DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    GM closing American plants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM closing American plants
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
It looks as if GM is closing 4 or 5 plants located in America and moving them to Mexico and overseas. It also looks like they are cutting 15% of their employee base.

This is a spit in the face of the tax payers as GM would not even be in business at all if tax payers dollars had not bailed out the company.

How are over seas car companies open up plants inside the United States while GM is closing up shops and moving them over seas?

Posts: 803 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I might be wrong,but I think GM is in for a rough couple of years going forward.
One of their most profitable vehicles is the Silverado Pickup Truck.
I saw an article today that said the 2019 Silverado gets less MPG than the 2018.
I saw some pictures online of the 2020 Silverado,and I would be surprised if anybody bought one of those.
History has a way of repeating.I would expect another bailout by 2028 or earlier.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
GM seems to be going down hill for sure. I have a fleet of Chevy 2500 single cab utility trucks. I tried to order e few more, and was told Chevy is not offering a single cab 2500 in 2019. So... I had to order Fords. Not sure what they are thinking....

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1382 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
I might be wrong,but I think GM is in for a I saw some pictures online of the 2020 Silverado,and I would be surprised if anybody bought one of those.

Agree on that. That front end is horrific!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3167 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Yeager:
GM seems to be going down hill for sure. I have a fleet of Chevy 2500 single cab utility trucks. I tried to order e few more, and was told Chevy is not offering a single cab 2500 in 2019. So... I had to order Fords. Not sure what they are thinking....

You know that explains my experience. We have a consulting company that arranges for our leases at work. I asked for them to put together a lease for a 3/4 ton truck with a v plow and a brine sprayer. No offering came back for GM's. Must be because of the cab or could be. Then, they came back with a much longer lead time for the Ford than originally quoted. I suspect their demand has grown. So much for having the plow truck for this winter!

It is disappointing that they are discontinuing cars that we actually drive, and discontinuing jobs that our country needs. But they wouldn't do us any good if they completely folded either. Interesting for sure that while all others are moving in, they are moving out. I suspect the problems are deep and wide. This is the first that I have actually believed that GM could go away completely. GM buyers would prefer to buy American. So I doubt that this will go completely unnoticed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6418 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
I might be wrong,but I think GM is in for a I saw some pictures online of the 2020 Silverado,and I would be surprised if anybody bought one of those.

Agree on that. That front end is horrific!

They must have had to try to make it that unattractive really.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6418 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The news last month, closing single shift factories and retooling. No mention of moving plants. The Volt and some other sedans go away in favor of trucks and SUV. Gearing up EV plants. Certainly hope no out of soil MFG.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4525 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 803 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They must have had to try to make it that unattractive really.

I haven't bothered to look at new GM trucks simply because I have no need, it doesn't impact me. But I think back to the Ford Thunderbird. If there was ever a "car by committee" that had to be it. It stands to reason American corporations reflect the craziness of America in general. It was a gal that was in charge of the T-bird project, what a wasted opportunity that was. With things like political correctness, affirmative action, etc. as the guide post for today's young adults they simply can't help themselves. And we all know the Ivy league colleges have been over run with liberalism and it's ways, and they are the movers and shakers of our society.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2338 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Simple fix. Don’t by a Chevy go get a good truck in the ford. I’m a Chevy man but I’ll never buy another car or truck from them unless it’s and old car. Let them close the doors and stop wasting tax payers money bailing them out.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Writing's been on the wall for many years....just gonna sit back & watch it all go down. Sister worked in a department of GM where big decisions were made. Heard a lot of stuff out of the plant that didn't impress me.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Well, just by looking at the new silveraydos you can tell gm is run by a bunch of muslims. useless pile of crap.

Now, if I were Ford, the only workers in my plants would be robots and there would be robots to fix robots. Or..... keep throwing away money to the unskilled monkeys and bullshyt policies in the modern uaw until all the plants are closed.

In summary, muslims can go to hell, uaw can go to hell.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, GM began it's decline when obama threw our money at their problem...at the same time he completely screwed the bond holders and effectively gave the union the company...then to make matters worse he forced GM to focus on "green" vehicles like the volt...we need to stop all subsidies immediately and let GM sink or swim on their own...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Agree that unions have LOT to do with undoing of auto industry and most others in this country.Add on greedy multi millionaires taking huge sums for not doing their jobs.

As for letting them sink or swim. If they are going to close plants here and build overseas then yes. If they are going to agree to total change and payouts then maybe keep them a float.There are more than just people working at plants that loose if they go under. Lots of industry dependent business' also rely on business from auto industry.

first need a truck average income folks can afford w/o having to make payment equal to house payment. I mean damn 45k for decent truck and going to 60k plus for top of line.Hell I know I am old but I remember when Ferrari 308 was less then that.

As for buying ford.Never happen Dodge I guess.Have had issues with my dodge ram with so called Hemi,lots.Still never buy a Ford.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
Heard that the CEO of GM makes 22 million a year. Really 1 would be plenty.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just saw a picture of the 2019 Silverado, WOW is it ever U G L Y! I’ll stick with my Toyota truck and my wife’s Subaru Outback. After owning Chevy vehicles for decades those two “Foreign ??? “ vehicles are far superior in ever way possible.

Bob

Posts: 3090 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For those that didn't take the time to look,here is a link with pictures of the 2020 Silverado.

One of the ugliest looking vehicles that I have ever seen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-silverado-hd-truck/

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
Simple fix. Don’t by a Chevy go get a good truck in the ford. I’m a Chevy man but I’ll never buy another car or truck from them unless it’s and old car. Let them close the doors and stop wasting tax payers money bailing them out.

my dad began driving Chevrolets in 1955 (Pink & Gray 2-door PowerPak Bel Air), then began selling them part-time in 1973, for another 20+ years:
with a few exceptions (Winter-beaters), I have driven them exclusively since 1977, but I refuse to buy another GM Soetoro-era or later vehicle

Posts: 309 | Location: USA | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
In my opinion, GM began it's decline when obama threw our money at their problem...at the same time he completely screwed the bond holders and effectively gave the union the company...then to make matters worse he forced GM to focus on "green" vehicles like the volt...we need to stop all subsidies immediately and let GM sink or swim on their own...

You have hit the nail on the head. Government does not belong in any business and needs to quit trying to pick winners and losers. And more proof that the unions are no longer pro-worker, only pro-union.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 560 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of MM Racing
posted Hide Post
This will change my mind about buying another GM product. I only buy american labeled cars/trucks and GM's decision turns my stomach.

-Phil Watkins
Midnight Machine Racing

Posts: 133 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post