Find
Notify
Tools

Wheelie or not
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted
On a typical bracket door car do you prefer the car to leave like a slot car or wheels in the air? Mine just pulls the struts to the limit and goes. Thanks

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I would think no wheelie would be more consistent.....But I've always heard if you're going up, you're not going forward. So I try to keep wheelies to a minimum

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4476 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Wheels UP….S-DIMES anyway….

Posts: 1264 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As long as a car is just not sitting still and jerking the wheels straight up out of the beams, it should be OK.

If the car is moving forward while it is pulling the struts to the limit as you describe, you are getting good weight transfer which is the goal.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wheelie

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wheelie

Seconded. Chicks love door cars and wheelies.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 218 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Cars will always be faster with less wheelies. My T/S car doesn't like hanging the front end so i have it tuned to where it yanks the front end 1-2 inches and will print 1.09 60FT tickets all day long.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, your Firebird is a bad to the bone hot rod. And that is a good thing.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1838 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry, I like it too and I'll race it a few more times this season.

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cars will always be faster with less wheelies.

not true, there isn't a super stocker or stocker in the world that would agree with you

Posts: 2111 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
DragRaceResults...KNOWS!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine just pulls the struts to the limit and goes.

My car leaves exactly like that. 1.40 / 6.20. If I wanted to do wheelies I’d leave in first gear.

Posts: 2485 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
mid to high 1.20s with our typical wheelie set up depending on weather, which is adjusted based on DA. Mid 1.30s letting if fly, breaking the beam with the back tires.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Wheelies are fun but I prefer my car leave with the front tires 1-2" off the ground.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 744 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Mine just pulls the struts to the limit and goes.

My car leaves exactly like that. 1.40 / 6.20. If I wanted to do wheelies I’d leave in first gear.

Lame.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 218 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Rod:

Lame.

[/QUOTE]

Not Lame! Show me your car on the back of a 10+ year all door car event T-Shirt….

Posts: 2485 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
My Camaro is setup to wheelie around 4”. With a lot of testing I found this is perfect to repeat my 60’ times which really works out down the track. Consistency is what it’s all about no matter how fast or slow.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Rod:

Lame.

Not Lame! Show me your car on the back of a 10+ year all door car event T-Shirt….

[/QUOTE]

Anyone would be very hard pressed to find a more well thought out race car and drag racer than mark and his equipment. Turns on a BUNCH of win lights every year.

I have seen below average racers get lucky and go deep in rounds and even win an event. I have never seen one consistently turn on win lights throughout the year. I think someone should reconsider their definition of lame.

Oh, and he actually acts mature and tactful online. Try to follow suit.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not arguing with anyone but my car will ET quicker and more consistent as a bracket car with the wheels down but have quicker .400 pro tree reaction times (Super Gas/Super Comp) by pulling the wheels up.

I also realize every car can be different. My son's T/S runs the same almost no matter what you do, wheels up or down. He added 20 pounds to the back of his car then shifted it to the front, it ran the exact same 60 foot times and 330 times, no difference.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3090 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post