DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    32' bumper pull vs 48' goose
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

32' bumper pull vs 48' goose
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
How much longer would my overall length be with a 48' goose compared to my 32' bumper pull with 5' tongue? How would they compare in maneuverability?
Thanks.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not know about overall length difference but I can tell you the gooseneck is not effected by wind nearly as much as a tag trailer. Rides smoother and less stressful than a tag.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
About 8ft or so in total, you can cut it alot shorter if needed in tight places just make sure you have an 8ft bed or the offset hitch on the trailer. And the towing down the road with a GN is Sooo much better.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
The 48' GN is 48' from hitch to tail. That would be easy to compare with your current setup. If you don't already have a GN hitch just measure from the center of your trucks rear axel to 48'.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
It is easier to make a tight corner with my tag trailer than my gooseneck. With my gooseneck I have to be careful not to drive off the culvert coming out of my property. I am going to make my drive and gate wider someday. Tag is easier to get in and out of some gas stations. A tag trailer tracks trailer tires closer to where rear tires on your truck went. The gooseneck does not at low speed. Thing is the trailer on the highway does not move around, wiggle or anything. It is heavy but other than that you forget it is there. Wind is never a problem or the grooved roads. No problem. Even rides better over rough brides and bumps. What you loose on on low speed tight corners you gain and more on highway.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm debating going from a 37' motorhome with 32' tag trailer to a 48' LQ trailer with a slide.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Thanks for the responses. I'm debating going from a 37' motorhome with 32' tag trailer to a 48' LQ trailer with a slide.

In the end there would not be much different in it. If your motorhome pulls the tag trailer okay and has enough power to pull trailer I would stick with that set up. If you did not already have it then I would say get the LQ trailer even though your motorhome is probably more comfortable for living in.

For me I am converting a 44 foot trailer to a very basic LQ trailer. It will have a refrigerator, microwave, couch and shower. Honey bucket for emergency's. But for my trailer I am trying to keep as much floor space as possible in shop portion and keep air conditioned portion small so I can stay plenty cool in Texas heat.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll bet that is a nice trailer to have a LQ slide. I have to say we recently sold our DP. It was an older one. But taking care of the Motorhome plus the trailer was a pain. Downsizing to a LQ sounded good, plus we have two dragsters and a golf cart, and the 28' wasn't gonna work for that. We fell into the 44' locally for a good price and it doesn't have an LQ. We have thought about adding a bathroom.
Al I can say is that the towing experience is just much more relaxing with the truck/goose. And it's said that my 3/4 ton is way undersized for this trailer. But it handles it very well....even if really underpowered.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 37 foot long motorhome and a 32 foot trailer. The 32 foot trailer should be easier to sell when you are done racing. That length should be easy to park, back up and negotiate turns. I highly recommend two turret mounted 50's to fend off the idiots who feel compelled to mess with you while towing.

The overall length when adding the 6 foot "A" frame puts you at 75 feet long. You might check Indiana's length limit so you don't run into a problem with the an eager beaver Highway Patrol Cop.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been using the motorhome / trailer setup for about 3 years now. It's a 1999 Monaco Windsor with 8.3 Cummins. Just thinking I could get rid of motorhome maintenance and repairs, plates and insurance. It handles the trailer well but the truck is just way nicer to drive.
Trailer with slide is pretty roomy actually.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I personally wouldn’t make that choice, but at the end of the day the decision is yours

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
We will be going to a LQ trailer setup.
I think it's the practical answer for racing, vs. the MH / trailer setup. We've had motorhomes, I hate them, and really don't care to do a bunch of multiple day events.

That eliminates a single use chassis to maintain, and even if you want to go camping / touring, you have a place to bring a car or toys along, and you have a truck to use as needed.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1672 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My trailer and DP are 73ft over all. Don't know how Mama is going to get up out of the seat and go pee riding in a pickup. We also have a life other than racing and use the DP lots for just travel. I have the same Monaco as you with350 hp. That goose neck farm trailer I used to have ran over something every time I used it, I hated that thing.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I like the Dually/LQ option, but we do camp 6-7 times a year with family, so the motorhome option makes slightly more sense. We've taken the MH tailgating, local events, etc. Never have to worry about lodging, with or without the race car.

Ultimately, I couldn't find a nice dually for what I paid for my motorhome, so I went the MH route. I'm glad I did, it's pretty luxurious once you get there and get set up. Plenty of room during rain delays with a full bathroom.
I, however, am a little different, as I don't do "payments" on anything racing related, so the total price comes into play for me. I don't want to use a dually for daily driving, so either way one of them is going to sit.

Also, the tracks I race at are easily accessible, so as far as maneuverability is concerned, either option would work. I do however race multiple day events with the wife, so that does change things, since we enjoy cooking, and don't really feel the need to leave or even like to leave to eat a fancy dinner, but people are vastly different in this aspect, but the "full" kitchen is nice. I'm not racing a multiple day event only eating sandwiches...
Should I need to get something in town, I can use my street legal Honda Grom pit bike to get something.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info and opinions. I farm so I've got the truck that will do the job. I've skipped races because I didn't feel like driving the motorhome 4 hours. Only the wife and I go and she only goes maybe 1/4 of the time. I've gotten to where I go mostly to multi day races.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Yellow Ticket, I to will not buy anything for my race car operation that I do not pay cash for.
Really at this point in my life I pay cash for everything and refuse to finance anything.
But for a hobby that the future looks a little rough if not flat out dying I do not put any more money into it than I can afford to throw away. Right or wrong that s my philosophy.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all for the info and opinions. I farm so I've got the truck that will do the job. I've skipped races because I didn't feel like driving the motorhome 4 hours. Only the wife and I go and she only goes maybe 1/4 of the time. I've gotten to where I go mostly to multi day races.

I am moving toward living type on my trailer simply because I hate driving how at 4:00 in the morning or later. Now after races I will be able to load up, get a shower and go to sleep in comfort and then drive home in the morning rested.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Living quarters with a slide has a ton less room in it than a motorhome. If you race alone it is ok but more than 2 people nd it is woefully short on room. The gooseneck handles better down the highway but can be problematic making some turns and frame and waste tank clearances can come into play like when crossing a raised road or railway. Pick your poison both have downfalls.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the concept of the open living quarters. No wall. If you leave the golf cart out you pick up 8' of living space where an air matress or fold down can go. In most weather leaving the cars out isn't even a huge deal. Drop a roll down curtain so you don't have to ac the entire trailer and you have room for the important stuff you need a lq for.....sleeping, getting out of the elements, cooking and a bathroom.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had thought about the open style LQ trailer but decided the fumes and noise during the day wouldn't be ideal for the wife.

If I buy a LQ trailer I will hang on to the motorhome/tag combo until I try the LQ and decide which I want to hang on to.