New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axle leak
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Fab 9 axles are leaking. One is bad enough to soak the wheel. Orings don’t feel terrible but are potentially 20 years old. Is there anything I can do besides just trying to replace the orings? It doesn’t look like it’s coming through the bearings but if it is, just replace bearings?

Posts: 949 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve always put a little silicon around outer bearing

Posts: 1275 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check that your vent is not plugged.

Why Do We Do This!

Posts: 15 | Location: United States | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Consider trying HYLOMAR BLUE . Hylomar is non-setting jointing compound with easy disassembly and clean up.

Posts: 2645 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tech:
Check that your vent is not plugged.

Can’t be plugged if it doesn’t have one!

I’ve had the car for awhile but only ran it a couple times this year and last fall. Rearend was alway wet, assuming this is why. It’s a fab 9 in an RJ car. Only thing I can figure is it used to have a vented fill cap and somebody changed it to a non-vented cap.

Posts: 949 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
must be vented

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1460 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
vent and very lite coat of sealer on bearing. Had one do same and sealer worked great.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4466 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
X2 on the vent, if plugged clear it, if no vent add one. RTV around bearing OD as well.

Posts: 429 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Don't over fill the unit.
None of the axle / bearing seals are designed to hold fluid submerged.
You just need enough lube to give each side a splash as you've turned a corner.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1816 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As was advised by others here, I put 2 quarts of fluid in my 9” diff and call it good even though its below the overflow fill plug setting.

Posts: 2645 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
2 quarts is not enough in mine ,at 2 its barley touching the ring gear.i run four with no issues

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1460 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post