New
Find
Notify
Tools

16v battery
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am planning to change from 12v setup with alternators, to 16v setup for dragster and doorcar both will be ran with alternators. I've never ran the 16v setups, so I will need batteries and chargers. What brand seems to be most reliable?.. I've looked into Rock, Turbo Start, and XS power...any positive and negative comments would be greatly appreciated...thx

Posts: 24 | Location: Peterman, AL | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRAMER:
I am planning to change from 12v setup with alternators, to 16v setup for dragster and doorcar both will be ran with alternators. I've never ran the 16v setups, so I will need batteries and chargers. What brand seems to be most reliable?.. I've looked into Rock, Turbo Start, and XS power...any positive and negative comments would be greatly appreciated...thx

I've used XS 16v batteries (both D and S1600) for 8-9 years with their charger. I currently use a D1600 with mini alternator. I have heard people say the Moroso/Rock charger is better than the XS but I've never used it. I have heard quite a few stories of the Rock batteries not lasting very long.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have plans to replace the XS D-1600 battery this winter it would be the ninth season on my battery. I keep an Autometer 16 volt maintainer on it all the time.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've just done the same. After much research I've gone with XS Power D1600 batteries. My current battery charger(s) charge both 12 and 16v and are the best, made and sold by Interacter as well under the brand names Moroso and Rock. Ati also sells the Rock charger.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Same here, dual XS D-1600's. We went with the XS charger that does both 12 and 16 volts. Two years in the Firebird with zero troubles. We have alternators so so need to really charge them much.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I've just done the same. After much research I've gone with XS Power D1600 batteries. My current battery charger(s) charge both 12 and 16v and are the best, made and sold by Interacter as well under the brand names Moroso and Rock. Ati also sells the Rock charger.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ran XS stuff for years in the Cuda and never an issue. Even left the car on once between out of town races for 6 weeks. It was dead as could be but took a charge and kept on trucking.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Ran XS stuff for years in the Cuda and never an issue. Even left the car on once between out of town races for 6 weeks. It was dead as could be but took a charge and kept on trucking.

I run the XS D1600 and their charger, and have been for 4 or 5 years on the same battery no problem. I also left mine on and ran it down to nothing once, put it on the charger and it charged back up and has been fine ever since.. Great products.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I just put one XS 1600 battery in my Cobalt last year and love it. I don't have an alternator and I do use the XS smart charger. I only race the Cobalt in quick stuff, so not much round robin going on, but I feel like it would do it with no problem. I will switch the Camaro over to 16v when those batteries need replacing.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike,keep an eye on the charger.2yrs. ago,I bought the XS battery and Smartcharger and it allmost burned my car,trailer,and house down.Charger stuck wide open and blew the battery up to twice it's size!

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will need the ultra mini style alternators on both rides...if I remember they are 55a..I see some manufacturers offer a upgrade to a 70a... what brand alternators is everyone running?..I read that a alternator to big will possibly overcharge and damage battery overtime...I have always ran optima red top with east coast ultra mini on my rides.

Posts: 24 | Location: Peterman, AL | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dtye:
Mike,keep an eye on the charger.2yrs. ago,I bought the XS battery and Smartcharger and it allmost burned my car,trailer,and house down.Charger stuck wide open and blew the battery up to twice it's size!

I had the same issue, I bought the little XS smart charger maintainer for a spare battery I kept in the trailer, I went to loan out the battery at the track one day and found it super hot and it pushed out on all 4 sides. This was a perfectly good battery I had just cycled out of the car to keep as a spare
I have had the Rock/Moroso charger that Ed posted above for 8 years and never had any issues ever with it. It stays plugged into my car 24/7 and is the only one to buy IMO

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have the East Coast 55amp,works perfect with my 1 Lifeline 16v. battery and Autometer BEX-5000 charger. Wink

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the alternators on both my cars are ECAE Super Mini 120 amp.

That said, If your only desire is consistent voltage going down track, the ultra mini alternator will maintain voltage but if you want to charge your battery going down track while providing consistent voltage, then the ultra mini is useless especially on a race car running electric fuel pump and on gas.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Rock 16v Battery and Rock 16v charger for 20 years. I only change the batteries every 5 years out of guilt. They sell direct out of North Carolina and are great people to deal with. You won’t be disappointed.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:

After around 15 years of running 16v systems the best advice I can give is make sure you buy a battery charger that is 12v or 16v capable. Personally I ran Turbo Start batteries and charger with House of Payne alternator.
If anyone close to me needs, I have a Turbo Start battery bought earlier this year and a charger for sale, 300 for both. (Retirement sale)

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read that a alternator to big will possibly overcharge and damage battery overtime..

Not sure where you heard that from but it's entirely false. An alternator, whether its a one wire or standard, will only output what the system calls for. Now, if the regulator fails and "sticks" at full field, then it could be an issue. An alternator does not output at full output on amperage or voltage unless the system demands it. There are some that have a preset voltage that will stay at that regardless, but the amperage output will still vary according to load.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the 12v Odyssey battery chargers 12 or 20 amp model? I'm considering these.

Posts: 2466 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’ve used one for the past 3 years along with their batteries.

Posts: 154 | Location: Carthage,TN | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
I read that a alternator to big will possibly overcharge and damage battery overtime..

Not sure where you heard that from but it's entirely false. An alternator, whether its a one wire or standard, will only output what the system calls for. Now, if the regulator fails and "sticks" at full field, then it could be an issue. An alternator does not output at full output on amperage or voltage unless the system demands it. There are some that have a preset voltage that will stay at that regardless, but the amperage output will still vary according to load.

Exactly. Supply and demand Always make it a periodic practice to check max output. Not to exceed on average 15.8 volts on a 12 volt system. Indicators are a battery that looks ever so lightly swelled on the sides. Indicate an over charge rate.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post