DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    02 Ford RV V10 spark plugs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

02 Ford RV V10 spark plugs?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted
I got 40K on my plugs, was told they could get carbon'd up & strip on the way out...Is there special/different plugs I should replace with? -or- stick w/ O.E.M.?
Thanks...

Posts: 257 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Stay with oem. And yes, they can strip the threads on removal. I've done many of those. They make a lot to install inserts of that happens.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1505 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would use anti-seize and a torque wrench on the new plugs. If you have exposed threads extending into the combustion chamber, I have ground extra threads off then use a thread chaser to true the threads before installation. The inherent Ford engineering problem is, while you have a very long thread portion of the plug body, only the first few threads actually engage in the head, then there is a void, then there is the tapered seat for the plug. I believe Ford corrected this in later model heads. There are stories of "ejecting" plugs out of running engines when the threads failed.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2351 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post