DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission techs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission techs
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Glide 4.70 dragster, band is broke, kevlar is gone on the 2 outside part of the band, drum has 2 black Mark's, I'm thinking someone had the band to tight to cause this, is my thought prolly correct?

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How much pressure on the servo port low and high gear at 2000 rpm? Stock servo spring? Dual ring servo? stock servo? pin supported servo? ratio servo? what servo? Did you verify the full mark on the dip stick in relation to the pan rail? If not it may have just been low on oil. There's a bunch of things it could be. The better the info you give, the better the info I give.

Who do you suspect over tightened the band?

Probably not over tightened unless you know something not mentioned.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of that info sorry

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I took the trans in on trade , it broke on the 2nd pass

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coop5140:
I took the trans in on trade , it broke on the 2nd pass

The number one cause is low oil. How many quarts of oil did you pour in it?

9" or 10" converter?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
10 inch converter was full when installed ,transmission was full on the stick I believe it was 8 qt.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
10" converter, 10 quarts oil or thereabouts. Put a band in it and check the pressure on the servo port. 4.70 dragster you need 225 - 245psi tops. Make sure it has a Liberal vent.

Shift lever, good point TD3550. Check that from park to low, reverse to low, to neutral and back to low etc etc simulate a run from the burnout on while checking shifter cable to lever adjustment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Fluid level and Shifter adjustment are the #1 problem.Like Mike stated, A lot of variables. Did you manually check the shift location? Same shaft arm?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My 10” holds 8 qts COOP..10 would be blowing everywhere

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

Yeah, 8 in the trans, if you have 2 in the converter when you stick it in the pump.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

Yeah, 8 in the trans, if you have 2 in the converter when you stick it in the pump.
Nah 8 total..

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It probably would hold 3/4 more quart but I run mine on the low side

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
10 - 4, special PG tuneup. I like it.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I checked my shifter linkage, I thought it was 8 but whatever the number , I checked when I got to the track and had to add a half a quart to get it to the full line I didn't take the pressure readings because I felt like the gear set broke because it only went about 10 feet then free wheeled, to the chip, the run before it was about 03 slow. I'm gonna finish taking it apart today to check what servo I have.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It don't matter necessarily what the full mark on the stick says until you verify the full mark on the stick in relation to the pan rail Coop. I'm not saying it was low but giving you variables to rule out for a more efficient path to fixing the problem,. Follow the ottm link in my sig below to the picture gallery, there's an image showing where the full mark on the stick should be in relation to the pan rail. Before you take it apart, you can qualify oil level as a possible cause. Post pictures like for instance the pan, how much of the band is in the pan? If the band is in the pan you'll need to completely break it down, and split the valve body to clean everything properly, for reassembly.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, I have never checked my stick before to the pan rail and I can't now because the dip stick is back in my original transmission, but I will get one for this transmission as well and check it, I have been trying to post pics but haven't been able to figure that out yet.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Get a IMGUR acct. Go to new post, that'll open your down loaded images. Then click the on the down arrow after choosing the image to get share links, you'll have four choices. Choose the BBC code (forums). Paste that code here. Then click post now here.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Was this SIDS..

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
WW no way