DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cleaning fuel system
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning fuel system
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Good morning. Looking for suggestions on how best to clean out a fuel system in a passenger car. I have a 1999 and a 2001 Buick Park Ave, which both have not run in over five years each. I’m hoping to avoid having to drop the gas tanks to clean them out. Any suggestions on a good way to clean the fuel lines without dropping the tanks? Trying to put as little work into these as I can to ensure they do actually run before putting any real effort into making them reliable vehicles again. Thanks.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 108 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Pull the lines off the fuel filter, and cycle the key until the tank is empty. Refill with 5 gallons of good gas, and repeat process. Then, put new fuel filter on it, and 5 gallons of non ethanol gas, and see what you got.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
They have in tank pumps so the first thing is to see if the pumps work. Both should have a jumper to run the pumps or you can jump at the relay. Pull the lines and pump fuel like described above. I wouldn't care if the fuel had ethanol or not since you're just flushing with it. Don't be surprised if you end up dropping the tanks for a clogged filter on the pump, a bad pump or bad hoses where the pump attaches to the sending unit.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Pretty much what I did with the race car recently. Not so sure about getting the fuel pump on these cars to stay running long enough to flush them like that. I didn't consider running them off a jumper, but will give that a shot. Thanks again.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 108 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If there isn't any varnish smell, don't worry about it, just run them.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1659 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a wiring diagram online for the cars. From memory, not a good one anymore, there should be a fuel pump test lead under the hood. Usually a loose wire with a green connector end on it. Again from memory you can jump to that lead and power the fuel pump continuously. The lead should be near the fuel pump relay under the hood.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
See if you can find a wiring diagram online for the cars. From memory, not a good one anymore, there should be a fuel pump test lead under the hood. Usually a loose wire with a green connector end on it. Again from memory you can jump to that lead and power the fuel pump continuously. The lead should be near the fuel pump relay under the hood.

Great info. Thanks. I'll be back at mom n pops house in a few days to give that a shot.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100