New
Find
Notify
Tools

go pro..
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
hi can anyone recommend what go pro camera and what mount to buy for using on a dragster,jr dragster and my kids helmet for when they skate board. thanks

Posts: 12 | Location: maryland | Registered: August 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have bought about 5 of the GoPros from Hero 2 to the Hero 7 Black. I am less than impressed with them, the batteries do not last long especially in Texas heat. They are overpriced for what they are.
The earlier ones had a lot of fish eye newer models are better.
I mounted mine with the factory sticky mount to my helmet and fabricated a mount for on top my roll bar.

It is pretty cool to be able to record the runs from our point of view but I think there HAS to be a better, cheaper option some where.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago I was given a GoPro as a gift. It was the cheapest one they made at the time, and the videos still look awesome. I wouldn’t worry about having top of the line specs at a crazy price, unless you’re a video professional.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
If you can find a 5, you will be happy with that. Next would be a 7. Avoid 6. Ive been using go pros for about 10 years for racing and then softball games.

There are some copy cat ones that are much less but I appreciate the extra features of the go pro.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the Hero 5. Good camera, does what I want it to do. There are different settings to get the field of view how you want it. Battery life does suck though.....

I still have a Replay XD that I use in my car. At the time I think it was an infinitely better camera than the go pro. Still works awesome, and battery life is similar....too bad they went under though......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m apparently in the minority here but I have two hero 5 sessions which are the small cube ones and I think they take really great video. I use for racing and skiing. Last I looked you could find them for about $150 on eBay.

Here’s what I’ve found to be the best way to do it…

Roll bar clamp with 1/4-20 threads, all star performance makes them among others, or get one from McMaster carr and thread it.

Aluminum cage for GoPro with sliding back, they’re under $20 on eBay/Amazon.

Aluminum tripod mount which has either 1/4-20 threads or a provision for a 1/4-20 bolt depending what you get, I have both.

Short piece of threaded rod to connect the two pieces together and a jamb nut (or knurled thumb nut) on both sides and it makes for an all metal, sturdy mount that you can easily adjust the camera angle with as well.

I was just looking on eBay and found This mount, it has the threads integrated with the cage so no need for threaded rod or tripod mount, but may lose some adjustability.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post