DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Shop and Home security systems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop and Home security systems
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
I am building a new house and shop should be complete and moved in 60 days. The shop portion will be 60' x 100" with a 16' x 100' covered car port. The location of my house is pretty nice it is up on a hill with a good view of the country. I do not think after house is built you will be able to see much if any of my house from the road with out coming up my driveway.

I would like to know what recommendations you have for security systems. Maybe what to look out for.

What I am thinking is a 12 camera system with 4 TB recording. Some Motion detectors and a siren. I want it all hard wired so I do not have to worry about batteries that fail.

One potential problem is my driveway is 700' long. The drive goes 300' and then turns left for the final 400' to the house. I would like to put a monitor at the corner there to record any vehicles or people who come and go. I do not want to hard wire almost 800' and I do not like battery power for those. Also like for the system to let me know if anyone pulls into my driveway. So this may require something different than standard security system. Not sure if I want or need to have it monitored but would like to have that capability.

Trying to design this system before I finish out the building so it is easier to run the wiring. I appreciate any help and ideas but for my final decision for security reasons I will not be posting exactly what I decide to do.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
My neighbor’s house is 800 to 1000 ft off the highway and he has cameras but I’m 99% sure he’s hard wired to the front gate. It’s a one time expense so if you can swing it, do it. Might even suggest running some extra wire for additional power there as well.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Might want to look at Lorex system.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a vivint system and I like it. There are several options out there. I have cameras with zoom capabilities and cameras with wide angle lenses

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I just started looking at solar powered camera's. I would think that would be the way to go over a hard wired one that depends on having power especially if the power goes down like it did here for a week..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I talked to Vivint and they said they do not have more than 7 camera systems and that I could not install it myself. He said it would be about $4,000 for a 7 camera system and also nothing they could do about monitoring the driveway since it is too far. There were some other things to the more he talked the more I knew that system was not for me.

The lorex system seems interesting and similar to one they had at Costco. Which would work really well for video but not sure about other things needed.

From what I can tell so far the wireless type are lower resolution and also require a different receiver than the hard wired type but it can be done. Plus that fact of batteries which Solar charging can help on that.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Curly do you have a dog? Helps a lot.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do plan on getting a Doberman after I get in there. Had one for many years and after I lost last one in 1987 have not got another due to work and space. Now I will have a good place for them and time to work with them.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The Lorex system looks very nice and that along with some other things may be the way to go. Still doing research and Thank you for the suggestions.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
I just started looking at solar powered camera's. I would think that would be the way to go over a hard wired one that depends on having power especially if the power goes down like it did here for a week..

Dave

I'm gonna ask a dumb question. But there isn't any recording on the camera itself is there. Even if the camera is up and running, if the power is off to the receiver, you are kind of out of luck right?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
That is not a dumb question at all. I am also thinking of adding some game cameras as stand alone back up.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I added a hard wired security system to my shop in about 2004 and still using it today. I added an 8 camera hard wired system to my property 4-5 years ago and its really nice to be able to rewind and look at something. I also have the app on my phone so I can see any camera anytime. My system is Avycon.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have two Dobermans and they are a pretty effective security systemBig Grin I also have a series of Nest cameras around the place. They work well but do require a good wifi system to operate. Helped the police catch a porch pirate we had when on vacation not long ago.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
On most IP based system, max cable length is 328Ft.

This is the reason why.
It must be 100m (328ft) or less in length to be certified. It is possible a longer cable will work, but it is not guaranteed. Shorter Cat 5 cables may also not work if there is a lot of Electromagnetic interference (EMI). Signal attenuation appears to be the limiting factor, too much signal loss and you can't guarantee 100 megabits per second.

The last install i did, (8 Pack) was at sons house. Did take some time with the wire fish. Was a Swann system. Only had 1 bad camera in 5 years. His new house he went wireless. He did the install.. We were last week talking about battery life. Wait and see... I was going to build a NAS box with 4 drives for storage and raid it up. A lot of the receivers come with an additional port whether it's USB to add an additional external drive. Just some pointers.

His Sargent has the 8 also. Had to replace the receiver after 5.5 years. Logic board problem.

But still working well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

I'm gonna ask a dumb question. But there isn't any recording on the camera itself is there. Even if the camera is up and running, if the power is off to the receiver, you are kind of out of luck right?

You have a point.. Although there is still 2 things going for you.
First you could still monitor in real time. ( I haven't checked it out yet). I think Joe (SR4440) had power go down while we were at the Bracket Finals last year and his system alerted him that power was out. He knew before his electric company sent him a message..
Second. A back up battery UPS system could be used to power the receiver. That is what Joe used. He was only concerned it would go dead. But that could be cured with a solar panel to charge the battery.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Thank you Guys for some very good information.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Curly do you have a dog? Helps a lot.

^^^Love both my (2) dogs! Huge deterrence.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4507 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
If you have windows, find a fabrication shop to make a steel bar grid that hinges from the top and has a hasp at the bottom. Install them on the inside.
A camera security system is nice to capture who broke in, but making it very hard to get it has more value.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One thing my neighbor is about 200 yards away on another hill and has a good clean shot and a back hoe.
In addition to my security systems I will put up motion activated lights.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Making a little progress on the shop. Should be complete by July 1. Here is a sneak peek.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193282605@N08/?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"