DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Eliminating throttle stops in 8.90and 9.90
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eliminating throttle stops in 8.90and 9.90
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I wasnt talking about changing index numbers just eliminating the throttle stops.
But may then create safety issue with people hammering the brakes
But in td the answer right now appears to be lifting at 1000 feet

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I'd like to see the indexes reduced one second and eliminate the throttle stops. Now that would bring some challenges.

Just Say'n

It would be much more difficult for most if they eliminated the throttle stops but left the indexes alone.

Most wouldn't be able to slow down enough mechanically while still being able to get the car to react.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
Jenevet how about making Top Dragster and Top Sportsman N/A classes? No power adders... I'm all for that...

Hi Mark! How are you? Probably one of the best suggestions I have heard yet! And yes here comes the heat...
Leave the Super classes as they are. I have no issue with them.
B A N any mechanical or electronic throttle stops in TD and TS!
NA is fine so is blown compressed or NOS just not stops!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
Jenevet how about making Top Dragster and Top Sportsman N/A classes? No power adders... I'm all for that...

Hi Mark! How are you? Probably one of the best suggestions I have heard yet! And yes here comes the heat...
Leave the Super classes as they are. I have no issue with them.
B A N any mechanical or electronic throttle stops in TD and TS!
NA is fine so is blown compressed or NOS just not stops!!

Not sure about mechanical but electronic throttle stops are already illegal in T/D and T/S.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why would you limit how far someone's throttle opens? And how would you police a mechanical stop?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think the Super classes would get MORE racers if they eliminated throttle stops. But it is a moot point because I do not see NHRA doing it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
Bucky is spot on.
Nobody gives a crap about watching these classes. So what?
The only people speaking about changes are the ones that don't run these classes(or even race for that matter!), or old men that don't understand what a decimal point is.
There.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Throttle stops and indexes are not changing or going anywhere ... just more whiny bytchie moaneys racers . Lets all find a class we don't like and try to force some arbitrary changes to a class we don't even compete in ....

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can't turn the clock back. I believe it's way past time for faster indexes, but I don't have a dog in that fight. 30 to 35 years ago a 9.90 door car was FAST. Now a bracket car at a big race dialed 9.90 or 6.30 1/8 mile is one of the slowest cars there. There's stock eliminator cars running faster than 8.90. It would be interesting to see qualified fields like IHRA used to do. I enjoyed 9.90 racing back when I ran 146 to 150 mph and everyone else was running 132. My first timed throttle stop was using a delay box and relays to switch between 2 crank trigger pickups that were set 30 degrees different. I was proud of that until I saw someone using a 2 step for a stutter box. Again, you can't turn back the clock.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TD5023
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I think the Super classes would get MORE racers if they eliminated throttle stops. But it is a moot point because I do not see NHRA doing it.

I'm going to have to disagree. You make that change and I bet you lose just about everyone who currently runs the class. Then you can apply any index you want and there won't be enough takers who have cars that happen to be easily tuned for it AND are interested in participating in a pro-tree index race. The classes would be eliminated before they could pick up enough steam to be viable.

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: April 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
There is alot of grumbling in the pits this weekend on how the top dragster class is moving to a 6.10 index and the challenges that has created with no throttle stops being allowed in the class.

There is alot of talk about what 8.90 9.90 and 10.90 racing would be like if throttle stop use was eliminated in those classes.interesting to see what that would do to those classes and I know the fans would sure love it.

Well the Pro's finished earlier and Indy pretty much emptied out...spectator wise.

The "fans" obviously could care less about watching anything but the Pro's and that's old news...

No matter what you might think changing the Super classes or any class won't mean a thing to the "fans"

All the sportsman classes had tons of cars left and rounds to run and the "fans" headed for the exits....

Old News.....They come to see NITRO !!! Everything else is filler....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Separate issue than throttle stops and index changes in the .90 classes, but I believe NHRA needs to make whatever rules changes to allow runs faster than 6.00. I wonder how fast Indy would have been if they could run to their potential.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
It would just evolve into another TAD..but in bracket mode

All 5 second cars and that's what they don't want...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
If you want to shrink the participation in these classes, then eliminate the throttle stops. You will get purpose built cars that are meant for these races. What you have now, is that every bracket racer with a car that can run at least the index, can add a throttle stop and go index racing as well. So your pool of available cars is large.
Throttle stops haven't ruined anything. If you don't want to throttle stop race, don't. If you don't want to watch throttle stop racing, don't. I'm not interest in stock class. So I don't watch it. I'm ok with those who are interested in racing that class, racing it.

I really don't see what the up side is to turning upside down classes that don't need fixing to get participation. Now, if you want a 7.90 index class, I'm all for it. I would bet you would still fill super comp as well.

Now, if we want to talk about filling national events with the things that fans will watch.....Then get rid of all super classes. No stock or any of the bracket racing except TS and TD. People will watch the fast cars. Comp eliminator is different enough that some people watch that. Add in some fast small tire or outlaw stuff, since that is popular as well. Sandwich those in with a few rounds of pro racing on Saturday night, and make it a reasonable length show, and it will be well attended. Oh, and don't take advantage of people cost wise too. That helps. But of course, NHRA can't make this work money wise. So you are stuck with cars that nobody wants to watch, because they pay the bills. So just let em pay the bills will ya!

Bucky, IMO you are spot on in both of these. I only run national and divisional events. A couple things are quite evident at these events.
At divisional races, the .90 classes have the highest car counts. Do you think the bean counters want to mess that up?
At national events you don't see the stands full for pro stock or the alcohol classes. They are there to see nitro, and only nitro! And once the nitro cars are done running, the fans run to the pits to get their favorite drivers autograph.
NHRA needs someone to fill the downtime for their circus. I am perfectly happy being one of their circus animals, and they are happy to continue taking my money.
Do some simple math the next time you go to a division race. Count the .90 participants, compared to the other classes contended. Turn those numbers into dollars, and tell me if you would want that guaranteed money to disappear from your bank account.
So obviously, the .90 classes are working just fine the way they are. High participation= people like it the way it is. High participation also = money to NHRA.
So learn to live with it people!!!!! Super Street, Super Gas and Super Comp are here to stay!!!!!

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Here in NHRA Div 1...

Stockers are always the highest number of cars and Super class cars are lower numbers but not bad.

Super class car counts are higher this year from what I have seen with S/C being the highest and S/ST second.

100+ cars in Stock is normal at the more popular races......80-90 in S/C and 50-60 in S/ST and S/G....

Next to no spectators at most events unless they book in something like Jet cars and Fireworks....

Maple Grove does that along with a cheap entry for a car load of people....Usually get a few thousand spectators at the Lucas race.

That race had close to 600 cars this past Memorial Day weekend.....

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Racer 990

How about just adding a 7.50 index, halfway between TD and SC. Door cars and dragsters.

The Super Series classes are good for concessions and T-shirt sales.

No changes needed in my opinion for the 3 .90 classes. It would only decrease car counts.

Look at the numbers for Topeka double header. That is a race for sportsman racers. Too bad there are not more races like it, there are a few, but just hard to beat that event.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I liked the old "top Comp" class. A fast bracket race with door cars AND dragsters. I think people would rather see that than a lot of cookie cutter dragsters. Maybe they could triple the quota and put all the super classes together with a 7.50 minimum dial? There would be all kinds of fun strategies and maneuvering!

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 23taltered:
I liked the old "top Comp" class. A fast bracket race with door cars AND dragsters. I think people would rather see that than a lot of cookie cutter dragsters. Maybe they could triple the quota and put all the super classes together with a 7.50 minimum dial? There would be all kinds of fun strategies and maneuvering!

Nobody wants to watch that either. It's bracket racing. People don't watch it for the most part. It's not for watching.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
The only way you'll ever draw spectators to a bracket class is if you add a jump at about 400'.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
The only way you'll ever draw spectators to a bracket class is if you add a jump at about 400'.

Maybe some fire?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo