DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    motorhome vs gooseneck living quarters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

motorhome vs gooseneck living quarters
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have thought about what are the essentials that make life more comfortable that we get out of the motorhome. Mostly it is a comfortable place to sleep for wife and I and my son, HVAC, a place to cook and eat comfortably. And a full bathroom where I don't have to crap in the shower and I can have enough water capacity to take a shower every day and not worry about running out over a longer weekend. And a place to get away from the majority of noise, particularly at night.

If I can figure out how to put all that into a trailer, with two dragsters and a golf cart, I'm going to try to do it. Buy a dually and get rid of the motorhome.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I see I didn't mention it before but I had living quarters in a trailer back in the day. Just don't come close to a motor home. Its a garage with a bed in it no matter how nice it is. Or are you keeping your race car in your living room? LOL!

Posts: 6248 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I have thought about what are the essentials that make life more comfortable that we get out of the motorhome. Mostly it is a comfortable place to sleep for wife and I and my son, HVAC, a place to cook and eat comfortably. And a full bathroom where I don't have to crap in the shower and I can have enough water capacity to take a shower every day and not worry about running out over a longer weekend. And a place to get away from the majority of noise, particularly at night.

If I can figure out how to put all that into a trailer, with two dragsters and a golf cart, I'm going to try to do it. Buy a dually and get rid of the motorhome.

In my mind and speaking as someone that gave up the comfort of "home living" for the "essentials" required at the races - you have the perfect perspective Bucky. If the comfort level ranked that high to me, then sweating, waiting for hours to make one 4 second blast and all of the other nuances with racing certainly wouldn't be part of the equation in this - again , my perspective.

Btw Bucky, if you dont already have a second dragster and want do want a LQ trailer that does all of this and marks all of those boxes (will haul one door car and one dragster or two dragsters and a pit support vehicle (semi stacker).....send me a PM - Ill hook you up!!! Big Grin

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
if you want 26 ft in the box you need a 48 ft min trailer to have any room in the living quarters. gooseneck trailers are far easier to get around and back than a large tag and pull much easier. a dividing wall is far ahead of a curtain and you can control access to the lq side. plus you have a truck that is a multiple uses not just sitting in the yard depreciating like a rv. i had a 48 a long time and sold it and bought a 53 with a lq slide and it has a ton of room in it and a shower big enuff for 2 lol. plus i can get in the truck and go anywhere while at the track during downtime.

Posts: 1255 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Try taking that to the beach or mountains when not racing.

Posts: 6248 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
don,t have to . have fifth wheel camper . try driving that motorhome everywhere thru the week a pickup goes lmao ... apples and oranges

Posts: 1255 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at getting a gooseneck trailer this winter to haul 2 cars. More than likely I will get a 48' trailer and build a portion to section off where the A/C needs to stay at night. I'm really just looking to have a bed and HVAC more than anything. I have an outdoor camp shower that works pretty well right now. It won't be the best thing ever, but its all I can afford to do at the moment.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Kathe:
quote:

In my mind and speaking as someone that gave up the comfort of "home living" for the "essentials" required at the races - you have the perfect perspective Bucky. If the comfort level ranked that high to me, then sweating, waiting for hours to make one 4 second blast and all of the other nuances with racing certainly wouldn't be part of the equation in this - again , my perspective.

Btw Bucky, if you dont already have a second dragster and want do want a LQ trailer that does all of this and marks all of those boxes (will haul one door car and one dragster or two dragsters and a pit support vehicle (semi stacker).....send me a PM - Ill hook you up!!! Big Grin

Ahh the boy has a dragster now that we are putting together. We do like our pipe racks.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Try taking that to the beach or mountains when not racing.

We said that forever. But when it comes time to head to Pigeon Forge, what do we do? Hop in the car or Yukon and drive over there and chill in a cabin in the mountains. We just never have gotten into vacationing in the motorhome. Plus reliability wise it falls far short of any of our daily drivers.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What is the length limit on goosenecks? How are the large ones pulling with your run of the mill diesel dually?
We have a 28' box trailer now. I think we could get both cars in, but that's it. No scooter probably. Certainly no golf cart. I don't know if I even feel good about my wife on a scooter honestly. Two cars and a golf cart are usually 34' trailer material. I imagine you don't have much left for LQ if it is not flexible enough to expand into the cargo area. I don't know that I exactly want to ruff it, and I know my wife doesn't. But if we have room to relax, and sleep and cook / eat, and a bathroom, we aren't exactly roughing it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the length limit on goosenecks? How are the large ones pulling with your run of the mill diesel dually?
We have a 28' box trailer now. I think we could get both cars in, but that's it. No scooter probably. Certainly no golf cart. I don't know if I even feel good about my wife on a scooter honestly. Two cars and a golf cart are usually 34' trailer material. I imagine you don't have much left for LQ if it is not flexible enough to expand into the cargo area. I don't know that I exactly want to ruff it, and I know my wife doesn't. But if we have room to relax, and sleep and cook / eat, and a bathroom, we aren't exactly roughing it.

I have a 53’ with 1’ extra height that I pulled with a dually for 15+ years before getting a short sport-deck toter. Worked just fine.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3203 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

I have a 53’ with 1’ extra height that I pulled with a dually for 15+ years before getting a short sport-deck toter. Worked just fine.

So now you have two living quarters of sorts? Or different trailer now?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Where do you have the generator on the lq deals so you don't have it under you making noise all night? Anyone mount them high and toward the back of the trailer?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
all i have had have the gen compartment integrated into the floor cabinets on side wall with a outside access door . gen is on slide and i use a honda 7000 and you barely feel it running at night. runs everything on 5 gals of gas for 14 hours , try that with a onan on your motorhome ... lmao

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I have a 50' Goose with LQ. For the reasons mentioned. I don't have to carry a smart(?) car so I just unhook and take off.
I don't have to be concerned with an extra vehicle for maintenance, insurance, and storage in off season.
Also, like above I have a 7000 Generac in side compartment on a slide and can barely hear it. But unlike his Honda, mine will not run 14 hours on 5 gal of fuel..lol

Go Goose, so much more convenient, my opinion.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
48 foot LQ Classic Dominator with 32 feet on the floor. We carry two dragsters and two scooters. Got rid of the golf cart and don't miss it. The living quarters are small but about all we do is sleep and take a shower in there.

If you jack up one dragster you could do the golf cart.

We take lots of folks to town that have Toters and Stacker trailers. I like being able to unhook and leave, go eat, go get parts etc.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

So now you have two living quarters of sorts? Or different trailer now?

Same trailer, but it’s not a LQ even though I slept in it at the track for many years. I just have a lot of stuff.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3203 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
48 foot LQ Classic Dominator with 32 feet on the floor. We carry two dragsters and two scooters. Got rid of the golf cart and don't miss it. The living quarters are small but about all we do is sleep and take a shower in there.

If you jack up one dragster you could do the golf cart.

We take lots of folks to town that have Toters and Stacker trailers. I like being able to unhook and leave, go eat, go get parts etc.

OK questions: When you say you could do the golf cart if one was raised, it would be back one in, raise it's nose to the ceiling, then golf cart under it, and then second dragster goes in beside it? Front and rear dragster tires beside each other or touching front to back? No canopy I suppose for golf cart in this situation?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I saw a gooseneck trailer with small access to bed area in front, and a large bathroom this weekend. Bravo nicely finished. Add a kitchen sink, micro and residential fridge and inverter with a few batteries and all we would need additionally is maybe some seating.

How much water can these living quarters or toy haulers carry?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Mine has 40 gallon fresh water, 2/30 gal waste water grey and black.

It's always just me in the trailer and I can go to a 4 or 5 day event with no issues.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post