DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster Battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster Battery
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
New dragster built. 632 motor. Should I go with 2 lithium batteries or 1 lithium with
Alternator. 12 or 16 volt.

Posts: 25 | Location: The Beach | Registered: September 26, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
How your car is wired will determine a lot about your battery needs and performance.

What size battery cables and is there a ground to the engine block?

Posts: 123 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
I use one Altronics lithium battery and don't use an alternator. I will be adding an alternator as soon as I can get one of mine in a very cramped area. I've had this battery since the beginning of 2015.

16 volt. I use multiple grounds from battery to chassis. Battery is in the nose. Positive cable is #0 bought from a car radio installer.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1386 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like not worrying about anything during late rounds

2 batteries and alternator, 12 volt

I also wouldn’t go lithium though.

I Would go with 2 XSpower D3400, a house of Payne alternator, and a house of Payne ultimate big dawg 139 tooth starter.

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Our setup is .....1 16 volt XS Power
Titan Lithium battery in nose and a small alternator ...and forget about it ..

Posts: 787 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One of my cars is 16 volt and one is 12 volt. The 12 volt system has never let me down. The 16 volt has several times. I run mechanical injection and when it is right car starts quickly as soon as fuel pump is primed. But there is not much margin of error with 16 volt. On that car there was no way to put an alternator on it and twice car would not start in later rounds even charging between rounds. Now I have a different motor combination that allows me to run an alternator and 2 - 16 volt batteries so that should not happen again.

I highly recommend running a good alternator on any racecar. I would not run a Lithium battery unless you have no other choice due to weight.

Of all the different combinations I have ran the most dependable is the 12 volt system with an alternator and I like to run an AGM for safety as they will not leak acid as easy in a crash.

Always keep a small trickle charger on battery between races.

The original post here asks about Lithium 12 volt or 16 volt, one or two and with or with out alternator. If you have already decided to go with Lithium then I would run TWO of 12 volt WITH AN ALTERNATOR.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chillin:
New dragster built. 632 motor. Should I go with 2 lithium batteries or 1 lithium with
Alternator. 12 or 16 volt.

16 v lithium gets my volt... Ive never had one fail when it wasnt my fault...im not a alternator fan but thats just me

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
If you want the best... https://www.feather-litebatter...uct-page/fl-16v-90ah
632 in my Dragster and I've got a Feather-Lite 1690 and it's amazing! And it's only 8.8lbs!!!
It's probably the most expensive one out there too but it's worth every penny.

Posts: 13 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
One Braille 16 volt lithium and 139 Meziere flex and HOP ULTIMATE BIG DAWG starter and no alternator on mine. runs sub 10,s on starter spinning. be sure if you use a alternator with lithium that the charge voltage is not more than the battery is designed for or it can be damaged.

Posts: 1255 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have never had any issues with one Go Lithium and an alternator.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1018 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Braille 16v lithium with HOP alternator. I was double entered in 90 degree heat this weekend with no issues, running engine and trans fan. They were hot lapping the hell out of us also. My 2 friends and myself all have same setup and they were flawless.

Posts: 637 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post