to pull relief spool and sand the spool and bore.also on reassembly before you put the valve body on and the pump is in adjust the band.must be free and turn 1 to 1 with output no matter on turns

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
DON'T FORGET TO AIR TEST THE SERVO PISTON & SPRING....THE SERVO SHAFT COULD HANG UP IN THE BORE...SET BAND BY TURN OF THE DRUM METHOD, CAN'T GO WRONG DOING

IT THAT WAY...THE AFTERMARKET WIDE BANDS SOMETIMES DON'T FIT THE DRUM & ARE WAY TO TIGHT...THE FACTORY RE-LINED BAND ALWAYS FITS...GOOD LUCK..

Posts: 62 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well took trans to very well known shop and had them go thru it.
Came to Empire. Car launched had best 60ft time, hit second gear and smoked the trans. Unreal.

Has to be the case.

Put motion Raceworks shifter in it too to eliminate that variable also on this go around.

I put a sensor on the servo too this go around. At Idle it was 240psi. 245 at 2200. Unfortunately it didn't record the pressure on the run. Been years since I added sensor to racepak and I must not have added it to the list to record. After run, pressure was only 140psi. After car cooled down out went back up to 210psi.
I think the case is cracked internally and letting air into system somehow. Why it's blowing out the vent and fluid was very aerated in catch can.
Transynd fluid being used which I've used for years.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Interesting, is this a brand new Reid case?

Posts: 2489 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Straight from them. Thing has cost me big-time.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just something off the wall, how is your catch can vented? Reason I ask is I burned up 2 trans in the TD once, logger showed pressure was very erratic. What I discovered was the little stone filter in the trans overflow tank was clogged up and with no actual vent the pump was cavitating. I took the filter off and ran a plastic line directly to the puke tank for the engine and never had any issue again.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
quote:

Straight from them. Thing has cost me big-time.

Please check your private messages.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 33 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have it nailed down. I thin area in case opens when hot. Some strange **** happens with race car. Believe me I know oh too well.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just something off the wall, how is your catch can vented? Reason I ask is I burned up 2 trans in the TD once, logger showed pressure was very erratic. What I discovered was the little stone filter in the trans overflow tank was clogged up and with no actual vent the pump was cavitating. I took the filter off and ran a plastic line directly to the puke tank for the engine and never had any issue again.

Wow something like that has the potential to drive you crazy for a long time!

Posts: 732 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Had metal one that the trans came with. Was just running that on first two.. Never in all my years have I had a drop come out of a trans.
Had builder install catch can which has nylon line to can or box. That has similar metal one.
So all that is changed as well.
Has to be the case. Cracked, porosity or something that let's it lose pressure or introduce air...
Going to definitely put next build in new case one way or the other.

DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
I'M WATCHING THIS POST TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS...VERY INTERESTED....JUST QUESTIONS...DIDN'T SEE WHAT PUMP YOU HAVE..A GM CAST RACE PUMP OR AFTERMARKET TYPE...I SEE

A RINGLESS INPUT SHAFT..SO THE STATOR TUBE MUST HAVE BUSHINGS INSIDE IT...I'VE SEEN THOSE BUSHINGS MOVE AROUND & BLOCK THE COOLER RETURN HOLE....I'VE ALSO

SEEN VALVEBODY PRESSURE REGULATORS THAT ARE TOO SLOW TO REACT...IT LETS THE PRESSURE GO WAY TO HIGH ..BEFORE IT BRINGS IT BACK TO 240 PSI...THE FLUID LOOKING

LIKE AIR WAS IN IT....SEEN CONVERTERS DO IT...TURNED RED FLUID TO WHITE FLUID...MILKY...THE GUY THAT TALKED ABOUT THE VENT...HE IS 100% CORRECT...GOOD LUCK

THANKS FOR THE POST..DK

Posts: 62 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well I took the transmission back to Rosslers this past week for another diagnosis. I told Carl that I heard what sounded like metal this time in the converter. Keep in mind the converter was looked at before and nothing. We went to summit to get some sensors for racepak to better log the trans. Carl called and said the trans inside looked good but he agreed the converter seemed broke this time. Keep in mind the run it broke this time had a 1.25 60ft which was .03 better then usual...
I wanted to make a huge Shout-out to Mike Rietow - RIPPER. He has spent countless phone calls thru this with me. He suggested based on logs we shared that I increase the stall 200RPM. Carl drove the converter over to Abruzzi shop while we were at summit. Marco got right on it calling me an hour later to confirm the fins were damaged. I requested the 200rpm change and Marco Said no prob.
Got the trans back from Rossler that afternoon, but had to have converter mailed next day back. Carl said he put a new pump in it free of charge and didn't charge me a dime. They what clearanced the case in the area of the band. They said it was one of the worst they had seen.
Got everything installed Thursday night and Friday morning Carl called at 8am to see how everything went and if I got converter back. We discussed everything and he said he would follow up Saturday.
Took car to the track Friday for TT with Saturday being 3rd points day. I missed out on the first 2 despite being here but with hurt trans.
First run the car is absolute bullet. The converter change that Mike suggested was spot on. Car went new best in the heat with 5.65@121. only got 3 runs but car repeated. Mike thought we could tighten it up even more the next day so we make some timing adjustments and shock changes. Again this dude knows his stuff. Car responded perfect and was deadly all day going even quicker 5.64@122.
I went 9 rounds taking out some good competition. First round was buddy unfortunately that just won an event at Ohio Ace race and had been on fire. There were races I was holding 3-4 and was putting car dead on dial. Went on to win the race.
Again huge shout-out to Mike Rietow. The man knows his stuff. He is awesome to "pit"with even though he is hundreds of miles away. He knows his stuff! Also huge thanks to Rossler and Abruzzi for taking care of me.
I wish I could tell you all exactly what the prob was but I honestly can't. I think it was a stack-up of issues and somehow we flushed the unhappy combo into one that is very happy now. Car has never been so good.
Again thanks you everyone who helped out.