Find
Notify
Tools

Bushed lifters?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted
So this may well be an ignorant question, but I don't know the answer!

My Indy and KB blocks do not have oil pressure to the lifters. I've always run needle bearing lifters, but have had a few failures.
So can you run bushed lifters with just splash oiling?
Can you rebuild needle lifters into bushed lifters?
Does anyone rebuild Crane lifters?

The Morel website says they rebuild anyones lifters, but no public contact, dealers only. How does that work?

Thanks for any info.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Rip,

I asked this question of both Crower and Bam. Both said not to run a bushed lifter without lifter oiling.

I did run a set of Comp Bushed lifters for a while. Until one broke and took out the cam. The others did look OK though, so I don't know what caused them to break.

What I have discovered in looking at lifters is Crower has several "grades" of lifters depending on spring pressures. I ran a set of them for one season and so far no issues. Now if I could get a set of rods to last more than 10 years I would be happy...lol

I had a set of Bam lifters in my 572 but only had 8 dyno pulls and 4 passes before spinning a bearing and breaking a rod, so the jury is still out on them. Although I have heard very good thing about them.
Contact Nick Ferri he is a dealer for Bam. He treated me good, and he will likely know who to talk to about rebuilding yours. Nick Ferri

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3315 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I'll add. Looking at everyone's web site. all say not to restrict oil to the lifters.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3315 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Howards cams has been my contact point for sending in lifters to Morel for rebuild

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 425 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A couple sets back, i sent my 842's into lunati.
Charged about 1/2 the price on the rebuild. They were Morel Ultra pro's.But like stated, talk to Nick. I believe the re builder was Morel.

Posts: 1410 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
I'll add. Looking at everyone's web site. all say not to restrict oil to the lifters.

Dave

I ran into this a few years ago, I had done allot of research on lifters and spent time speaking with Shafiroff. I put Morel lifters in, I had the block rebushed and clearace is .0017" as suggested by John Callis. I removed the restricters as Morels info suggested. I have over 500 passes on them and they look like new, oil pressure is better then it ever has been and is very steady. This is in a BBC. It's nothing fancy, I was just bothered by the wear on the lifter bodies and the lack of passes I was getting out of lifters before they showed signs of axle/ needle wear. Shafiroff is a dealer for morel and lifters can be sent through them for rebuild at Morel. I wish I had of copied all the stuff I had read off Morels site, allot of it has been replaced and or removed, it was very informative literature.

Posts: 111 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC4400:
So this may well be an ignorant question, but I don't know the answer!

My Indy and KB blocks do not have oil pressure to the lifters. I've always run needle bearing lifters, but have had a few failures.
So can you run bushed lifters with just splash oiling?
Can you rebuild needle lifters into bushed lifters?
Does anyone rebuild Crane lifters?

The Morel website says they rebuild anyones lifters, but no public contact, dealers only. How does that work?

Thanks for any info.

RIP

Speak with Ron Isky. they have done this years ago with their bushed lifters.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I talked to Brad at BAM. He was great. He's experimenting with lifters that don't need oil feed, but not ready yet. He is going to rebuild my Cranes, as that is his history. I'll be keeping his contact info for sure.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Click the dealer link on the page. It will show the authorized dealers that will accept them and send into Morel.

https://johncalliesinc.com/rebuilds.php

Posts: 1410 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post