DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ignition help msd grid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ignition help msd grid
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Got her outta the trailer with a crank no start.Ended up being the msd black box 7720 fired right up.At the track first pass she had nothing and wouldn't even get to the shiftpoint.Racepak showing the ignition breaking up all the way down fuel pressure is dead on.There are no alerts in the grid.Put a cap and rotor on her.Ohm out the coil and crank trigger both in spec.Tossed a crank trigger on her anyways.seems much better in the pit but missed the last qualifier.Would the red grid box ever cause this issue? Only thing left on her lol.

Posts: 1433 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
From what I understand the 7720 is a analog box and is dumb and only does what it is told to do by the 7730 controller.

Posts: 2530 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
From when I was testing the crank no start the coil and crank trigger cables go into the black box.I have heard of crank no start outta the red grid box but I haven't really heard of any misfire out of it and I have no alerts out of it.

Posts: 1433 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In Grid data acquisition I would look at the Ignition In and Ignition Out channels to see what Grid is doing. I would also look at Deutch connectors to ensure that the pins are properly seated in the connector. The Male connector with female pins are the most problematic. If there’s dielectric grease in the pins blow it out with compressed air.

Posts: 2647 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
msd says the 7720 and 7730 will only cause no spark not ignition break up.

they said plugs..engine grounds or mag interference are only things that will cause my issue

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:

they said plugs..engine grounds or mag interference are only things that will cause my issue

Yea and they are ****ing idiots. I would try a coil 1st, but if that doesnt fix it, then change both boxes.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 741 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Tech support isn't what it used to be.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 782 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the 7730 pulled a bunch of timing that it wasnt suppose to pull causing crossfire in the cap it damn sure would.

I have one that will pull timing 3 runs in a row like it is programed for then the next 3 runs it wont pull any timing but msd data logs says it did.
Explain that one?

Posts: 2530 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Wack because the first pass it wouldnt even get to the shift point done at 7650.Second pass i ran a new chassis ground uo to the engine and it seemed way better but still doing it just a bit higher rpm.
The coil ohmed out fine but i will throw a 7730 and a new coil in it for the heck of it.If they dont fix it i will have good spares lol

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

The coil ohmed out fine but i will throw a 7730 and a new coil in it for the heck of it.If they dont fix it i will have good spares lol

Thats what I would do

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Mike while you are at it throw a coil wire on it for good measure even if it ohms good.

Ken

Posts: 321 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike while you are at it throw a coil wire on it for good measure even if it ohms good.

Thanks ken!!
Midas well put a whole set on her.Happy dragster is a happy life

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

If the 7730 pulled a bunch of timing that it wasnt suppose to pull causing crossfire in the cap it damn sure would.

I have one that will pull timing 3 runs in a row like it is programed for then the next 3 runs it wont pull any timing but msd data logs says it did.
Explain that one?
Big Steve How did you determine that the Box wasn't pulling the timing yet the MSD files said they did? Not doubting as I always suspect that we experience that as well

Posts: 235 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard complaints about Grid ICT not being correct ( how the user determined this is unknown to me) and causing engine damage.

When using retard in Launch or Step, I generally program Maximum Total Retard to a value equal to the sum of those amounts. I program 10* Maximum Total Retard because this is the value I use for the start retard. 30* is the Maximum Total Retard Default value.

Grid allows for six categories of retard programming. I’ve errored in using this several times and have reviewed some that have done the same as well. A common one is trying to set the timing when a retard is running in the program.

Grid Data Acquisition with all channels active is a good place to start your investigating for problems during a run.

Posts: 2647 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

Explain that one?
Big Steve How did you determine that the Box wasn't pulling the timing yet the MSD files said they did? Not doubting as I always suspect that we experience that as well

Because the car was .150 faster than it should be and You can also see the RPM not dropping down on the on the data logger graph when the timing is pulled compared to a run when it pulled the timing correctly.Plus when it pulled the timing I could hear the RPM change in the engine, I am using the grid like a throttle stop to run a index class. I was pulling 10* on launch retard at .400 all back in at 2.50 sec and 5* on step 1 at .500 back in at 1.20 using the delay box timer. it was pulling the step 1 but not the launch retard

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Gris is next on;ist since about finish with crank trigger. You guys seem to always hav e and issue oif some kind witht hem and have me wondering nif smart moveto buy one.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have 5 close friends with the grid and never any problems.

Most problems are self inflicted when it comes to any MSD product. Bad grounds, incorrect wiring and so forth. They always blame the product and NEVER admit to making and error, either during the install or during programming.

Nothing is perfect and parts fail. But when it happens repeatedly to the same person, you gotta wonder.

*this is not directed to anyone in this thread, just a general statement to give Wideopen something to think about

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 782 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
1000s of Grids out there, personally I ran one for over 5 years and never had an issue until recently. But like any electronic device, there will be failures from time to time. The one I am having intermittent issues with has a 2017 MFG date on it, just time to cycle it out and get a new one