DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Jinxed or racing gods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jinxed or racing gods
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Car is either jinxed or racing gods trying like hell to tell me something else.

I know I have had endless stupid problems. Most think it is me and hell maybe. I have built 20-plus race cars and never had nearly this many stupid thing happen with all total. Hecked stripped the funny car to bare chassis and reassembled in pits and had Brett Kepner tell everyone the next day after qualifying 2nd,

Would list all ut be like writing dang book? The last issue is the solenoid for Transbrake. Had an issue of the brakes kicking in and out. Found cut oring in reverse piston. Figured that was it. Reassembled transmission and decided to chack solenoid and valve movement as many suggested. Hooked up wiring to measure stroke and depth. In 15 to 30 seconds and figure more 15 side it was smoking. Called FTI. Seems they do not like 16v although the site shows it ok up to 20v. Would have $185 nicer to have known before. Now we have to find a relay and wire in so as to limit voltage to solenoid or maybe to a dealy box which should have same effect.

Going to drink me to driving.Just probably not this dang car.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4195 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Either way, I'm tired of this crap. On dang piece after another and mostly new stuff. Few items on me but lot more just crappy luck?

Posts: 4195 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chris I don’t want to offend I’ve been raced in the same car and same engine combo transmission combo and I do not change anything to make it go faster. It’s consistent as any $100,000 car at the track. But you must remember it’s only a 10.40 car at 131 miles an hour.I see all my friends, much faster than me they spend big money fixing it. I’ve saved so much I’ve got an extra motor same combo just sitting waiting to wear out the one I have that’s been in the car for five years. It has been just be a leak down with all the cylinders lookin with good numbers that it had when it was new except one cylinder down 5%. I spend most my time doing extensive pre-maintenance and that’s why this car so damn good, all the car needs is a driver.LOL

The car has no Grid or any other type of feedback computers. I know if anything goes wrong what it is since the initial build .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J178RED,

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Shyt retype again. Damn computers

Have not missed any run time because of change.

Could have run the night I backed car out and zero brakes. They did seem better few minutes later. Not best idea.

Probably could have run w/o vacuum pump the night drive broke after two days of testing anf tuning system on stand. Track guy probably lissed because of oil leaks.

Now running with battery that died at track after working great day before and even earlier that same day. Now happening.

Running on weekends that mother nature said nope. Running same weekend as A/Fuel car after committing to be clutch and tuner guy. Not my style.

Could have foot braked it I guess when TB was jumping and jerking. Yes was new updated part that went south..

Now weekend sgtand flipped when trying to setup to fire up. Ended up crunching sidce panle.I could have ran,just too damn mad at that point.

Small list of things that just happened at the wrong time.

Now should I have changed a butt load of stuff w/o having run what I had? Probably not.. IMO if think can be better and not cause you delay for running why not change?

Half of the reason for the car is to have something to work on. Now fixing stupid crap like solenoid that burns up because of what ever reason.Nope not that fun.

Again have not delayed running for changes or because spent money to change. Yes a lot has been spent on change but all was just extra kmoney on hand at the time.

It is just ironic that at every attempt to get out something stupid happens. Some might be on me but not a lot of it. When new stuff breaks got to question WTH.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Kind of wish I could do a car that fast not important. For me that not possible. Mostly me I guess. iF can not be fast for what I have in car. I rather just cut up with Porta Band and sell the parts,fix up Harley with a new blower and go raise hell. Again that just me.

Nothing wrong with just happy racing. We all have different goals and needs for fun.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I run a BTE solenoid and have had zero issues with it....I run 16v

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1474 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
that is fine. Not saying it is fti issue. they buy from a supplier and have redesigned a new solenoid to meet their requirements. Must be the reason for it

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris! How are ya??
Yeah nothing wrong with 16 volts. They don’t care however some systems want a diode that protects spike voltage from the stored volts in the brake coils.
Use a relay ,good button and move on. You’re just being tested! That’s how I look At everything I do racing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4511 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
test sure is log lasting. turning into stress test. One or two thing test half dozen and all either before run at track or while getting ready nto go if mother nature not joining in.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who bought a ready to run car. Yeah right! He has had mortal hell with this thing. I would tell you all the problems but it would take me half the night.

Sometimes you’re just bit or jinxed or whatever. You can either decide to push through or disclose everything and sell it. Unless you want to be the guy that sells the “ready to run” car when you know damn good and well it isn’t. Your choice.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5315 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Everyone has SOME problems. Whether they can get all sorted out before they go to the track is often up to the person.
Now those of us who race a more unusual combination, are prone to more issues as a rule. Ya just gotta get through the combo stuff and the regular stuff and THEN figure out what parts of the combo aren't reliable, and attack those. I'm in a correction process right now for reliability. It's part of the gig when you do something out of the ordinary.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
test sure is log lasting. turning into stress test. One or two thing test half dozen and all either before run at track or while getting ready nto go if mother nature not joining in.

It never ends , it’s always something and I just work through it. You already know what effort takes running Alky classes. It’s no different. In Comp I’ve never worked so hard in my life but it was also rewarding.. it’s no different in Stock or Top Sportsman. Just stay after it. You will be fine and better for it.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4511 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post