DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange TH350 issue. HELP!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange TH350 issue. HELP!
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted
I have a TH350 in my car that has a forward pattern manual valve body. What's happening is the car will feel like it's in a bind right before the shift point in first gear. It doesn't do it every pass, and it doesn't seem to have a consistent, predictable pattern of doing it either. I've noticed that sometimes after doing it, it'll push a small amount of fluid out of the vent as well. My transmission builder went through it earlier this year and found a few small issues, but nothing really stood out that could be causing this. Another transmission builder told me that he's seen "cross feeding" cause this and to try removing the valve body gasket? Also, for what it's worth, this transmission was in the car when it had a rear end failure a few years ago. Is it possible there's a hairline crack inside the case that's causing intermittent issues?

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 39 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
or a warped valve body

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I had a TH-400 do that, replacing the case cured it after all the other valve body replacement and inspection dances.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you need a new trans builder that knows what he is doing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a turbo 350 years ago doing weird **** binding occasionally ended up one of the balls in the valve body was not completely round and it would bleed threw at times

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

I put a powerglide in the car and the issues went away, so obviously something is wrong with the TH350 internally. My only guess is something happened to the case when the car broke the rear end.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 39 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
as I stated

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you need a new trans builder that knows what he is doing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed most of these guys don't want to pay the price for a good transmission builder. Also most of the good ones are overwhelmed with work just because they ARE good.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
True and they typically never learn. Long ago I made the move to the best 3 speed trans builder in the country after my local guy couldn't build a turbo400 that would make 100 passes with the last rebuild making only 6 passes and I never regretted that decision and while I no longer run a 3 speed, I'd go right back to him if I ran stock, super stock or a heads up class. BTW, he once told me any idiot can build a glide. Big Grin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The builder I use has a dyno and my th400 has been on it.

Posts: 2474 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
mine too

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mine to. But they work and last.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
ATI still doing yours?