DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Does anyone use a ramp truck anymore?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use a ramp truck anymore?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Where did they all go? Is it reasonable to have a back half car on the truck then still pull a large bumper pull trailer if you arrange the cargo properly, to compensate for tongue weight?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I stil think they're cool, to see. Goes back to the 70's/80's, seeing race cars on ramp trucks. I dont think there's much of a market for the ramp bodies anymore, unfortunately. The enclosed trailer market killed that.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Where did they all go?

To the junkyard. They stopped building them
Because there hasn’t been a market for them for 30 years

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hodges is still cranking them out, though not in the same volume they used to. Very much a niche market.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
Wastebook has a page called Ramp trucks new and old. Always someone showing off a new one,and just as many old ones,from usable to something to laugh at.

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I built this for a friend 20 years ago. He still uses it.

quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

AFTER

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3340 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave that is bad azz!

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4627 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fivecentcharlie:
Hodges is still cranking them out, though not in the same volume they used to. Very much a niche market.

my customer had one done by them a few years ago. He ended up having a local guy fix it. Horrible finish work and it was big $$$$

Posts: 1627 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Dave that is bad azz!

Thanks.

All I did was frame and skin it. One piece aluminum roof.
Kenny is a carpenter so he finished it with vinyl covered luan, and he wired it for 120/12 volt. I has a generator in one of the boxes on the side.

I did his hauler and he built the wife a sunroom on the back of the house.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3340 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Dave! Ididnt know you built that truck! It’s always been a great piece and made me want one.

But the enclosed trailer is such a better deal these days.

Posts: 406 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2365 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Ramp trucks are cool as hell. Wish I had one.

Mike

Posts: 1591 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
Dave! Ididnt know you built that truck! It’s always been a great piece and made me want one.

But the enclosed trailer is such a better deal these days.

Big Grin

Thanks Lane..

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

Always loved these..

Dave

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'd love.one because outside of towing a trailer I have very little use for a pickup. I didn't enjoy dailying my 2500 diesel the 5 miles to work, and it's hard to have $60gs tied up in just a weekend vehicle like that.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post