DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mid season maintenance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mid season maintenance
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Just completed an R&R on the dragster's rear. Had Wayne at Indy Gear go through the MW 3rd member while the housing was repowdered coated. I also replaced the axle bearings and flushed the brake system, refilling with DOT5 fluid as always.

Had planned to replace all the heims and hardware but the parts didn't show up in time, will now do in the off season.

Thanks to Pete "the wrench" for lending a hand wrestling the housing with me late Friday night.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Looky at those EMPTIES on the cookie cutter!! Laughing Hard

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1799 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wayne is a good guy and knows his stuff

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1546 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
great customer service too. Committed to my return date and didn't disappoint.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Nice and Shiny
Ed Wondering about the packed grease on the wheel bearing. Does your rear housing oil level not reach the outer bearings?

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12175 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul, not really and I do have the seal on the outboard side of the bearings.

I like nice and shiny. Big Grin

May redo the entire car in the offseason if I don't sell it first though I had it sold 2 months ago and backed out. WhatEver

DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
great customer service too. Committed to my return date and didn't disappoint.

What does he recommend as an interval on this service? I waited too long on mine and broke a tooth off the pinion gear a couple of weeks ago and don't want to make that mistake again

Posts: 20 | Location: Fredonia | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I didn't ask, there's too many variables to make a recommendation starting with car, power and who's 3rd member. My R&P had over 600 passes. I have never broken the R&P in my dragster but have in my Firebird with over 700 passes.

Many bracket racers don't have a maintenance program they just run their shyt until it breaks. I have a program and parts gets rebuilt, replaced at set intervals and even then parts can fail.

I highly recommend Wayne Henderson aka Indy Gear.

Did you get your engine running clean on alky or switched to gas?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I didn't ask, there's too many variables to make a recommendation starting with car, power and who's 3rd member. My R&P had over 600 passes. I have never broken the R&P in my dragster but have in my Firebird with over 700 passes.

Many bracket racers don't have a maintenance program they just run their shyt until it breaks. I have a program and parts gets rebuilt, replaced at set intervals and even then parts can fail.

I highly recommend Wayne Henderson aka Indy Gear.

Did you get your engine running clean on alky or switched to gas?

I agree on the variable part, these had north of 600 runs and should have been replaced, thankfully nothing else got hurt. I switched it to gas and have not had any issues since. It has the wrong cam in it for alky, not enough exhaust duration is what I've found out, but its really good on gas so I'm sticking with it for now.

Posts: 20 | Location: Fredonia | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It will be quicker and faster in gas.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So did it get new gears also

Posts: 415 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
And how is the new car coming along from Elite

Posts: 415 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes

I haven’t ordered a new car from Elite

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed is that a 9.5 inch gear

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
9”

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
1 - why would you not go with a 9.5" gear if you replaced it?

2 - did you use a lubelocker gasket? If not you will thank me next time Wink

Posts: 2150 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

9.5" are hard to find.... but I run them

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1546 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The 9” gear and Fel Pro gasket have served me well in both cars so no reason to change.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

Lubelocker gasket for the win!

Have you ever re-used a Lubelocker gasket? I always use a new one, but they look great when I've removed in the past.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodney Pryor,

Posts: 126 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Never had a leak using Fel Pro or Cometic’s steel reinforced gasket with a smear of the Right Stuff.