Bracket Talk
67 Camaro Transmission Swap Turbo 400 to Powerglide

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/1037092186

June 23, 2018, 07:44 PM
SmokinChicken
67 Camaro Transmission Swap Turbo 400 to Powerglide
Thinking about swapping out my turbo 400 to a powerglide. I am sure I will have to change the drive shaft and crossmember. Anyone here did this before and have any tips. Or where I can get a crossmember from.
June 23, 2018, 09:12 PM
HS professor
Glide/th350/4 spd crossmembers are pretty easy to come by as they are used in almost every 68-74 Nova and 67-69 Camaro ever built. Original Th400 cars make up a very small percentage........

Easy swap
June 24, 2018, 11:12 AM
Trans Lady
Powerglide is shorter than the th400, so you need to move the crossmember up and a longer driveshaft.
June 24, 2018, 12:32 PM
Tom396
If you want a shiny brand new one:

crossmember

But they are pretty common. I have one in my rafters. No, it isn't for sale. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
June 24, 2018, 07:39 PM
McK_Racing
I've done that exact swap. Crossmember, driveshaft, and yoke need to be changed. I used a powerglide with a turbo input shaft, otherwise you'd need a new converter too. You may need a new shifter (or gate), not all are compatible with both.

The stock-style T350/glide crossmember can be a pain to install, it's made to fit in place, but the bumps hit the floor when getting it in there, and it usually takes a BFH. Years ago I modified mine by cutting it flat and welding in filler plates, but now days aftermarket crossmembers with more clearance are available from places like Chassisworks if you don't care about originality.