Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
No Prep / Bracket
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
"no prep" means wad your **** up into the jersey wall or your competitor. No thanks.

Exactly!

If I wanted to compete in a demolition derby, I could have saved a couple of hundred grand.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:
Just like bracket racing, but way more dangerous. Roll Eyes Frown


On one hand, I don't disagree with you Bob. Especially with cars that are set up for full prep that we are used to.

But what if we shift what we are used to all together? For probably two decades now, it has seemed like a competition between tracks to have the best bite around. Even the lousiest prepared cars with moderate power can get down them without issue ever. And higher powered well prepped cars aren't afraid to set up for 6 second passes on any bracket day. But what if our expectations were only for a track that was consistently prepped, not uber sticky? Wouldn't we all just be forced to adapt? Maybe it would make us all better in some ways, even if not ultimately faster. And tracks could save money on reduced spray.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6318 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
In the 1985-1995 era I owned/operated a couple tracks. We focused a lot more on the keeping sand and grit out of the staging lanes and burnout area as it ended up on the starting line, still does today actually in a lot of places.
We would wash from burnout box to about 100' past start line every Friday with Tide. Sprayed about 150' out one time. From then on we used 50/50 mix to touch up a 20' area.
Cars were not as fast but the racing was every bit as good. Now a track spends $1000 on VHT every day and wonders why they can't show a profit. We used to use two drums a year and cars repeated as good as they do today.
Things change, that's the way it is. Is it "progress" maybe, maybe not. 25% of the cars today need the full 1/8th sprayed with 1000 HP engines to be deadly consistent.

A track could save a lot of money if they focused on getting the track surface clean, free of oil residue, then lightly sprayed it in first 60'.

Just an opinion, I hate seeing tracks dropping bracket races due to expenses and because racers ***** about no traction but haven't adjusted the suspension in 8 years.

We just need to work together to keep tracks open, that's all.


As the saying goes, you can put all the lipstick on a pig you want, but its still a pig! Same goes for track prep, if it's not clean your wasting your time and money with traction compound. The problem is that it take manual effort to clean the track to remove all the oils and crap then scrap as required. The easy part is spraying!!!!
 
Posts: 2123 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If no prep bracket racing would bring the sport back to where it was participation-wise in the early 90's for local tracks.I am all for it.

I remember a 4.90 car being top of the field and a 496 cin BBC was thought o be big motor. Local tracks all had a weekend bracket race program. We could 3 tracks every weekend. I think it would keep some of the high-dollar fast guys from running,but that might get more low buck guys interested in running.

The only prep I can remember was cleaning it and sending cars down. cpl time runs and the track was prepped . If you want to run 4.20's on it go for it. With today's ignition controllers it should be no problem.

Having it in bracket race and not heads-up should eliminate some of the balls to wall,hammer down no matter what runs.




America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
 
Posts: 4130 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later, the ballers will be able to make enough power to overwhelm even the current insane levels of track prep. That ought to just about kill the sport.


Mike
 
Posts: 1560 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We did the 7.0 Index at a No Prep Kings event, the race itself was quite fun despite the madness of a no prep event. It would be very interesting to have a no prep bracket race but sadly the bracket racers themselves would ruin it. There is no doubt you would have a 4.50 dragster or low 5 second door car show up, completely get crossed up and then blame the race track.

Here is a thought, if you need glue to take your shoes off dont show up?

If I can watch a pro mod style car go deep into the 3's I have a hard time believing that a lowely bracket race would be dangerous. Now I fully believe that people with fast cars will over estimate their car/driving ability only to pay the price for it. Half the field at a normal bracket race would not have been able to get down a track 25 years ago.
 
Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
A few years back a forward thinking NHRA track manager had a heads up series for T/D on 10.5 tires.
It was entertaining.
The operator's Friday night events made NHRA Unleashed look pitiful and they canned him.


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1542 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
A few years back a forward thinking NHRA track manager had a heads up series for T/D on 10.5 tires.
It was entertaining.
The operator's Friday night events made NHRA Unleashed look pitiful and they canned him.


I have heard of these. I think that would be great and would certainly put the tire into being the limiter. The blower cars wouldn't go for it.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6318 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am not tearing my stuff up on a No-Prep track. But as a Racer I try to set up my car where it will go down any track, any time. Like Fern said hook in a mud puddle. Really even with the No-Prep guys the winner is the one who can get the most power to the ground.

Here in Texas we have track temps over 150* and it can get gooey. Most of the tracks I have raced at here are really slick below 50* track temps. Even below 60* can get iffy if there is a lot of humidity and close to dew point. Now that could be track prep because up North they run in cooler weather and seem to be okay? Do not know what difference is on prepping hot or cold tracks and some may do better than others.

Point is you want to set up your car where it will work in worst conditions and not be dependent on having a "Perfect" track every time.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 3916 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The problem I have seen with "Killer prep" is if it fails and cars spin a .01-.03 there is a "sh-t storm of *****ing" and guys won't come back.
I actually think smaller tracks should focus on consistent conditions that don't require $1000-$2000 in glue per weekend.
An old saying I had at my tracks, and it is still true today, 90% of the *****ing comes from 5% of the racers. The other 95% are glad to be there and adapt.


www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

 
Posts: 1215 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
The problem I have seen with "Killer prep" is if it fails and cars spin a .01-.03 there is a "sh-t storm of *****ing" and guys won't come back.
I actually think smaller tracks should focus on consistent conditions that don't require $1000-$2000 in glue per weekend.
An old saying I had at my tracks, and it is still true today, 90% of the *****ing comes from 5% of the racers. The other 95% are glad to be there and adapt.


And the ones who set up their car so it works most any time any place and adapt are winners.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 3916 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
The problem I have seen with "Killer prep" is if it fails and cars spin a .01-.03 there is a "sh-t storm of *****ing" and guys won't come back.
I actually think smaller tracks should focus on consistent conditions that don't require $1000-$2000 in glue per weekend.
An old saying I had at my tracks, and it is still true today, 90% of the *****ing comes from 5% of the racers. The other 95% are glad to be there and adapt.


I'm more concerned with the consistency of the track. It doesn't have to be super sticky, as long as it's predictable. If they don't recover well from fluid being on the track....if they let it get dusty/dirty and they don't keep it consistent, then to me that's unacceptable.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6318 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you can race on a 150 plus track I think no prep is easy.
I've seen conditions so tight we were chunking the tires. Then there's conditions so bad you question yourself....


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4427 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bucky, You are right. Consistent prep is more important that just spraying more glue over a greasy track. It would upset some $100,000 car owners at first but it would also make a lot more racers with a budget more competitive. The racers with the budget, if they choose to stay, will adapt with timing, leave in high gear etc. Seen it, been part of it. Winners usually climb back to the top but the tracks can save several thousand dollars a month and maybe survive and keep bracket racing scheduled.
Every track is different and so are their customers (racers). It's not an easy solution but it is an option.

Jok


www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

 
Posts: 1215 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
If you can race on a 150 plus track I think no prep is easy.


Barry, been there got the t-shirt. Just a normal deal in July/August. Longer for our southern friends in Tehas.



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2882 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2024